What's new

Got a Gillette flare tip and like it. What next?

Got my Gillette flare tip 66 and used it twice. Love it. It's rugged and tough looking and gave me a shave almost as close as my merkur 37C. This flare tip looks a million times more durable than my merkur.

So what next? A red tip for more aggression? Maybe a Schick krona? I don't think I need an adjustable. Can't be bothered to play around with the settings.

Easy, pre-war Tech fat with fat handle. Plenty of ones with excellent nickel plating available. There are good ones in gold plate, but not a fan of how gold easily gold wears.

I can second the Red Tip, and the Tech. My postwar fat-handled model is quite mild, and partnered with a Feather blade, delivers a fine shave.

But what is the difference in aggression between the red and flare tip? A lot? Does it have more blade exposure or gap?

I do prefer aggressive razors.

Brother Majesty,

I recommend a Gillette Red Tip for your next razor, since you prefer aggressive razors. The Red Tip definitely is more aggressive than the flare tip, but it's not insanely aggressive.

And everyone should have at least one adjustable! I used to think adjustable razors were a gimmick, but I was ignorant. If I could have only one razor it would be an adjustable. All the adjustable's are outstanding! They enable the shaver to adjust the aggression of the razor to his unique skin and face.

Who says you play around with settings? Find the best setting for your face and leave it there. That's what I do, and I believe at least 2 out of 3 adjustable razor shavers "set it and leave it" too. I have a Fat Boy. Slim. Super Adjustable, long handle and short handle versions. Apollo Mikron. Parker Variant. Merkur Progress. Merkur Futur. And a Merkur Vision 2000. I love 'em all. No clear favorite.

The Gillette Black Tip shaves like the late 1940's Super Speed, very smoothly! The aggression is similar to the Flare Tip.

BTW if you prefer aggressive razors, forget the Tech and the Schick Krona. They are excellent tools, but mild shavers.

I don’t like the Flare Tip. I’ve used a lot of other Gillettes. My favorites are my ‘36 Aristocrat, Senator, Ranger Tech, and the open combs. The Flare Tip is not aggressive enough.

Red tip is the most aggressive SS Gillette made the blue tip the least aggressive all others fall somewhere in the middle.
I've shaved with all the SS variations and this was my conclusion.
Using a 1 - 10 scale for super speeds here with 1 being the blue tip and 10 being the red, the black tip versions, either handle would fall on a 2 or 3.

Depending which year flare tip you have the next closest one would be the 60s style flare tip, they have a c clip in the handle and would have been made after they discontinued the red and blue tip models. They would rate about an 8.

If you have the 50s style one, they have a proprietary maltese style security screw in the handle that one would rate about a 6.

The 58 TV Special and 40s style SS would be about a 7.

The black handle ones with 60s diamond base plates and 70 - 78 oblong base plates about a 5.

78 and up black handle ones with the square base plates about a 6.

Though not Super Speeds the Ranger Tech razors, 41 or 46 versions would rate about a 9.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
But what is the difference in aggression between the red and flare tip? A lot? Does it have more blade exposure or gap?

The Red Tip is a bit heavier with more blade gap. More blade gap can also increase blade exposure.

Gillette razors over the years progressively become more mild and more user friendly. If you like efficient razors, the older the Gillette the more efficient.

Solid advice in this thread. The Red Tip is heavier; that makes a difference. It is more assertive. The handle is great! And it is affordable. You can find one in user grade all the way up to mint. They were made from 1955 until 60. Working man's Aristocrat.

To be fair I left out 2 Super Speed variations but only because they are not common razors to come across.

If I ranked them based on above they fall into the following

47 NDC no notch 40s style super speed with the creased safety bar like all notched super speeds 47 and up which rates about a 7. It shaves a little more efficiently than the notched versions.

47 NDC no notch 40s style super speed without the creased safety bar like the Ranger Techs and no notch Aristocrats, this one would rate about an 8. It shaves like a hybrid between a Ranger Tech and the later 40s style super speeds.

One other thing I left out on the other post is a secondary way to tell the difference between a 50s and 60s style flare tip super speed. They changed the TTO knob itself, they have a different grip pattern.

I would go with a Gillette NEW. Easy to find, not expensive, and different from a TTO. The NEW is my favorite Gillette ever and a good chance to try a fairly mild open comb.

Here’s another vote for the prewar fat handle tech. They can be picked up at for 15-$20 in good condition. Great shave!!

hey guys, thanks for all the help.

I need time to digest these massive amount of info and do some research.

I know nothing about vintage razors.

But right now, I'd say I'm leaning towards a red tip or an open comb of some sort from Gillette.

hey guys, thanks for all the help.

I need time to digest these massive amount of info and do some research.

I know nothing about vintage razors.

But right now, I'd say I'm leaning towards a red tip or an open comb of some sort from Gillette.
Much as I like my Red Tip, the NEW Short Comb model (from about 1938) gives a great shave too. I doubt you can go wrong with either.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Bear in mind the NEW LC and NEW SC, both OC, are two very different razors. They have completely different base plate designs. There is much to read around the forum on both razors.

Top Bottom