What's new

Goofy shaving lingo

I enjoy a lot of the terms that we throw around on this forum. But like any form of jargon, some of them land flat for me.
Of course, others may enjoy those very same things and be annoyed by others. What bugs you?

I'll lead off with "bloom" as applied to putting water on soaps.
"Bloom" makes total sense when used in how a brush knot opens up -- but to me, it makes no darn sense in the context of soaps. I wonder how it got started.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I hate bloom in that sense. Never met a soap that needed it, plus agree with the name. Don't care for post bloom brush photos, but the name makes sense. Trying to think what other terms I dislike.

BBS. Until someone comes out with an aftershave/cologne called Dirty Diaper. Besides, I don't like comparing my face to anyone's butt. If any of you guys soak your beards in Huggies or Depends as part of your pre-shave ritual and I've offended you, I'm sorry. :blink:

DFS. I sure hope every shave is a DFS. Aside from BBS, is there any other kind? :bored:

Wet shaving. This is my ichiban number one gripe. If water is the first ingredient, it's all wet shaving. :001_huh:

Canned goo. It's shaving cream in a pressurized metal container. Shaving goo comes in wooden and plastic containers, too, including canisters, pump bottles, and squeeze tubes. It all gets gooey when you add water. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Kind of agree on BBS, but at least it's descriptive. Same with wet shaving; when I still used carts/disposables and canned shave cream, I still used water, in the shower; doesn't get much wetter than that.

Hi,

Wet Shaving makes sense, since there is also Dry Shaving. And, the two are about as equally employed.

Two of the shaving result terms are mentioned. Don't forget the other two: SAS and CCS. All four describing how many directions one can still feel stubble (3 to 0)....

Stan

"Hobby"........Shaving is not a hobby for anyone.

Collecting every razor, brush, soap etc. known to man IS a hobby.

I don't care for the term "aggressive." It has too many connotations--efficient, harsh, rough, dangerous, etc. However, it seems to have been adopted by almost everybody.

I agree with "wet shaving," especially if it's used to distinguish shaving with a DE/SE/straight razor and brush-applied soap/cream, as opposed to Barbasol and a Mach 3.

I'll probably get some disagreements here, but "YMMV." I think it's used just fine many/most times, but sometimes I suspect (but can't prove, of course), that people are quick to say "YMMV" to excuse performance issues that could be addressed with either better technique or more patience. For example, problems generating a good lather with a particular soap. Also, sometimes it seems as though people use the phrase to refer to differences in preference or personal tastes, rather than performance.

Wet shaving as a term is redundant in general usage. I have dry shaved a few times, but that's an exception.

Mark

My MMOC SE and MWF gives a DFS and my NDC OT with a GSB is on par with my G1 FB on 6 with a 7OCG.

We're so acronym heavy I actually had to pause when someone asked, "What's an MMOC"? :blink:

My MMOC SE and MWF gives a DFS and my NDC OT with a GSB is on par with my G1 FB on 6 with a 7OCG.

We're so acronym heavy I actually had to pause when someone asked, "What's an MMOC"? :blink:
I'm pathetic. I actually followed that and instinctively knew exactly what you were saying.

I often soak my soaps before use but I have never bloomed.
We do get carried away with acronyms. It's especially annoying when there are multiple meanings for the same letters. By the way, CF is Castle Forbes. Think of something else for Chiseled Face.
The "F" word in reference to feeling your face after a shave needs to go away.
And worst of all... that 4 letter acronym that is way overused to indicate that different people enjoy different things. I swore to myself before joining B&B I'd never use it and I'm not going to start now.

Top Bottom