What's new

Got called a racist today by a Telemarketer

*TM calls*
*pick up phone and say* this can be easy for us, or it can be rude, I say no thanks, and we both hang up, or you can be hung up on....no thanks *click*

and as for the being called a racist, this happened to me once when I worked at Wal Mart....I've rarely been so mad! I can feel your pain. Because I was doing my job walking my department, and asked her if she needed help with anything, she said no and I went about other business. Few seconds later (after she had time to think about what she could get away with) she came back and started a blaring string of "you white" this, "just because I'm black" that...AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I felt like Timmy's avatar (good job getting in early on the reins here, too :thumbup1:). Luckily, a young lady I worked with at the time diffused the situation...she walked up to me, put her arm around me and gave me a kiss on the cheek and looked at the lady (my co-worker was black), the lady immediately shut up, you could tell her ankle was stuck in her esophogus she had her foot so far in her mouth, and left the store.
Man, I wish we could wisen up as a nation of people.

Last edited:
Anytime someone calls me a racist I tell them I hate everyone equally. :devil:

One thing I find odd is that so many people expect one guy to fix everything. Even if Obama's capable of everything he says the job he's been given is the metaphorical equivalent to turning a battleship; it's going to take a long time for anyone to notice the effects of any changes he does or doesn't make.

I'm surprised that the telemarketer did not engage you in a deep discussion of the relative merits of Keynesian theory and the Milton Friedman school of thought on those issues. Nonetheless, I'm sure he felt enlightened by the information you provided him.

But I'm a little confused about the private roads concept. How would the road company keep up the freeways in L.A.? A toll booth every two miles?

I'm surprised that the telemarketer did not engage you in a deep discussion of the relative merits of Keynesian theory and the Milton Friedman school of thought on those issues. Nonetheless, I'm sure he felt enlightened by the information you provided him.

But I'm a little confused about the private roads concept. How would the road company keep up the freeways in L.A.? A toll booth every two miles?

Jazz...it would be in a perfect world, hence no tolls:w00t:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I didn't know that anyone actually answered their phone in this day and age. I know we don't in our house. I can remember "driving blind" back in the days before caller ID.

Nowadays, if we don't recognize the phone number or a number doesn't come up then... "Hi, we are unable to get the phone right now..." :wink:

Why are you not listed in every available do not call registry? Why even engage a telemarketer in a conversation much less a debate?

I wouldn't pay it much mind. Really. It is one of those words which the feeble minded toss it around freely whenever they have no coherent argument to support their position. The goal is to silence other's from expressing their opinions - possible cogent - and stifle dissent. Do you really want to get into it with someone like that? I'd rather stare into the sun with binoculars.

American car companies that can't stay in the black, American airlines that need a bail-out every 5 years.

Tycho, Global Crossing, Enron, AIG, Arthur Andersen.

Not to mention Haliburton and Blackwater, Pfizer and Merck

Yeah, let's turn over our lives to the corporations--they have been doing SUCH a good job so far.

What can possibly go wrong?

Why are you not listed in every available do not call registry? Why even engage a telemarketer in a conversation much less a debate?

I wouldn't pay it much mind. Really. It is one of those words which the feeble minded toss it around freely whenever they have no coherent argument to support their position. The goal is to silence other's from expressing their opinions - possible cogent - and stifle dissent. Do you really want to get into it with someone like that? I'd rather stare into the sun with binoculars.

Very well said, Prof.

If it were a perfect world, why would they not be maintained?

Failing that, how do you hold them accountable when they declare bankruptcy? Good luck suing them then.

When a corporation goes bankrupt it either restructures to become profitable again or closes and its assets (in this case the roads) are sold off to another corporation or individual who hopefully will be able to manage them more competantly. You would simply hold the new owners accountable. Or even buy the road yourself and figure out how to make your own profit from owning the road.

Obama Facist?

I do not like the guy, but calling him facist is a bit extreme. Its like saying that Barney the purple dinosaur is the most macho thing ever.

I don't understand how people don't see the current political climate as fascist in nature. I don't believe in someone's policies, so I'm a racist?

You're not a racist. Obama's not a fascist.
Lets call the whole thing off!

Not that you aren't right to be offended by being called a racist - but you kinda opened the door to political discussion by talking about Obama. I'm sure you were trying to be funny, but one man's humor is another man's slander.

Seriously, you are making too much of this whole thing. Its probably best not to make too much small talk with telemarketers. In fact, its probably better overall to just sign up on the National Do Not Call list. Its remarkably effective in cutting down annoying calls. But if one gets through - just tell them "please take me off your call list" and hang up.

You're not a racist. Obama's not a fascist.
Lets call the whole thing off!

Not that you aren't right to be offended by being called a racist - but you kinda opened the door to political discussion by talking about Obama. I'm sure you were trying to be funny, but one man's humor is another man's slander.

Seriously, you are making too much of this whole thing. Its probably best not to make too much small talk with telemarketers. In fact, its probably better overall to just sign up on the National Do Not Call list. Its remarkably effective in cutting down annoying calls. But if one gets through - just tell them "please take me off your call list" and hang up.

Agreed.

The problem is somebody explain how owning a road can make a profit aside from an annoying amount of tolls?

We have toll roads here in Texas where the toll is collected automatically either from reading an RF tag on your windshield or by reading your license plate. There are no toll booths so no need to stop or slow down. You get a discount for using the pre-paid tag.

The roads are privately run and were built privately. They paid the state for the privilege instead of the state taxing us citizens to pay back bonds.

Lots of rules about the service they must provide and the amount they are allowed to charge. For example, when they built over existing right-of-way they were required to maintain a no-toll route as well as the new tolled route. It just wasn't limited access 70mph speed limit without traffic lights.

Last edited:
I don't understand how people don't see the current political climate as fascist in nature.

However, in a perfect world roads would be maintained by private corporations.

Since Facsim is the corporate control of the state, I'm really, really confused. :confused:

BTW, in many jurisdictions most roads are maintained by private corporations, or the bulk of the work is performed by private contractors. Public tenders are let to get the best deal. No, I don't claim that the best company is always chosen or the best work is always done, so I won't go down that road.

Since Facsim is the corporate control of the state, I'm really, really confused. :confused:

Now I am confused! Fascism, as traditionally defined, is an "authoritarian nationalist ideology focused on solving economic, political, and social problems that its supporters see as causing national decline or decadence."

Not quite sure where corporate control of the state fits into that definition. In fact, Fascism is the exact opposite - the state controls everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom