What's new

Goodwill Hunting Part 1

I have been a fan of the Goodwill for a long time, the Importe D'Angleterre Goodwill was the first razor that gave me great shave, really close, long lasting and no irritation, I was hooked . The variety , style and beauty of these razors has always appealed to me and their quirky history drawing from so many styles and brands added to their allure. I started to collect the different types and soon came to realize that there was also something new to discover. The Goodwill utilized the Old, New long comb, New short comb and the New Brit Flat bottom base plates. The handles used were from the Old style ball end, the New ball end , New Common Bar handle, the Probak and the Tech . Factories in Canada , the US, Britain, Argentina and Brazil all made the Goodwill . Gillette was not lacking in imagination or extra parts during the Goodwill era and a wide variety in the models were produced . I have 16 variations so far and their uniqueness may be up for discussion but I believe them all to be variations on a theme and sometimes the differences are minor . As for the shave, the Importe is still my favorite and in an old Goodwill post by Jeff it was referred to as the "Angel razor" and I concur. There are lots of great threads on the Goodwill so this one is more show and tell then informative .

OSGW.JPG

Here are my Goodwills based on the Old style base plate

Top left: Red circle box #164 reverse stud, Made in the USA ,with a cut out in the base plate on either side of the center hole aligns with the two square " pins " on the bottom of the top cap .

Top right: Red circle box #162 reverse stud , Made in the USA ,this model has the corner cutouts on the base plate and the crimped corners to help with alignment but the top cap still has a lot of play until the blade is loaded then it aligns surprisingly easily

Bottom Left: old style base plate with alignment pins common to the old type ,the corner cutouts and crimped top cap corners don't allow for the use of the old three hole blades .This one has the Probak handle and is Made in Canada .Haven't seen one of these made in the USA

Bottom Centre : Canadian reverse stud #162 ,this one does not have crimped corners on the top cap but does have the base plate corner cut outs. Only in Canada eh?

Bottom right : Canadian made old style base plate with corner cutouts and crimped corner cap along with the alignment pins . This one has an old style ball end handle , not sure if it is original due to the age of the handle but not impossible with Gillette Canada.

Unsure if the old style base plate were the first Goodwills or how long they were in production. But it must have been for a while to encompass the old ball handle and the Probak handle. Either that our they kept using whatever parts they found laying around the warehouse or left overs from other factories.

Brit good.JPG

Here are the Brit Goodwills

Top : black leather cased British Goodwill nickle plated with ball end handle.Base plate based on New long comb

Bottom Left: The Importe D'Angleterre made for the French market , it looks like it's English cousin and is based on New long comb , I think it is a superior shaver, probably all in my head YMMV.

Bottom right: The silver plated Brit flat bottom New long comb take on the Goodwill in an alligator case . This is uncommon razor and looks unused.

sag.JPG

The South American Goodwill

Left: The only Safety bar Goodwill to my knowledge , this one is based on the New short comb and comes with a Tech handle . Brazilian made , the South American factories may have made the last Goodwills based on the Tech handle.

Right : the Argentine short comb New with a common bar handle .The neck where it screws into the base plate is very thin compared to my other New bar handles

lcn.JPG

Goodwills based on the Long Comb New

Top Left: Canadian 175 in a yellow circle box , on the Mr Razor site the cardboard Goodwill boxes have a red or yellow circle on the left side .This razor also has the alignment cut out like the 162 but has an alignment bar instead of two square pins on the bottom of the top cap.

Top Center: the bakelite case here is the star , the razor is the common #160 . Uncommon to see these bakelite boxes without damage

Top left : Canadian #160 in gold with a Probak handle in a Red and Black case .

Bottom left : A made in the USA #170 apparently these where only made in small #s in 1931,The studs on this one are L shaped

Bottom right : Two variations of the Goodwill Special 175 , one gold and one in chrome , the chrome one doesn't look like a replate, I wasn't aware that the US factory made chrome Goodwills . I have seen two other chrome 175 specials on the popular auction site so I'm unsure if it they are original , if not I have a replated Goodwill.

Glenn

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great thread Glenn, thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together. This is a razor that had alluded me since I found out about them on this forum. I will be lucky enough one day to score one. Congratulations on having such a great collection.

Great thread, thanks for posting it. I will definitely be watching and may have something to contribute along with questions.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Glenn, thanks for the amazing post! I am also quite enamored with my Goodwills. I’ll get them in a group photo tonight after work.

Isn't it amazing how a mishmash can end up being a surprisingly good product?

I have several Good Will razors and I like 'em. I even had one re-plated in gold. I have never heard of anyone re-plating a Good Will razor.

Hannah's Dad

2CD8A43E-341C-4A40-8276-5E71456447C7.jpeg
Here’s my Goodwill ‘family’. One Canadian #162 (Old Type), two American #160s (New LC), and two British Goodwills for the French market (New LC).

