What's new

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall….Fragrances!

The idea of seasonal scents is subjective. And while I generally subscribe to the notion, I’ve worn “warm weather” scents in the cooler months and “winter” scents in the summer. But for the most part my scent collection is divided into the seasonal divide of warm and cool.

So, on this, the first day of autumn (in our hemisphere ) what summer scents will you be sadly shelving for the season, and which are you most looking forward to using?

For me, I most enjoyed Bvlgari Aqva Amara this summer. Bought a couple years ago, I hesitated opening it after I heard it was discontinued. But this summer I did, and I’m glad. Citrusy orange and aquatic. Nothing I own smells like this, nor lasts as long. Great performer, unique fragrance. Just sad I might not be able to replace it.

Runner up – Davidoff Cool Water. I’ve used this iconic mainstay of the fragrance shelf more this summer than any time since I’ve bought it. It just works, in so settings, so many different occasions. Cool Water is over 30 years old and doesn’t smell dated to me.

Most looking forward to…this is tough. Most of my favorite scents are those that are commonly categorized as cool weather scents: Halston 1-12, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Quorum. However, I got several new fragrances just as the weather was warming up and I didn’t get a chance to wear them enough to gain a full appreciation. One was Bottega Veneta Pour Homme Extreme. This refined leather scent seems very promising. Another that got little use was Dior Homme Intense EDP. A wonderful scent, but with warm temps in Virginia, I couldn’t find the occasions to use it.

But the scent I most look forward to using this fall and winter is Caron Yatagan. I’m not afraid to don a bold scent, but Yatagan had me a little cowed. The hot weather just makes this fragrance explode on you. I’m thinking in cooler weather, with more clothes, I might keep this fragrant beast somewhat contained.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ever since I read about Yatagan's "hash pipe note," it makes me worry I smell like drugs ... :001_tt2: Wear it anyways!

Great thread. Tabac, Aramis Havana and many other "warm" scents coming up!

AA

Yatagan can be very potent. One spray will do it until the possibility of a warm room is gone! I never went past 2 sprays and I am not scared of powerful scents either. It’s a colder is better scent in my book.

I have many of the same scents you do. Agreed on the Aqva Amara. I have several Aqva scents and like them all in the summer.

Kouros and Polo are my fall go to scents. One has to be careful with both of them as well.

It really hasn't cooled off yet in Huskerland, but once it does, I will spray on scents like Quorum, Aramis, Giorgio, Sung, Lomani and Drakkar Noir. The cool air enhances fougere and Chypre type scents. Fall, my favorite time of year.

Ah, fall in the South. Instead of a miserable 100 degrees, we are down to a brisk 95.

It'll be another couple of months before I stash the warm weather scents and pull out my cool weather favorites.

Some of my favorites this summer:
Mugler Cologne - just nice and clean, super easy to wear

Fragrances of Ireland Patrick (bonus in that it will still hold up as a fall scent - it's a nice green scent that works year round for me)

Armaf Club De Nuit Intense - my best compliment getter, and another that can work year round)

Banana Republic Linen Vetiver - fairly linear but another clean scent for numerous occasions when you want to smell nice and inoffensive.

Scents I am looking forward to:
L'Occitane Eau De Baux - one of my winter holiday favorites.

Mahogany Woods - straight up winter cologne. It's brutally cloying in warm weather but shines and warms up a cold room.

Guerlain Habit Rouge - I only feel like I can pull this off right on a cool fall day.

Miller Harris La Fumee Intense - Incense, baby!

CK One Shock - cherry cigarillo, anyone?

RazoRock Puros - technically an aftershave, but it is a deep, rich humidor tobacco scent with amazing projection and staying power. Performs better than most of my fragrances.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

(Most of) my fall-winter line-up:
Mugler Pure Coffee
Halston Man Amber
John Varvatos Dark Rebel
Lalique Encre Noire A L'Extreme
Tom Ford Noir

image0 (3).jpeg

Not on this shelf:
Halston Z-14
Azzaro Pour Homme
CO Bigelow Elixr Black
Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Oud

Ah, fall in the South. Instead of a miserable 100 degrees, we are down to a brisk 95.

It'll be another couple of months before I stash the warm weather scents and pull out my cool weather favorites.

