What's new

Got a new favorite lavender - what's yours?

Lavender is a fragrance note that I've long avoided. I acquired a bottle of Caron Pour Homme as part of a trade a couple of years ago, and it won me over with the vanilla dry down as a great casual wear. Today I found a bottle of Art of Shaving Green Lavender Cologne Intense at Burlington for $19, and I have to say, I can see myself wearing this one a lot. The green, citrus and woodsy notes really smooth out the lavender for me. It doesn't have that sweet vanilla note like Caron, and so comes across to me as more of a classy barbershop scent. I tend to keep my fragrance purchase on the bargain or bang-for-buck end of things, so this one was a very pleasant surprise and hit well above its price point for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm still looking. Don't like vanilla; hate that good lavender is frequently blended with something. A pure linear lavender ... yet keep hearing of these deals on AoS, must check Burlington!

AA

I'm still looking. Don't like vanilla; hate that good lavender is frequently blended with something. A pure linear lavender ... yet keep hearing of these deals on AoS, must check Burlington!

AA
I don't find it often at Burlington, but when I do it is usually a very good deal. I won't pay their retail prices.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Those AOS scents that have been showing up at various discount places, very sporadically, as far as I can tell, are fantastic deals in my opinion. I would say they were probably worth the original retail prices.

I would say that Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge is my very favorite lavender scent. It is lavender and mint. There are lots of great scents, of course, with big lavender notes.

Those AOS scents that have been showing up at various discount places, very sporadically, as far as I can tell, are fantastic deals in my opinion. I would say they were probably worth the original retail prices.

I would say that Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge is my very favorite lavender scent. It is lavender and mint. There are lots of great scents, of course, with big lavender notes.
As for the AoS Green Lavender, I think the retail price reflects the quality, and I find it more to my liking than many popular department store fragrances at similar price points. But with some patience I have been able to acquire the Sandalwood & Cypress, Vetiver Citron and Green Lavender for $20 each, which I think is a remarkable bargain. I have also scored the kelp aftershave balm for under $5. I truly enjoy it at that price point but would not pay retail for it. But I'm cheap and all into the bargain hunt.

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge is a killer lavender scent. Chatillion Lux Lavande Poivre is another really nice one.

They’re both pretty pricey though sadly.
I've heard good things about Oxford & Cambridge, but it hits well above my price point. I'm afraid to try a sample for fear that I will then feel I must have it.

I've heard good things about Oxford & Cambridge, but it hits well above my price point. I'm afraid to try a sample for fear that I will then feel I must have it.

You could always go searching for a reputable decant site for a smaller size bottle!

I own C&S Oxford and Cambridge (one of my favorites), and have tested Green Lavender in the AOS store. IMO, they are very similar. If you like Green Lavender, you will almost certainly like O&C. Fine Accoutrements Lavender pour Homme After Shave also resembles O&C. I pair them frequently.

I own C&S Oxford and Cambridge (one of my favorites), and have tested Green Lavender in the AOS store. IMO, they are very similar. If you like Green Lavender, you will almost certainly like O&C. Fine Accoutrements Lavender pour Homme After Shave also resembles O&C. I pair them frequently.
Are they similar enough that owning one would make the other redundant?

I'm not sure. It's been a while since I sampled the Green Lavender but I recall them being quite similar. I would try to get a sample of the O&C before buying a full bottle. It's a little pricey!

Ach Brito Lavanda from Portugal. A fine Lavender scented cream, excellent value.

Smells wonderful. To me, predominantly lavender scents in general have little longevity. For me, Lavanda has virtually none.

Good question. I would have considered myself rather familiar with O&C. I have sampled the AOs Green Lavender at an AOS store. It did not strike me as that similar to O&C, but frankly I had not remembered the AOS as having mint notes--to me a hallmark of O&C--and multiple on-line sources state that the AOS does have heart peppermint notes. Thus, I apparently have no business opining on scents at all! I am very frustrated not to be able, for the most part, to find these AOS intense scents at big discount prices locally, and I have really tried. I did manage to get two bottles of the Vetiver, which I like a lot. As I recall, I have at least liked every scent in this AOS line, and aside from the Vetiver Citron, really liked the Green Lavender and the Sandalwood and Cypress.

My wife is OCD about lavender so the green lavender was one of the first things I bought. I actually ended up tossing it (I should have PIFd but I think I had just discovered the forum). The AoS Cream/Soap lavenders are great but the green lavender cologne feels quite off. In my mind the Castle Forbes Lavender is the lavender to judge all other lavenders by. I realized afterwards they are perfumers who modify their base to match the scent and you can tell in fact their focus is on the scent.

I like one or two discontinued ones such as Atkinsons and Yardley. Cella is quite good and cheap. Mostly post shower I use “poor man’s“ Oxford and Cambridge - 1/4 pint Everclear, 1/4 pint spring water (or a bit less), tablespoon+ of high quality oil of lavender (as much as will dissolve), 20 drops oil of spearmint, 10 drops oil of peppermint, 10 drops of Mysor sandalwood. Shake Well. Let it integrate for a week or two. Shake and apply liberally. Like most true lavenders it lasts about 1/2 hour.

I meant to mention this earlier and I am sorry if this is a repeat, and I also hate to be bringing up unobtanium, but the Saint Charles Shaving lavender and Bulgarian lavender colognes or edts, or whatever Sue called them were very nice, nearly pure, as I remember it, lavenders. I think the Bulgarian lavender may have been a one off for some B&B Mod get together. I actually think the SCS Bulgarian lavender shaving cream's scent was an even better lavender scent. The BL edt is close in scent to the SC, but not exactly the same.

As I recall the Castle Forbes lavender, it is indeed quite nice.

Top Bottom