What's new

'Goodwill' shaving

A couple of questions for the experienced. Thank you in advance.

Not long ago in a thread I responded to someone that I wouldn't likely buy more razors, having three at the time. Well, I'm up seven (not including a Lady Gillette for my wife) and another one on the way (Canadian made Old style). So that's out the window.

I've been wanting to try an open tooth so I've been lurking around for a "New" given it's reputation I've read on this forum (also have acquired a Fat Boy, ball handle Tech and a black tip SS, all in very good shape).
But in my less than astute quest for the New, always looking for the deal, I inadvertently bought a Goodwill.

My question is, does this razor have the same shave experience as the New? The design sure looks very close, teeth angle and bend etc. Though obviously the blade security is different with diamond shaped studs and a little different shaped plate. Not sure about the cap geometry.
I'm spying a New, but curious about this one. The shave I got with it was great. Open tooth was no problem, very nice and close.

I also have one more question I hope someone picks up on. Please.
Regarding the black tip (X4) I bought (got it cheap and in great condition) in an initial quest for a 40's SS. I was curious, does it shave the same as the reputed 40's TTO SSs, or do I need to keep looking? :001_rolle

Yes, I'm sick. Help.

Last edited:
The Goodwills I've come across have all had the long combs and they've all shaved the same as a long combed NEW.

Thanks for the lowly reply cooncatbob.... :tongue:

Any other New and 40s SS/Black tip guys out there willing to share their experience, or do I have to register on SMF? :biggrin:

I have several Goodwill razors and enjoy using them. They're not as aggressive as the older razors; but might be a tad more aggressive than the NEWs.

I've never really had an enjoyable shave from any of the Superspeeds - 1940s or any of the color-tipped ones. They're much loved by many folks, but I have yet to be very impressed.

From what I understand, Goodwills were made from left over Old Type and New parts with the exception of the cap which was the only concession made for a razor that was practically given away.

Doc.

Thanks for the lowly reply cooncatbob.... :tongue:

Any other New and 40s SS/Black tip guys out there willing to share their experience, or do I have to register on SMF? :biggrin:

I don't know why you think my reply is lowly.
NEWs are one of my favorite razor heads, I buy them and have them replated to sell with my custom handle.
They're not only great shavers but very sexy looking.
proxy.php

Top Bottom