What's new

Got here via Dollar Shave Club

Hi all. I've never shaved much. Up until the last few years my beard wasn't a big deal. It didn't grow much and I have a job where I don't need to shave. Combine that with the fact I hate paying for blades and you have a recipe for laziness.

The last couple of years my beard has been getting a lot thicker. I've been wanting to shave more often and then I saw the Dollar Shave Club video. I posted it on Facebook and said I was going to join. 2 different friends suggested a DE instead and pointed me here. After some serious lurking, I joined. My Merkur long handle should arrive today or tomorrow.

I tried a brush 10+ years ago when my wife bought a kit for me but didn't stick with it. I think it was a combo of not knowing what to do and not having the right soap. I've ordered the VDH deluxe kit so hopefully it'll be here soon.

I really like these forums. A huge wealth of info and very little snark. A subculture like this could easily have attitude but I haven't really found any yet. I'm sure I'll be asking questions over the next few weeks.

Thanks
Jack

Welcome aboard. I'm relatively new myself and agree this is a great community. Ask away and they will be more than helpful!

Welcome! Interestingly, before I switched to a DE (probably 2 months now - that's a guess), I too considered joining the dollarshaveclub. I was on gillette fusion before. Interestingly, after investing a month in DE shaving, I realized that besides the blade, how you lather makes a "huge" difference. After learning from the fine folks in this forum, I spent time in refining my lathering technique, started using a brush (instead of hand applying foam like I used to before) and then focussed on the strokes - XTG/WTG etc. and found that these things greatly improved my cartridge shaving too.

Bottom line, whether you choose to stick with DE or go back to cartridges, you will find a lot of good advice here that will help you improve your experience either way.

Welcome! The Merkur you bought is a good piece of equipment; it was my main razor for four years. If you haven't done so already, get yourself a blade sampler, from West Coast Shaving. It may take a little searching, but once you find the right blade for you, you'll never go back to carts again!

I need to order a sampler pack. I ordered a small batch of 7 O'clocks along with the Merkur blades that are included. Hopefully it won't take too long to figure something out.

Welcome aboard! Not much attitude to be found here, except that we try to get more people into wet shaving and enable them to buy more of the goods.

The folks here are great. Friendly, helpful & generous. I've learned more about shaving here, in 3 months, than I ever knew in my 38 years before joining. And I'm still learning new things all the time. :thumbup1:

Welcome!

I have several friends that swear by dollar shave club to save money for years now. At the time they switched I was already using straights (DE is a more recent adventure for me picked up to keep things easy during travel). Dollar shave club isn't a bad way to go if you are a fan of cartridges (you just wont find many cart fans around here, but there are some). I believe they source from Dorko in Korea.

Also, their advertisements are still hillarious!

Thanks all. My soap kit isn't here yet, so I used canned Nivea sensitive, but I completed my first DE shave this morning. No cuts or nicks, but I was being super cautious. One WTG and then one pass that was a mix of everything. My neck will take some work, but my face is much smoother. Just used the blade that came with my Merkur. We'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom