What's new

Got an old barbers tools.

I won an auction on the bay for a strop and three straights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220662789023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

The seller said that these were his grandfathers when he was a barber in Chicago and that the seller is 59 years old. His picture wasn't very clear and his descriptions of the razors was very limited. But I felt the need to roll the dice. So here is what showed up.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

All of the scales are in great condition, if just a bit boring. The coffins are pretty much wasted.

The smallest razor has a neat etching on the blade. It says made in "Germany. Single German Hollow Ground." It has a picture of a duckbilled platapus on it. It says KID on one side and has a crown over a sword logo and the number 2989 on the other side. One of the scales also has a a raised crown over sword logo. The blade is 4/8" wide and is 2 1/4" long.

The next largest is a 5/8" wide by 2 7/8" long blade. It has "Comfort 40" on one side. The other side says "Friedr Baurmann & Sohne Solingen Germany." It has a flower logo on both sides. This blade has a very tiny nick in it. It should come right out with minimal honing.

The biggest one is 6/8" wide by 3 1/8" long. It has "Guillermo Hoppe Solingen" on one side. The other side has "J.A. Henckels Zwillingswerk Solingen" along with the number 14 and the Henckels logo. This one is in great shape. A bit of corrosion but the blade is extremely sharp. I my just strop this up and try to shave with it before it ever hits a hone.

I don't know much about anything. So any information you can give me would be appreciated.

Looks like you got a great deal, three straights that look to be in perfectly usable condition. (After some cleanup and honing of course)

Although the Henckels may seem very sharp, if its been sitting that long I doubt you'll want to try shaving without sending it out to be honed first.

Legion

Staff member
The platypus one is cool. I bet there would be someone down here who would like to buy that one for their collection. :thumbup1:

I don't know if I would buy any straight razor gear named Deep-Cut though. :lol:

Thanks for the link luvmysuper. It looks like the flower inscription is the same as on my "Comfort" razor.

I love the "KID" razor with the platypus on it. I'd like to use it as a travel razor if it shaves well. I've already got a travel strop and I've got a travel Badger brush on the way from the BST.

I'm thinking that I'd like to remove the scales from the "Comfort" and do a restoration. I'll probably swing by Gilmer Wood and pick up something cool for some new scales.

I'm going to pull the strop apart. The linen part I figure I'll hand wash with some woolite and then iron it. I know I've got a bunch of leather products around so I'll treat the leather to try to soften it up. It's not bad now, but a bit of moisture in it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I've seen Comforts in SOOOO many barbers kits. I think they must have been a barber direct dealer or something. Nice razors. Mine are hollow grind but heavy for their grind/size.

I drilled out the pins on the comfort. I managed to save the washers. I wasn't planning on saving the scales which is a good thing since I buggered them when I center punched the pins. I did a tracing of the factory scales with the blade and photocopied a bunch of pages with five tracings per page. I'm going to try and work up a Celtic knot design and the cut new scales out of African Blackwood using a jewelery saw. I've got the coatcheck girl at work working on some designs as well. She's a jeweler and a much better artist then myself.

Top Bottom