What's new

Got Bic Chrome blades today - wow!

I have bragged about, save for Feather and Kais, I can hardly tell any difference with blades of the wide variety I own. I'd ordered 100 of these Bics and noted they were made in Greece and not part of Gillette (P&G) unless I got that wrong.

Short of it is, I decided to use my Jagger DE89, a razor I hadn't much cared for but thanks to @alumladd, got a tip on using it which changed my opinion of the razor and now have it in steady rotation. I got these blades this morning and loaded one in. Cold water splashes for prep, no shower before shave. For those who care, soaked Kent BK8 silvertip, TOBS Sandalwood cream, face lathered. I actually noticed the blade (in a good way) as I was shaving and could hear and feel the cutting of whiskers. Seemed close to my Feathers in sharpness and smoothness. An easy three passes plus touch-ups for a great BBS shave. Details of the aftershave aren't relevant. I either got lucky with a terrific blade on the first one or Bics are a notch above the other blades I own save for Feathers and Kais, both of which are far more costly. Blades I own are listed in profile. Big thumbs up from my one experience in one razor. I look forward to using these Bics in my other razors and see if the experience remains.

It will even get better on the second shave :)

F047951B-FDF6-4440-AB45-9CA7D803542F.jpeg

I have bragged about, save for Feather and Kais, I can hardly tell any difference with blades of the wide variety I own. I'd ordered 100 of these Bics and noted they were made in Greece and not part of Gillette (P&G) unless I got that wrong.

Short of it is, I decided to use my Jagger DE89, a razor I hadn't much cared for but thanks to @alumladd, got a tip on using it which changed my opinion of the razor and now have it in steady rotation. I got these blades this morning and loaded one in. Cold water splashes for prep, no shower before shave. For those who care, soaked Kent BK8 silvertip, TOBS Sandalwood cream, face lathered. I actually noticed the blade (in a good way) as I was shaving and could hear and feel the cutting of whiskers. Seemed close to my Feathers in sharpness and smoothness. An easy three passes plus touch-ups for a great BBS shave. Details of the aftershave aren't relevant. I either got lucky with a terrific blade on the first one or Bics are a notch above the other blades I own save for Feathers and Kais, both of which are far more costly. Blades I own are listed in profile. Big thumbs up from my one experience in one razor. I look forward to using these Bics in my other razors and see if the experience remains.

Sometimes it takes awhile to find Nirvana! Congratulations!!

BICs are one of the sharpest blades around. Maybe even sharper than feathers.
Be interesting to see the edge profiles under an SEM. I would be hard pressed to think the Bics are sharper than Feathers or Kais but who knows?

I got a few tucks of the BIC free with an order. I was quite impressed with them. I’ve always been a die hard Feather man but these might be better. The BIC blades seem to be just as sharp as the Feathers but noticeably smoother. They must have a different coating.

I got a few tucks of the BIC free with an order. I was quite impressed with them. I’ve always been a die hard Feather man but these might be better. The BIC blades seem to be just as sharp as the Feathers but smoother.
Thinking the same thing Tomo…Yes, I love my Feathers, but only for 1 or 2 shaves. These Bics may be my 3 or 4 shave “go to” blades!

But the Feathers include a convenient blade bank. With each tuck.
Damn, is that what that is? ;) I think my Derbys, Wilkensons, and maybe one more blade in my stash has those old dispenser/bank boxes.

Damn, is that what that is? ;) I think my Derbys, Wilkensons, and maybe one more blade in my stash has those old dispenser/bank boxes.
Yeah you can slip the used blades into the back of the pack. It’s very secure as the blades have to flex slightly to go in. Once they’re in, they’re not coming back out.

I was horrified to find my four year old using a sealed blade bank like a rattle. She proved that with a bit of work you can indeed shake the odd blade back out of the slot of a traditional blade bank. Luckily no injuries. It would normally be stored out of reach but I took it to the garage to stick some Stanley knife snap offs into. She insists on helping me out there. I was so focused on what I was doing that I didn’t register what she was playing with.

Probably not worth the premium but it’s a nice touch. Their artist club packs have a similar compartment.

Congratulations on getting the Bic's!
They're sharper than Feathers after the first or second shave. And you'll notice it!
Difference is that the Feathers get harsh but the Bic's get smoother. I no longer use Feather!
The Bic's are in my top 3 favorite blades list!

This is what works for me and they're the only blades I need:

Mild razor=Bic's (Super sharp but stays smooth)
Medium aggressive razor=German made Wilkinson Sword (Almost as sharp and very smooth)
Aggressive razor=Gillette Platinum (Sharp enough & the King of smooth)

Yeah you can slip the used blades into the back of the pack. It’s very secure as the blades have to flex slightly to go in. Once they’re in, they’re not coming back out.

I was horrified to find my four year old using a sealed blade bank like a rattle. She proved that with a bit of work you can indeed shake the odd blade back out of the slot of a traditional blade bank. Luckily no injuries. It would normally be stored out of reach but I took it to the garage to stick some Stanley knife snap offs into. She insists on helping me out there. I was so focused on what I was doing that I didn’t register what she was playing with.

Probably not worth the premium but it’s a nice touch. Their artist club packs have a similar compartment.
I had to be much more careful with my shaving gear when our kids were little. And things that made fire, things that can go boom, etc. Having kids rocked my world (pretty much like everyone who's had kids ever).

Top Bottom