Some of my favorites this summer:
Mugler Cologne - just nice and clean, super easy to wear

Fragrances of Ireland Patrick (bonus in that it will still hold up as a fall scent - it's a nice green scent that works year round for me)

Armaf Club De Nuit Intense - my best compliment getter, and another that can work year round)

Banana Republic Linen Vetiver - fairly linear but another clean scent for numerous occasions when you want to smell nice and inoffensive.

Scents I am looking forward to:
L'Occitane Eau De Baux - one of my winter holiday favorites.

Mahogany Woods - straight up winter cologne. It's brutally cloying in warm weather but shines and warms up a cold room.

Guerlain Habit Rouge - I only feel like I can pull this off right on a cool fall day.

Miller Harris La Fumee Intense - Incense, baby!

CK One Shock - cherry cigarillo, anyone?

RazoRock Puros - technically an aftershave, but it is a deep, rich humidor tobacco scent with amazing projection and staying power. Performs better than most of my fragrances.

I'm in Florida and have similar sentiments.

The main thing is to wear something lightly and not try to make a big statement. I remember as a kid guys wearing lots of Drakkar Noir in Tampa and you don't want to be one of those guys.

I used to like Brut Revolution in Florida weather in the hot, humid season. It's mostly calone and black pepper. I also like Old Spice Signature Scent, but somebody had the brilliant idea to drop it, right around the same time P&G was trying to come out with their massive lineup of body-spray inspired fragrances.

I think Old Spice Fiji smells awesome in Florida, too bad they don't make a cologne. The body spray is also hard to find.

I'm in Florida and have similar sentiments.

The main thing is to wear something lightly and not try to make a big statement. I remember as a kid guys wearing lots of Drakkar Noir in Tampa and you don't want to be one of those guys.

I used to like Brut Revolution in Florida weather in the hot, humid season. It's mostly calone and black pepper. I also like Old Spice Signature Scent, but somebody had the brilliant idea to drop it, right around the same time P&G was trying to come out with their massive lineup of body-spray inspired fragrances.

I think Old Spice Fiji smells awesome in Florida, too bad they don't make a cologne. The body spray is also hard to find.
I agree with you on wearing light in the heat. You don't wanna be THAT GUY.

...nah - just not cold enough yet.

I've got a few scents that straddle that line between warm weather and cool weather...Kanon Norwegian Wood, Luna Prada Carbon, Salvatore Ferragamo's F by Ferragamo Black, couple others.

I was out on a cool night at my local discount store and picked up Aramis Tobacco Reserve, even though I had told myself I was done purchasing scents for a while. Guess I was too surprised see such a recent release at a great price. Aramis Tobacco Reserve should play well this winter.

I've got a few scents that straddle that line between warm weather and cool weather...Kanon Norwegian Wood, Luna Prada Carbon, Salvatore Ferragamo's F by Ferragamo Black, couple others.

I was out on a cool night at my local discount store and picked up Aramis Tobacco Reserve, even though I had told myself I was done purchasing scents for a while. Guess I was too surprised see such a recent release at a great price. Aramis Tobacco Reserve should play well this winter.

Chypres and leather scents are good in cold weather. Which we get very seldom around here.

Getting a balm for the winter months, since I’ve noticed my skin getting sausage-tight after a splash of Pinaud. Have it narrowed to: PDP no. 63, PAA Dragons Blood (but the menthol might be a deal-breaker), Luxe Por Homme by G Frankinsense and Myrrh. Which of these is the lease “old guy?” I’m a sucker for Pinaud’s scents, but the wife, not so much.....

I find I'm being pulled into wearing Kanon Agarwood.
It's inexpensive and I've gotten quite a few comments on it.
Definitely for the fall and winter. Its a really nice warm, woody scent.

Burberry London for men is probably the one I wear most in fall. Seems to only fit for fall season (i.e. not winter), probably because of the spicy notes.

Giorgio Armani Eau D'Aromes is also another one I like for fall.

Burberry London for men is probably the one I wear most in fall. Seems to only fit for fall season (i.e. not winter), probably because of the spicy notes.

Giorgio Armani Eau D'Aromes is also another one I like for fall.

DANG! Just discovered that Burberry London has an emulsion aftershave. Would have snatched that up in a gif! However, PDP 63 is definitely a hit and the scent is in the same ballpark.

For me Yatagan is definitely a winter scent. I love it. It is unique and when it dries down, smells incredible. My wife likes it as well. I'll also say Caron 3rd Man is a great winter scent. Its a combo if lavender and musk. I believe that Wholly Kaw's Fougere Bouquet would be incredible for the winter. As would Tabac.

Top Bottom