What's new

Good Thermos?

Legion

Staff member
Took away/ enhanced...same difference.

Weird watching movies from the 60's, 70's and 80's. People smoked constantly. Everywhere.

Yep, I think Madmen is pretty accurate. First thing my old man did when he woke up was stick a smoke in his mouth. Everywhere you went was full of smoke. Nobody noticed. I remember every public place the seats had ashtrays built into the arms. Movie theatres, buses, doctors offices... I probably passively smoked half a pack before I got out of the maternity ward. :001_tongu I still turned out 6'3 and 200 pounds. People make a lot of fuss these days.

OK, hopefully you won't blast me for scientific method because I pulled the experiment a few minutes early.

room temperature 21C
time 12:25, 5 minutes early on the Stanley, 15 early on the no-name.
Stanley 1L 65C - too hot to drink
no-name 1L 68C - pulled at the same time. I doubt the 15 minutes made that much difference.

Observations: the cup and neck was warm to the touch at the 12 hour mark on the Stanley, the cup on the no-name covers the neck, but was also warm in a similar manner. The body of both thermoses were cool to the touch.

At 24 hour the cup and neck was cool, but perceptibly warmer than the body of the thermos, they were about the same for both.

The no-name, made in China thermos is about 3 years old, the Stanley 1L is about 3 months old, purchased at Walmart. It is also Made in China. I conclude that the 1L Stanley stainless thermos bottle made in China is a worthy thermos. The no-name 1L bottle with similar dimensions is also a worthy thermos. The cup is an important part of the insulation system.

Phil

edit: I don't know why the room temperature is reading 19C in the photo.

edit 2: interesting. The no-name holds 3 cups 6 oz, the Stanley holds 4 cups 6 oz. Sorry, no big metric measuring cups here.

Attachments

• $0228021238.jpg
    $0228021238.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Glad to know it looks like a decent score. The seller said it shipped out today, I hope to have it next week. My tea intake is about to skyrocket!

Edit: and they refunded $2.75 in shipping! Vintage Stanley for under $25 off eBay...

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
OK, hopefully you won't blast me for scientific method because I pulled the experiment a few minutes early.

room temperature 21C
time 12:25, 5 minutes early on the Stanley, 15 early on the no-name.
Stanley 1L 65C - too hot to drink
no-name 1L 68C - pulled at the same time. I doubt the 15 minutes made that much difference.

Observations: the cup and neck was warm to the touch at the 12 hour mark on the Stanley, the cup on the no-name covers the neck, but was also warm in a similar manner. The body of both thermoses were cool to the touch.

At 24 hour the cup and neck was cool, but perceptibly warmer than the body of the thermos, they were about the same for both.

The no-name, made in China thermos is about 3 years old, the Stanley 1L is about 3 months old, purchased at Walmart. It is also Made in China. I conclude that the 1L Stanley stainless thermos bottle made in China is a worthy thermos. The no-name 1L bottle with similar dimensions is also a worthy thermos. The cup is an important part of the insulation system.

Phil

edit: I don't know why the room temperature is reading 19C in the photo.

edit 2: interesting. The no-name holds 3 cups 6 oz, the Stanley holds 4 cups 6 oz. Sorry, no big metric measuring cups here.
Cool, so within 5 degrees of the vintage one. That's fine over that time period. Glad you got a good one. I think the problem with the Chinese ones is not that they CANT be good, but the QC is patchy, so it makes it a bit of a lottery. Like a lot of Chinese shaving stuff. The factory get paid based on the number of units that go out, not the number returned. But at least they seem to back their warranty, so if you were unlucky you could swap it.

Nothing works as well as a glass thermos IMHO but it is so sad when you accidentally drop the thing- so I stick with stainless now and just make sure that I heat it up with boiling water before filling it with the coffee I want to keep warm. I think the new, repro's, of the good old green Stanley are actually better than the originals, but "Thermos" makes a really durable and functional stainless one too.

K, so I broke down and got a vintage Stanley. (So did several others... he he he)... Blasted Legion and his enablization skills.

I need a mug now. A spill proof mug. So many today are clicky click like, I'm afraid that'll wear out. Or will it? What's a good one?

I have a vintage one like this. It's the business.
I bet you could find them on US ebay pretty easily.

proxy.php
I have one of these as well, they are great, I can fill it with hot coffee and it will still be warm (not hot) and drinkable 24hrs. later, I never owned a Nissan thermos but they are great quality also but more expensive, If you want the best bang for the buck the Stanley is probably the best bet.

Last edited:
k, so i broke down and got a vintage stanley. (so did several others... He he he)... Blasted legion and his enablization skills.

I need a mug now. A spill proof mug. So many today are clicky click like, i'm afraid that'll wear out. Or will it? What's a good one?
Nissan

Odd that I just saw this thread tonight, I just bought an Uno Vac stainless steel thermos at an antique store today. Just gave it a good scrubbing and plan to test it out tomorrow.

Great. Thermos AD is about to start! The price of the Vintage ones on eBay is nuts, but my dad used to have one from the early 90s that lasted until a year or so ago. Kept coffee hot through all day deer hunts; I know these work and I want one!

I've had this AD for a couple of years now. Like razors, its hard to walk past one when its selling for less than a buck at an estate or garage sale.

Craig, you have a bottle made in May of 1966. It was the transition bottle from the old cork stoppered Stanley of 1913-1964 to the screw in plastic stopper brought to market in 1967. It has the cup used in the later models. That should be an awesome thermos! Built like a brick outhouse! The best of both worlds! If you ever lose the stopper, you can use a No. 18 cork and not skip a beat.

I have one of these as well, they are great, I can fill it with hot coffee and it will still be warm (not hot) and drinkable 24hrs. later, I never owned a Nissan thermos but they are great quality also but more expensive, If you want the best bang for the buck the Stanley is probably the best bet.

I got mine from HS and my Grandpaws that he carried to work daily for 30 plus years he got it back in the 1960's
Boiling hot water prep is the key to day long hot coffee in a Stanley!

Craig, you have a bottle made in May of 1966. It was the transition bottle from the old cork stoppered Stanley of 1913-1964 to the screw in plastic stopper brought to market in 1967. It has the cup used in the later models. That should be an awesome thermos! Built like a brick outhouse! The best of both worlds! If you ever lose the stopper, you can use a No. 18 cork and not skip a beat.

Thanks for the info! It sure is a great thermos.

Odd that I just saw this thread tonight, I just bought an Uno Vac stainless steel thermos at an antique store today. Just gave it a good scrubbing and plan to test it out tomorrow.

Uno-Vac made a great thermos! Best pouring thermos I've ever used. Too bad they went out of business in 1985, management couldn't work with labor.

Top Bottom