What's new

Good Thermos?

Let the battle of the thermoses thermii

Let the battle commence!

$olcovers206-L.zip&file=2069277-L.jpg

Thanks to you enablers, I now have a 1qt 1970s Aladdin Stanley Thermos on its way to me ($25). I paid that much for a travel mug that wore out in two years.

It's really amazing how often when I'm browsing the ol B&B sub forums that I come across something I never knew I needed to buy

Testing both my thermoses. A modern Stanley 1L, and an unknown "Made in China" promo thermos.

I am using a digital Taylor meat probe thermometer set to C for continuity across the thread.
Room temp 21C (yes, I keep the house a little warm, 72F, since the heat pump makes the house feel drafty with the luke warm air)

Preheat with tap water, measured to 55C (seemed to float about from 53C-56C)
Boiled water in an electric kettle,
emptied preheat water
as soon as the sound of boiling stopped I filled the thermoses, the temperature tested to 97C-98C
Now we wait. I filled one at 12:30pm, the other at 12:40pm. The kettle only holds 1.5L

Phil

Great thread!!!

I collect vintage Thermoses, and have been using them for about a year in my wet shave routine.

I will heat water the night before and pour it into one of my vintage vessels (steel lined) and in the morning pour it into an insulated plastic bowl in which I soak my brush (I should mention I shave in the shower, FWIW.) I let the brush soak as I bathe and then shave at the end.

I have come across vintage Thermoses of all types and brands at the local flea market with an average price of .50-$1. The only thing is, getting some of them clean can be a bit of a chore.

I was a little low on funds this Sunday, or I would have purchased a NOS Stanly Aladdin 1 qt. size in the original box that a young lady was selling at the local flea market. The vendor wanted all of $8 for it.

As others have said, I would recommend avoiding the Stanly products produced in Asia. Not to be political, but these items are not quality items and do not perform nearly as well as their USA made cousins.

Since I see these quite frequently, I would be happy to keep my eyes open and purchase and ship to any members here the next time I come across one. Just let me know if anyone's interested via PM.

Beerman

Great thread!!!

I collect vintage Thermoses, and have been using them for about a year in my wet shave routine.

I will heat water the night before and pour it into one of my vintage vessels (steel lined) and in the morning pour it into an insulated plastic bowl in which I soak my brush (I should mention I shave in the shower, FWIW.) I let the brush soak as I bathe and then shave at the end.

I have come across vintage Thermoses of all types and brands at the local flea market with an average price of .50-$1. The only thing is, getting some of them clean can be a bit of a chore.

I was a little low on funds this Sunday, or I would have purchased a NOS Stanly Aladdin 1 qt. size in the original box that a young lady was selling at the local flea market. The vendor wanted all of $8 for it.

As others have said, I would recommend avoiding the Stanly products produced in Asia. Not to be political, but these items are not quality items and do not perform nearly as well as their USA made cousins.

Since I see these quite frequently, I would be happy to keep my eyes open and purchase and ship to any members here the next time I come across one. Just let me know if anyone's interested via PM.

Beerman

Dang, that would've been a good steal! Good to see you on the boards active, man! Hope all is well. We need to do lunch again. Or something. I've got half a mind to go hit the flea market this weekend.

I hate how everything is made in China now, I don't even feel safe drinking from things made in China, especially not boiling hot liquid.

Call me paranoid.

Legion

Staff member
I hate how everything is made in China now, I don't even feel safe drinking from things made in China, especially not boiling hot liquid.

Call me paranoid.

Meh, presumably the materials have to meet some international safety standard. Truth be told, you are probably safer drinking out of a modern Chinese product than a vintage American one, made back when there was no safety standards.

I'm betting the old thermoses work better because there is a layer of asbestos in there, or something. :wink2: They certainly didn't know or care about Bisphenol-A (BPA) or Phthalates back then.

Meh, presumably the materials have to meet some international safety standard. Truth be told, you are probably safer drinking out of a modern Chinese product than a vintage American one, made back when there was no safety standards.

I'm betting the old thermoses work better because there is a layer of asbestos in there, or something. :wink2: They certainly didn't know or care about Bisphenol-A (BPA) or Phthalates back then.

Now you tell us after we've all purchased 7 days sets of vintage Thermi

Top Bottom