All are phenominal shavers; though ‘my precious’ is the #160. I can’t explain why — it just combines smoothness and efficiency like no other.

Hannah's Dad

Great write up! I never even knew of this brand before and actually thought it was about the charity.
It was, in a way, about charity. The #160 razor itself was free! The cost was $1 — for the blades contained in the box. It was sold during the Depression era as a ‘goodwill gesture’, or so the story goes. Pretty cool history, and very cool razors.

Thanks for your kind words everybody ,nice to see others appreciate the Goodwill .

View attachment 922965 Here’s my Goodwill ‘family’. One Canadian #162 (Old Type), two American #160s (New LC), and two British Goodwills for the French market (New LC).

All are phenominal shavers; though ‘my precious’ is the #160. I can’t explain why — it just combines smoothness and efficiency like no other.

Very nice collection of Goodwills they all look like they are in great condition . I see you have the alligator case, it is one of my favorites , nice looking and compact. Glad you like the #160 , I believe there is a "precious" for everyone in the Goodwill family

Glenn

I broke ranks this morning and grabbed the 162 and was plesantly reminded of how smooth it was. I believe it will be time to break out a couple of Gaisman's "other" razors tomorrow.
IMG_5245.jpg

View attachment 922965 Here’s my Goodwill ‘family’. One Canadian #162 (Old Type), two American #160s (New LC), and two British Goodwills for the French market (New LC).

Very nice "family"!

The #160 was my first 3 pc. old razor. I'd just started looking around flea markets when I found it in (what I would figure out later) an old Valet case. I had no idea what it was but it was only a couple dollars so I thought, why not. When I got home, I took it apart and put it back together, it didn't seem like the pieces fit,
I thought I had bought a frankenrazor,
so I threw it in the drawer and forgot about it. It was probably a year later before I realized what it was, I put a blade in it and couldn't have been happier.

Hannah's Dad

Very nice "family"!

The #160 was my first 3 pc. old razor. I'd just started looking around flea markets when I found it in (what I would figure out later) an old Valet case. I had no idea what it was but it was only a couple dollars so I thought, why not. When I got home, I took it apart and put it back together, it didn't seem like the pieces fit,
I thought I had bought a frankenrazor,
so I threw it in the drawer and forgot about it. It was probably a year later before I realized what it was, I put a blade in it and couldn't have been happier.
Great story!

Here's my humble collection, all found in the wild. One of these days, I need to get around to cleaning them up a little.

Left to right; #164, #162, Special #175, #160
2018-10-25 19.05.11.jpg

2018-10-25 19.31.39.jpg

Here's all of them. #164, #162, #160, and 3 Special #175s

2018-10-25 19.33.35.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I broke ranks this morning and grabbed the 162 and was plesantly reminded of how smooth it was. I believe it will be time to break out a couple of Gaisman's "other" razors tomorrow.
View attachment 922985

Very nice , Probak surely was the inspiration for the reverse studs in the Goodwill family, Gaisman certainly changed the razor blade and we still see it 80+ years on in the modern blades we use today. It must have been interesting times with all the design changes and Gaisman taking over Gillette . They certainly produced some iconic razors that we still use and appreciate . The collecting bug has hit me the the Probak too , I have 8 different Probak pin styles pre Gillette and I believe that there were two or three Probak head styles that were produced with minor changes under Gillette after the companies merged.

Glenn

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Phenomenal thread! Thanks for the ongoing efforts.

I only have one, the 175, I guess, and confess it shaves exactly like any other Long Comb.

AA

Very nice , Probak surely was the inspiration for the reverse studs in the Goodwill family, Gaisman certainly changed the razor blade and we still see it 80+ years on in the modern blades we use today. It must have been interesting times with all the design changes and Gaisman taking over Gillette . They certainly produced some iconic razors that we still use and appreciate . The collecting bug has hit me the the Probak too , I have 8 different Probak pin styles pre Gillette and I believe that there were two or three Probak head styles that were produced with minor changes under Gillette after the companies merged.

Glenn
I count 10 pin designs, based solely on the Patent documentation. The 170 looks like it is a direct reflection of Gaisman's influence and the Probak. Which 2 or 3 are you talking about?
It is funny that the "next" was basically Otto Roth/Rotbart and Gaisman taking Gillette in a "NEW" direction.

Here's my humble collection, all found in the wild. One of these days, I need to get around to cleaning them up a little.

Left to right; #164, #162, Special #175, #160
View attachment 923001
View attachment 923003
Here's all of them. #164, #162, #160, and 3 Special #175s

View attachment 923004

Sweet collection, there seems to be quite a few in the wild here in Alberta. It is always nice to find one in person rather than to order online . I had to learn to identify the Goodwill types in the wild so I wouldn't end up with lots of doubles ,now I don't mind doubles as I have found subtle differences between them . It probably wasn't Gillette's plan to make exact models ,they just wanted to use parts .I have found differences in the same model depending on US or Canada manufacture.

Glenn

Top Bottom