What's new

Goodwills

Are cased Goodwills in good condition desirable as collectors pieces? I know that this is a loaded question with many variables, I just don't see many people talking about them. I know what they are and what they look like.

The reason I ask, I have a friend at an antique (actually it is a gun show) show in Tulsa right now. He just picked up several cased razors for me, one being a Goodwill and another being either a Fatboy or Slim. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DL

Last edited:
There were 6 or 7 variants of the Goodwill razor. These are very nice and somewhat rare razors. I have a couple in their boxes but I don’t recall and that came in cases.
Do you know which variant this one is?

Thank you for the quick reply, Ray. You are correct, he actually said "box" instead of "cased". When he said that, I just assumed cased.

I am not sure of the variant and unfortunately, he will not deliver to me until Tuesday. I will post pics as soon as I get them.

DL

I could never work out why they they made that design to secure the blade in a diamond pattern. They did that design once for no good reason, now razor blades are still cut out in that pattern which makes them a little loose for the regular round securing posts that olds and merkurs and numerous other brands use.
For such a limited run, that razor shaped all razor blades still to this day.

Was it a gillette marketing or patent thing?

Thanks, but that doesn't explain the different blade securing indentations.
I remember reading about another company* using cross hatches where gillette old/new improved used the circular posts going through the head (old, new improved).
The goodwill seems to be a play on that, getting rid of the circular posts and using a shape to fit with the cross hatches, and that seems to be the only reason why the goodwill exists, as they moved onto the centre bar (NEW) or blade edge securing tabs (Early techs) quickly after.
So the only reason why razor blades have a the 'squarish shape' hole where the olds, new improved, mekurs have a round post, is because of this one series of razors, and the cross hatch design from a company that gillette bought out.

* A company that sued gillette, and gillette bought them out rather than settle I believe.

The goodwill exists because of the great depression. Monopolizing cooperations were heavily under fire at the time. I presume Gillette put it out to cool hard feelings, to show their consumer basis that it was ALL about profit... You bought a pack of blades and you got a razor free ("through an act of good will"). Gillette wanted you to buy Gillette blades thereafter for your free razor so that made these razors have funky caps and plates so only Gillette blades would fit.... though Gillette said at the time it was a "technological improvement".

The GoodWill was made from Old Type- and NEW-parts. Buy 5 NEW Gillette blades to get the GoodWill razor free. This was a simply promotion.

Mine is a different variant from Achim's. $14 from da Bay. As you can see the box has seen better days. I have never used it though.

proxy.php

Cheers.

Top Bottom