What's new

Good Thermos?

Looking for something good. I'd love to get another glass walled, but they seem hard to find. And, if you do they want your first born. I use Thermos as a generic term. I know it's a name brand. Can be any brand.

For quality and durability you just can't come close to the Aladdin Stanley stainless steel insulated bottle. Twist open cap and nice cup. Almost all current all steel bottles copy the Stanley. We've had them fall out of trucks at highway speeds and they hold up. I don't think they hold heat as well as the glass-lined "thermos" but they get the job done.

For quality and durability you just can't come close to the Aladdin Stanley stainless steel insulated bottle. Twist open cap and nice cup. Almost all current all steel bottles copy the Stanley. We've had them fall out of trucks at highway speeds and they hold up. I don't think they hold heat as well as the glass-lined "thermos" but they get the job done.

Well, coming from Wyoming, I can believe you know cold weather and when a bottle holds up heat.

Are you looking for something to travel with (use while traveling) or will it be stationary somewhere?

Legion

Staff member
I have a vintage one like this. It's the business.
I bet you could find them on US ebay pretty easily.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Would something like this work for you? It is a little unconventional but it uses a glass bottle and they hold heat like nobody's business

http://www.zojirushi.com/products/affb

They are available at many retailers

http://www.target.com/p/Zojirushi-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-Thermal-Carafe-64-oz/-/A-10699757

travel. sort of. it'll stay in the truck with me at work (i'm a truck driver), and i'll take it home each night.

Are you looking for something to travel with (use while traveling) or will it be stationary somewhere?

Legion

Staff member
I've just been reading up on the Stanley Thermos I posted above. It seems that if you wanted one you should get a vintage one off ebay or somewhere. The new version is made in China and apparently doesn't work as well as the old ones did. Just thought I'd add that.

Also, get one with the solid stopper that you have to take out. They keep the heat better than the twist to pour ones.

Last edited:
I use a vacuum bottle (generic term for Thermos) daily to keep my black tea hot outdoors. I also have the Stanley/Aladdin 1 quart stainless-lined model, as well as a 16 oz. NOS glass-lined Thermos.

Both work quite well, keeping the tea piping hot for 6-7 hours. The glass Thermos does keep it warmer longer than the stainless Stanley, but not by much. A trick I learned to help the stainless bottle keep my tea hot longer is to first fill it with boiling water and let it sit for a minute, then immediately dump it out and put in the tea.

Pre-heating it makes a big difference. I prefer the stainless Stanley because it's not fragile like the glass Thermos... remember dropping your lunch box back in grade school? You would open your Thermos bottle and be treated to a cup of warm milk and glittering silver glass shards. :sad:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Another vote for the Stanley. A great thermos.

$stanley-classic-thermos.jpg

Pair it with the cooler lunchbox and you've got a match made in heaven.

$l_250_250_D0B7C770-9CC1-4631-920F-FE57303109C6.jpg

Another vote for the Stanley. A great thermos.

View attachment 223857

Pair it with the cooler lunchbox and you've got a match made in heaven.

View attachment 223858

I've got one of those Stanley's, but mine has a wide mouth and cup so it can be used for soup as well as coffee. I've probably had it for close to 20 years now, and the thing truly works as advertised. Truly a great product. Mine was made in the USA. As the earlier poster stated, fill it with hot or boiling water prior to dropping in the coffee, tea, or soup, and it stays nice and warm for hours.

Cheers

+1000,ive got one thats almost 30 years old and still keeps coffe hot all day,and they still make stoppers for it.the stopper is all that can break,although ive only broken 1

Legion

Staff member
Here's a question a bit off topic, but not really.

Does anyone know of one of these that is designed to fit in a bottle cage of a bicycle? Even if you put ice in a regular plastic bottle, in Australia your water is always warm after a few hour riding.

I've got one that looks like that which was a promotional giveaway for Husqvarna chainsaws. It's good if you only need a cup or two.

I have a 16 ounce and a 32 ounce model. The 16 ounce is perfect for daily use. Half a batch in a travel mug and the other half in the 16.

I've just been reading up on the Stanley Thermos I posted above. It seems that if you wanted one you should get a vintage one off ebay or somewhere. The new version is made in China and apparently doesn't work as well as the old ones did. Just thought I'd add that.

Also, get one with the solid stopper that you have to take out. They keep the heat better than the twist to pour ones.

That's good to know. I'll make sure to tell my wife so she doesn't try to sell mine.

-jim

Top Bottom