What's new

Good travel brush?

Actually, I'd heard so much about C&E on this site that I was planning to stop in... and try not to leave with (too many) more shaving creams...

Thanks!

Josh

Josh,

The C&E Travel Brush is a pure badger brush, and a bit smaller than the C&E Best brush that is so often recommended here. It comes with a travel tube, but it is not a turnback. Not a bad brush, especially for $35 bucks...meaning you can get both the travel brush and the Best badger!

Randy

I use a Dovo travel brush:

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522951/296971.htm

$89, It is pretty expensive but for it's small size and excellent quality I wouldn't swap it for anything, it fit's nicely under a strap in my wetpack too. I looked at the Simpson's Major and it is a lovely brush but it was too wide., the Vulfix Turnback (I believe they rebadge it for T&H and Taylor's) is even bigger.

.2 cents

The small Rooney brushes are quite nice, and a good value for the money. I picked up a large medicine tube the kind pills come in from the pharmacy and she slips right in it.

Jim

misterjoshua said:
Just putting it out there... any recommendations for a travel brush?

It's not a disorder if I REALLY NEED it... :biggrin:

Josh
the Cyril R. Salter has got a travel brush or london shaving co
they all come in pure badger or super or pure bristle

I just bought a Saville Row Travel Brush from Charles at QED based upon his recommendations..20mm knot..for $28 you can't beat it, and if it's anything like SR's other brushes, this would be a steal.

Justso said:
I just bought a Saville Row Travel Brush from Charles at QED based upon his recommendations..20mm knot..for $28 you can't beat it, and if it's anything like SR's other brushes, this would be a steal.
I have a C&E Travel brush that I purchased long before I was aware of the quality and value of the Savile Row brushes. When one of my coworkers was about to purchase a travel brush, I suggested he look into the Savile Row line. I must admit that the Savile Row has maximized the value equation in this category. The brush and tube were equal to or superior in all aspects to my C&E and it cost about 20% less. The pure badger hair was of significantly higher quality, just loaded with tapers, it was a truly splendid bundle.
So, unless you are looking to spend some serious money, I recommend the SR travel brush without reservation.

I have the T&H Turnback travel brush and I'm very happy with it. It's easy to place the brush on it's side on top of the tube for drying before I store it for travel. The size works well with some of the smaller shave cream travel size tubs as well. It's expensive but does seem to be very dense and well made, I don't expect to buy another travel brush for many many years.

I myself have been lusting after the Simpson Major for some time now. Quite pricey though. In the meantime I ordered a 4" plastic tube from Ems place for $5 that my shavemac fits into perfectly. It's got a ventilation hole on the top but I generally just leave the top off altogether to simulate the open-ended turnback design. The brush dries much quicker that way.
Cheers,
Jeff

I don't know what it is... I don't find the turnbacks as appealing as the others. Thanks for all the tips, though -- food for thought!

Josh

FWIW: this might get boring, but nevertheless: i have about 8 travel brushes or so, but the Simpsons Major turnback is my absolute favourite. When purchased in best badger from Lees Razors, it will cost about $100,- i believe.

Peter

I use my SR101, and store it in a pill bottle as mentioned above--works great and no dedicated travel brush.

Hey, wait a minute--that's no fun!:tongue:

drP said:
FWIW: this might get boring, but nevertheless: i have about 8 travel brushes or so, but the Simpsons Major turnback is my absolute favourite. When purchased in best badger from Lees Razors, it will cost about $100,- i believe.

Peter

Hi Peter,
I've been told (by Lee if memory serves) that the difference between best and super is not huge in most Simpson brushes but that in the major the super is much nicer and worth the extra money. Does this seem like a reaonable staement to you?
Thanks,
Jeff

I cannot agree with Lee; i stated a long time ago that i can't see any differences between MY Major in super and in best; if i were in your place, i would definitely get the Major in best: you'll get yourself an heirloom travel shaving brush with superbe properties.

Peter

jmhAZ said:
Hi Peter,
I've been told (by Lee if memory serves) that the difference between best and super is not huge in most Simpson brushes but that in the major the super is much nicer and worth the extra money. Does this seem like a reaonable staement to you?
Thanks,
Jeff
I think you are quoting one of Joel's recommendations here... Based on the experience of several knowledgeable wetshavers, this statement flies in the face of reality.

Travel brush, shmavel brush. I use my C&E best and keep the box it came in. Works great, and has been around the world with me.

Top Bottom