What's new

Got a New Hat for Christmas

this replaces the one that got the golden treatment from one of our cats.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice. I never leave the house without a hat. Western, Fedoras, some are somewhat crossovers, have a Fedora formed from an old Stetson of my Dad's.

Another expensive hobby.

If you really want some good ones look at Art Fawcett's website

www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

Good straw's can be had from Panama Bob at http://www.panamabob.com/

If you want and authentic Indiana Jones type go to www.adventurebilthats.com/, Steve got the contract for hats for the last movie and his prices went doubled. I was lucky and got one prior to the movie contract, 100% beaver as are Art's hats. Art sends a device to measure the size and shape of your head for your first order with him.

Go to thefedoralounge.com and there is a lot of good hat info.

Have fun

I'm happy I stumbed on this post. I've been looking for a good straw hat. I'm going to order me up one of those panamabob.com hats!

Thanks for the heads up

I'm happy I stumbed on this post. I've been looking for a good straw hat. I'm going to order me up one of those panamabob.com hats!

Thanks for the heads up

You are welcome. I think PB operates out of Indiana, but is married to a lady from Ecuador, where the hats are acutally woven.

I have a couple. Price and quality follows the number of strands per inch. My best is either 150 or 200 and is very soft and pliable. I cannot imagine getting anything any finer, it would probably be floppy.

Nice. I never leave the house without a hat. Western, Fedoras, some are somewhat crossovers, have a Fedora formed from an old Stetson of my Dad's.

Another expensive hobby.

If you really want some good ones look at Art Fawcett's website

www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

Good straw's can be had from Panama Bob at http://www.panamabob.com/

If you want and authentic Indiana Jones type go to www.adventurebilthats.com/, Steve got the contract for hats for the last movie and his prices went doubled. I was lucky and got one prior to the movie contract, 100% beaver as are Art's hats. Art sends a device to measure the size and shape of your head for your first order with him.

Go to thefedoralounge.com and there is a lot of good hat info.

Have fun

I agree with all three choices here. i have several hats from Art and P Bob and one of the IJ IV hats myself. They are all fine gentlemen to do business with...

PB is from Indiana and yes his wife is from Ecuador and his brother in law is the main buyer down there...

I have a very fine hat and can;t remember how high the count, but Art blocked it and it is very stiff...

I love them all...

You can see them here pager 5-9

If you check out Art's website and see "The Tucker"...I designed that hat...goes great with a suit or jeans...

....and I love YOUR new Hat too...

you say you wear it when you go to the cat house ??? cool....:thumbup1:

Never imagined hat(s) to be priced so $$$$. :blink:
Definetly need to stay away from the hat obsession.

It's much like the RAD, in that there are guys who cheerfully plunk down big bucks and others who delight in finding quality at budget prices.

There is no arguing with the quality of the hats listed above.

There are other options that require less coin, with the Akubra hats being frequently cited as good bang-for-the-buck items, although not the screaming deal in the USA they were a short time ago due to currency fluctuations.

Much like razors, vintage hats are in higher demand than they were, but you can still score bargains. I picked up a Resistol "Open Road" clone, brand new for less than a quarter of what a newly produced Stetson would cost, and it's a better hat, IMHO.

Don't let high prices scare you off. If you fancy a quality hat, you don't have to break the bank, but if you get the ADs, all bets are off!

BTW, what make is the lid the OP is wearing in the pics?

+1

sweet
what maker?

Akubra Adventurer, replacing a model 3 Federation.

no, it's not made of the perp; we don't know for sure who it is(we have four).

if you want an Adventurbilt but can't afford the custom prices, there's always AB's factory lid, the Henry. every bit the quality of the custom hats but at a more affordable price. i might pull the trigger on an AB one day, but for now i'll stick with Akubra.

Somewhat off topic, I'm heading to Ecuador in a few weeks and definetly want to spend some of my, notably limited, funds on panama hats for myself and family back here in the states. Anyone have any on the ground/in-country experience with this? I'm also trying to buff up on judging quality since I'll be dealing with market merchants personally...

I agree with all three choices here. i have several hats from Art and P Bob and one of the IJ IV hats myself. They are all fine gentlemen to do business with...

PB is from Indiana and yes his wife is from Ecuador and his brother in law is the main buyer down there...

I have a very fine hat and can;t remember how high the count, but Art blocked it and it is very stiff...

I love them all...

You can see them here pager 5-9

If you check out Art's website and see "The Tucker"...I designed that hat...goes great with a suit or jeans...

....and I love YOUR new Hat too...

you say you wear it when you go to the cat house ??? cool....:thumbup1:

Yep, all good folks. It's been a couple of years since I ordered from Art and he was extremely easy to work with, putting together exactly what I wanted from descriptions on my second job. The first he got the brim width off just a little and offered to take it back, but it looked fine and the wife liked it so it stayed, bet he was happy about that.

Steve's Adventurebuilts just about doubled in price since I purchased mine so he is out of my price range for a good beaver nowdays.

For everyday wear I tend to grab an Akubra Banjo Patterson, in their heritage felt. At about 3 years old it is getting nice and soft and is just plain comfortable plus the size and style fits me.

Top Bottom