What's new

Goodwill Hunting Part 1

I count 10 pin designs, based solely on the Patent documentation. The 170 looks like it is a direct reflection of Gaisman's influence and the Probak. Which 2 or 3 are you talking about?
It is funny that the "next" was basically Otto Roth/Rotbart and Gaisman taking Gillette in a "NEW" direction.

US1905699-0.png

The first of the three I was thinking about was similar to the fig #4 above except it doesn't have the cross at the end of the tail .It has the circle and the line at right angles but not the cross

US1905699-1.png

The other two are the the ones in figure 15 and 16 , I'm going off memory of an old thread on the Probak that said that after Gaisman took over Gillette they made these 3 pins types. I thought I had bookmarked the old post but I can't find it ,but I'll keep looking and link to it when I find it

Glenn

I think I've seen the one you are talking about without the vertical tab. The one below is not listed in the Patent documentation. Even though it is more of a cross between 13 & 14, I call it No. 8 because No. 8 and 16 in the patent doc are the same.
probak-8.png

I do wish they were made out of a different metal.

Here are my 8 that I think are pre- Gillette , a few of them are just mirror images or reversed . I agree on the choice of metal.

Pro.jpg

Glenn

You got that one...nice. If Gaisman had a couple made after he took the helm of Gillette, nothing would make me happier than to find one that was brass and chrome or nickel.

Wow. Great informative OP, Glenn, thanks! - And thank you all for sharing all your nice razors. I love these pic filled threads!

I did not know anything about this model, it’s never really been on my radar - now it is!

Happy shaves, all :)

R

romsitsa

Beautiful collection gents. I firmly belive that the only difference between old types, News and their Goodwill relatives are the caps and how rigid they hold the blade so I managed to stay away from them.
Although the user converted examples (to accept three hole blades) popping up sometimes on the bay are very tempting.

Adam

This thread is a great resource! Thanks for starting it Glenn. I had no idea there were so many variations on the Goodwill. You have done some great research!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep, great thread, thanks for posting it!

Top right: Red circle box #162 reverse stud , Made in the USA ,this model has the corner cutouts on the base plate and the crimped corners to help with alignment but the top cap still has a lot of play until the blade is loaded then it aligns surprisingly easily

That one makes me think of the NEW SC.

I only have one, the 175, I guess, and confess it shaves exactly like any other Long Comb.

Now you need a #162. :001_tt2:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yep, great thread, thanks for posting it!

That one makes me think of the NEW SC.

Now you need a #162. :001_tt2:

At this point ... It's ... Anyways. Enjoying the PAA Eclipse slant I won in the BC auction - only cut myself twice with it this morning!

Pretty sure Hannah's Dad was opened the box and thought twice. Thing has a gap that makes the London tube envious.

AA

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
At this point ... It's ... Anyways. Enjoying the PAA Eclipse slant I won in the BC auction - only cut myself twice with it this morning!

Pretty sure Hannah's Dad was opened the box and thought twice. Thing has a gap that makes the London tube envious.

AA
Oh Mike! Sorry to hear of the bloodletting!! You’re right ... I chickened out from using the slant (and I’m a Muhle R41 fan).

Those look like scratches from a brass brush. Here are a couple of pictures from mine. It's in use, so it looks like it. But I am really conservative on how I clean or restore mine too.

no-more-brass-brushes.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg
IMG_5250.jpg
IMG_5252.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If its down to bare Brass, using an old toothbrush with a polishing compound will clean up inside the recesses and grooves. I use a little dab of AutoSol on a toothbrush often, especially for cleaning up handles.

R

romsitsa

Just forget what I wrote earlier, had to bring this home.
Could you post some pictures of similar Canadian heads? Mine is straigth, all connecting points have nickel, so it was not modified, but there is simply no blade support, the cap leviates on the corner tabs. The screw is already overtightened as this is needed to force the middle of the cap onto the comb.
Is this how these Goodwills should work, or are the corner tabs pressed too deep and I should sand them?
Ps. with a regular Old type thick cap the fit is perfect.

IMG_4563.JPG IMG_4560.JPG IMG_4561.JPG IMG_4562.JPG

Thanks

Adam

R

romsitsa

Sanded down the tabs, it’s almost a snug fit right now, looks like the cap was bent on all corners when the tabs were stamped (really lacking qc). Think I’ll sand the tabs a bit further so there will be enough place for a new nickel coat.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello,

looking for some advice. The cap was dull grey with some shiny flakes left. It looked off, so polished up half of the cap. Now the grey areas look like polished nickel, but the flakes look more like chrome (lighter with a blueish tint).
Were these chrome plated? Other parts look like faded nickel.

B4693FE3-EB6B-4187-A21D-6BACD7C1A985.jpeg 7FCC8EC7-A637-436E-B1EE-7840C75A09C5.jpeg

Adam

Top Bottom