What's new

Good Way to Lose Customers

People in the various firearms businesses surely have plenty to concern themselves about. Loss of customers because of being cheap...and then trying to lay off the reason for it, should not be one of those concerns.
Once upon a time I patronized a rather nice gunshop in a town about an hour west. Actually did a lot of business there. Bought quite a few handguns (about five I think) and a goodly amount of ammunition, targets, etc. Also shelled out a lot of money to use their range over the years. But I'm not going back.
Couple weeks ago I visited this shop to do some shooting. Had the wife in tow. She didn't feel like shooting; just wanted to watch. Long story short. First, guy wants to charge her ($15.00) because he thinks she is gonna shoot. Advise him she isn't. So, then it's $7.50 just to go inside and watch.
"Insurance" I'm told. I call "Shenanigans".
But, I'm there and had to sight a new pistol. So...she gets to sit in the car. Less than a box on ammunition later, I join her and vow "never again".
Few days later I run into a good friend (insurance broker) who owns a local agency. After discussing this incident with him, he tells me that's BS, pure and simple. It is NOT an insurance issue. Similar to meeting friends for lunch at a diner; you aren't hungry so you don't eat but they do.
The insurance carrier is not gonna require you leave if you don't eat with your friends.
I mean....really???
So, that new Python on the horizon...and the Remington 750 .270?
That's at least two they lost. And be sure, this is a great story to tell others.
Sometimes I just can't help but wonder....

Last edited:
So, tell the store that? If they’d gotten that much business from me, I’d inform them of their future lost revenue from you and why, as well as your word of mouth recommendations going forward.

first time visit for me is unsatisfactory, I won’t tell ‘em, but I’ll word of mouth it.

and I have told businesses why I’ve voted with my wallet. What they do with that has been up to them.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
People in the various firearms businesses surely have plenty to concern themselves about. Loss of customers because of being cheap...and then trying to lay off the reason for it, should not be one of those concerns.
Once upon a time I patronized a rather nice gunshop in a town about an hour west. Actually did a lot of business there. Bought quite a few handguns (about five I think) and a goodly amount of ammunition, targets, etc. Also shelled out a lot of money to use their range over the years. But I'm not going back.
Couple weeks ago I visited this shop to do some shooting. Had the wife in tow. She didn't feel like shooting; just wanted to watch. Long story short. First, guy wants to charge her ($15.00) because he thinks she is gonna shoot. Advise him she isn't. So, then it's $7.50 just to go inside and watch.
But, I'm there and had to sight a new pistol. So...she gets to sit in the car. Less than a box on ammunition later, I join her and vow "never again".
Few days later I run into a good friend (insurance broker) who owns a local agency. After discussing this incident with him, he tells me that's BS, pure and simple. It is NOT an insurance issue. Similar to meeting friends for lunch at a diner; you aren't hungry so you don't eat but they do.
The insurance carrier is not gonna require you leave if you don't eat with your friends.
I mean....really???
That's at least two they lost. And be sure, this is a great story to tell others.

Actually Tim it was two Pythons. Don't forget the one for me. :w00t:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I mean....really???

I also have a local spot that sells guns on one side and a full range on the other. The gun sales side, employees are very helpful and courteous. At least until they get your money. The range side? not so much. Rude, arrogant and definitely, indifferent to the customer. They only reasons for it I can think of is, 1. They don't get paid much. 2. EPA and other federal and state restrictions or fees cost them so much, they have to pull a rabbit out of their hat by charging us BS costs, in order to turn a profit from "the range side."

Definitely not an excuse for the BS, but is a reason for it. I like to support a local business when buying my guns over somebody big and national like an Academy Sports, even if it costs me a little more change. But when that local does stuff like this to their locals, I will run to Academy in a heartbeat.

OkieStubble

So, tell the store that? If they’d gotten that much business from me, I’d inform them of their future lost revenue from you and why, as well as your word of mouth recommendations going forward.

first time visit for me is unsatisfactory, I won’t tell ‘em, but I’ll word of mouth it.

and I have told businesses why I’ve voted with my wallet. What they do with that has been up to them.

+1 :a14:

I also have a local spot that sells guns on one side and a full range on the other. The gun sales side, employees are very helpful and courteous. At least until they get your money. The range side? not so much. Rude, arrogant and definitely, indifferent to the customer. They only reasons for it I can think of is, 1. They don't get paid much. 2. EPA and other federal and state restrictions or fees cost them so much, they have to pull a rabbit out of their hat by charging us BS costs, in order to turn a profit from "the range side."

Definitely not an excuse for the BS, but is a reason for it. I like to support a local business when buying my guns over somebody big and national like an Academy Sports, even if it costs me a little more change. But when that local does stuff like this to their locals, I will run to Academy in a heartbeat.

