What's new

Got a new (old) razor and I have a few questions...

Hi, I'm still fairly new to DE shaving but I bought this on eBay but I have a few Q's about it. Firstly what model/age do you think it is? It is made in Canada and has the serial # 807177 I have yet to try it out, but I will tomorrow after after cleaning/steralizing it. It's a fair bit weightier than my usual razor (which I like) but I think it'll be a bit more aggressive, so should I be a go a bit slower than usual? also I have never used open tooth comb - do you have to adjust your style at all?

proxy.php

proxy.php

It looks to me like it might be an Old Type Big Fellow that someone cut down at some point, possibly to get rid of a crack in the handle tube.

Thanks, yeah it does look like it has been cut down in size. Oh and I forgot to add that it came with a metal blade case (like the one in the latter pic)

he has the serial number up the top it is # 807177

the big fellows did have a shorter handle than the big boy though because of the width of the handle in pointing to the big fellow it depend if the key fits
the thick base plate makes it a later model. the old types also had silver plated blade banks Achin' to be

what ser numbers it have?

Last edited:
he has the serial number up the top it is # 807177

the big fellows did have a shorter handle than the big boy though because of the width of the handle in pointing to the big fellow it depend if the key fits
the thick base plate makes it a later model. the old types also had silver plated blade banks Achin' to be

ok....1915 single ring

ok....1915 single ring

No, that's not Single Ring knurling on the handle; it's too coarse. And the handle's too thick for a Single Ring.

I'm sticking with my original guess of a cut-down Big Fellow. It ought to have two wide smooth bands on either end of the handle, even if it were a Single Ring, and it's got a narrow, almost non-existent band at the top and nothing at the bottom.

No, that's not Single Ring knurling on the handle; it's too coarse. And the handle's too thick for a Single Ring.

I'm sticking with my original guess of a cut-down Big Fellow. It ought to have two wide smooth bands on either end of the handle, even if it were a Single Ring, and it's got a narrow, almost non-existent band at the top and nothing at the bottom.

looks like it......

Attachments

• $IMG_1740.jpg
    $IMG_1740.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 157
  • $P8080108.jpg
    $P8080108.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 155
  • $P8080106.jpg
    $P8080106.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 155
  • $orig.jpg
    $orig.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Oh, and as far as technique with the open comb, you don't really have to alter it much. Just find the right angle, like you would with any razor.

I actually think it's a bit easier and more intuitive with the open comb than with a safety bar razor. YMMV.

Hmm, well I had a shave with this today. Not a great experience unfortunately. Perhaps it was because I wasn't used to the razor or that this razor is too aggressive for my skin, but I had to go back to the Wilkinson's Sword Classic as the Gillette was irritating my face.

With the Old Type head I find I have to hold the handle much farther away from my face than feels natural at first to get the angle right. You want the feel of the cap on your face more than the comb. It also has a very narrow sweet spot relative to more modern safety razors so you've got to be very alert until you really get the feel down.

With that newer photo it looks like the center barrel is actually screwing all the way up against the base of the neck inside the handle. That's actually OK as long as the head stays good and secure and you don't end up with the tube of the handle spinning separately from the rest of the razor.

Top Bottom