What's new

Got a Tech - tomorrow is a good day

Hi everyone,

Got this Tech and am wondering if I can know more about it. From Mr. Razor's website I am guessing it is this one: it weights 49g, the handle looks similar to me and the cap has that "dashed" middle line that helps hold the blade and centers the cap in its base plate. I don't see any relevant numbers to help ID (wouldn't be surprised if I missed it).

$2014-11-12 18.16.04.jpg$2014-11-12 18.18.11.jpg

It is not in good aesthetic shape (the sides of the cap are dented, not sure if gentle filing would cause a bigger problem) but I did not spend a lot on it so worst case scenario I got a handle that fits perfectly the NEW.

Thanks!

Your link didn't work for me but that looks like an Early Tech (bar handle) which places it's date between 1938-1941

Nice find.

And you're right about the handle :)

Last edited:
A U.S. Pre-War Triangle Slot Fat Handle Tech. It was made some time between 1938-1941(1942-1945 was war production contract razors only) . Serial numbers stopped in 1930 and date codes didn't begin until 1951.

The Pre-War Techs are great razors! They are slightly more aggressive than the later models which many people really like. They are one of my favorite razors.

If the sides of the cap are just nicked and not actually dented it won't effect the shave any. If there are rough edges you could wet sand them down some to smooth it out but if the edges don't bother your skin any then I'd just polish it up with some Flitz, toss in a nice sharp blade and use it ;)

My first razor was a Pre-War Fat Handle Tech like yours but my is Canadian. Great for the beginner, and pro alike. It's the razor I compare all others to.

I like the simplicity of Techs, and they seem to give a good shave. I have 3, two are pre war. Mine are all ball end though. That handle will fit the head of most 3 piece razors made today.

I have one pre-war, fat handled tech. Really an amazing razor. I've been using mostly SE razor for the past few weeks, but just shaved with the Tech a couple/few days ago, and was reminded of how good it is.

I have several techs, including several triangle slots. I thought they were poor perfomers.. weak, uninspiring. Then i put in the right blade and wow.. a joy. An easy , relaxed shave that gets it done without drama, but gets it done. A smooth shave that is welcome on those days off when you want it layed back but want it done right.
(I won't say the blade that works for me.. it may not be for you and finding the right on is part of your discovery)
...and beat up razors have soul. Don't ever let that one go.

Thanks everyone. So the date was narrowed down to 3 years. Interesting!
Today I used the razor and the shave was fine but not great; it did not glide very well. Am blaming the unreliability of the soap I am trying to 3017 precisely for that reason. So my bad. I should've used a reliable soap for the first shaves until I get familiar with the razor.

I have several techs, including several triangle slots. I thought they were poor perfomers.. weak, uninspiring. Then i put in the right blade and wow.. a joy. An easy , relaxed shave that gets it done without drama, but gets it done. A smooth shave that is welcome on those days off when you want it layed back but want it done right.
(I won't say the blade that works for me.. it may not be for you and finding the right on is part of your discovery)
...and beat up razors have soul. Don't ever let that one go.

Winner, winner chicken dinner!! With a sharp & smooth blade the Tech can be pure ecstasy to use.

OP, try either a Personna Israeli Red or a Gillette Silver Blue blade. :thumbup1:

Pre-War Gillette Fat Handle Tech -- Top 2 razor for me...Load a Feather and you will be rewarded with an effortless, near-zen state, shave...

I like the Gillette Tech too...

I put a heavy handle on mine that I think gives it better balance.
With a sharp blade, it is very hard to beat. I use it more and more these days.

Top Bottom