That's where an ffl comes in handy.

Shipped from anywhere directly to you. Send payment and a signed ffl copy and your firearm arrives with a signed copy of the seller's ffl. Enter the acquisition into your books and that's the process

OkieStubble

That's where an ffl comes in handy.

Shipped from anywhere directly to you. Send payment and a signed ffl copy and your firearm arrives with a signed copy of the seller's ffl. Enter the acquisition into your books and that's the process

Tis true. I can go to the B&M who is rude and indifferent and waste their time by putting my hands on guns and getting a feel for what I want, and then make a call to my FFL Dealer to purchase it. There is a saying, "nothing personal, just business." :)

The only reason for poor customer service is ignorance, be it the owner or their employees. Some people simply don't get it. You can bet if it's the owner that there will be an excuse/blame placed elsewhere when the business fails. One of the hallmarks of poor service being a lack of self awareness.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

The only reason for poor customer service is ignorance, be it the owner or their employees. Some people simply don't get it. You can bet if it's the owner that there will be an excuse/blame placed elsewhere when the business fails. One of the hallmarks of poor service being a lack of self awareness.

I agree. Sometimes I can't help but wonder when it comes to some of the employee's, how much of it is "culture"? Gun culture can be a very macho place for many. Lot's of macho guys working behind the gun counters at ranges and such with guns on their hips. Maybe they just think they are exuding a macho aura with some of the attitudes they project and don't realize it's coming off as looking like pricks?

We cops are guilty of this crap all the time. :)

Tis true. I can go to the B&M who is rude and indifferent and waste their time by putting my hands on guns and getting a feel for what I want, and then make a call to my FFL Dealer to purchase it. There is a saying, "nothing personal, just business." :)

90%+ for me is older. Not many of what I look for in the counter. Most are locked in the back and almost impossible to see if you are not a "good buddy" and even then the best rarely see the light of day.

I agree. Sometimes I can't help but wonder when it comes to some of the employee's, how much of it is "culture"? Gun culture can be a very macho place for many. Lot's of macho guys working behind the gun counters at ranges and such with guns on their hips. Maybe they just think they are exuding a macho aura with some of the attitudes they project and don't realize it's coming off as looking like pricks?

We cops are guilty of this crap all the time. :)
Mostly the younger guys in my far past experience. I drive less like an idiot and don't visit with them anymore.

OkieStubble

90%+ for me is older. Not many of what I look for in the counter. Most are locked in the back and almost impossible to see if you are not a "good buddy" and even then the best rarely see the light of day.

I am definitely in the typical gun buyer class. And while you might not be a collector, the stuff I have seen you post, definitely puts you in a different class of shopper than I. :)

If I care about a business, I might tell them why I'm no longer giving them my money. If not, well, if they figure it out, fine, if not, that's the free market's cute little way of improving businesses.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I may have mentioned a recent experience but unfortunately it's also been fairly common.

I like experienced guns and those are seldom on the higher shelves in the display if there at all. But recently I saw what appeared to by a reasonable price on an older Colt 1908 and so even though I've never liked the Colt 1908s I've shot I made an offer which the seller agreed was reasonable but then refused to ship it to me (I always ask before committing just because it has happened fairly often) based on my type 03FFL (C&R). Granted having it shipped to a local FFL would only add another $20-50.00 but I simply don't appreciate dealers who refuse to accept a valid Federal License. So I explained that was a deal breaker and thanked them.

I see it's been relisted for sale at an even lower price but I'm no longer interested.

Reminds me when I lived in FL at times we would fish from a Pier. The normal charge was $10 a day. One time my wife wanted to drop off my lunch. The owner wanted to charge her $5 to visit the Pier. The last time I went there.

OkieStubble

Reminds me when I lived in FL at times we would fish from a Pier. The normal charge was $10 a day. One time my wife wanted to drop off my lunch. The owner wanted to charge her $5 to visit the Pier. The last time I went there.

My wife and I had a similar experience years ago at a waffle house. Even though we both had ordered our own plate of food, she went to try something off of my plate. We were approached by the wait staff who said we couldn't share food off of our plates? I told them it was already paid for. They said it didn't matter it was waffle house policy?

I was referred to management and said, if it's our food, I can take it in a to go box and feed it to her in the parking lot, but I can't let her have a bite off of my plate? It's already paid for? Management advised it's policy and we would be asked to leave. Sure enough, I gave her a bite from my plate right in front of him and he very politely mind you, asked us to leave.

That was 20 years ago, have never darkened the door of a waffle house since. :)

Food isn't that good anyway. I'd rather go to Huddle House or IHOP if I had to eat breakfast at a chain restaurant.

Top Bottom