What's new

Good soaps that get no attention

Got a Klar Seifen and really like the scent and performance. Everybody complains about the tiny aluminium tub which gets dents very easily. But this one goes into my rotation.

I need to share a soap not getting much attention, CBL Premium Soaps. A new artisan to the world of shaving soaps, his soaps are outstanding, an elite soap in my den. Customer service is also top notch. Numerous scents to choose from, & so far, all the ones I have tried have been outstanding!

I need to share a soap not getting much attention, CBL Premium Soaps. A new artisan to the world of shaving soaps, his soaps are outstanding, an elite soap in my den. Customer service is also top notch. Numerous scents to choose from, & so far, all the ones I have tried have been outstanding!

Thanks for introducing these soaps. Based on the ingredient listing, they may be excellent soaps.

Water, Stearic Acid, Wagyu Beef Tallow, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Juice, Grapeseed Oil, Safflower Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Allantoin, Bentonite Clay, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol.

Thanks for introducing these soaps. Based on the ingredient listing, they may be excellent soaps.

Water, Stearic Acid, Wagyu Beef Tallow, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Juice, Grapeseed Oil, Safflower Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Allantoin, Bentonite Clay, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol.

+1 on CBL soaps. Very good performance and interesting scents to choose from. I recommend the Black Rose Oud as its my favorite of the 3 scents i have tried.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Stick with Williams exclusively in your daily shaving routine, and you'll discover it's as good as anything. Same goes for MWF.
I think that hits the nail on the head.

Folks with a rotation lose out. Once upon a time shaving soaps were meant to be the ONLY soap dad or grandpa had. They didn't have a rotation of soaps, brushes and razors they had 1 soap, 1 brush and 1 razor - and they liked it:).

Anyway, point being that if you use it everday, the puck behaves differently than if it's allowed to dry for several days. They were formulated to be used daily and still provide a good value by lasting long. If you want a good lather out of Williams, it should be used as intended and that is not part of a "line-up" of soaps.

...Folks with a rotation lose out. Once upon a time shaving soaps were meant to be the ONLY soap dad or grandpa had. They didn't have a rotation of soaps, brushes and razors they had 1 soap, 1 brush and 1 razor - and they liked it:)...

I remember once way back in the mid 70's I delivered furniture to an ol' fart and I kid you not he had a room FULL of Kellogs Corn Flakes boxes. Full all. :yikes: I had to ask about that & he merely replied that he liked 'em and there had been a sale.

That said, I think it's almost criminal that Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba doesn't get much traction nowadays as it is easily one of the best soaps I have used. I've used a handful of soaps as slick as it and the smell and after shave face feel is off the charts. Super "sleeper".

I think that hits the nail on the head.

Folks with a rotation lose out. Once upon a time shaving soaps were meant to be the ONLY soap dad or grandpa had. They didn't have a rotation of soaps, brushes and razors they had 1 soap, 1 brush and 1 razor - and they liked it:).

Anyway, point being that if you use it everyday, the puck behaves differently than if it's allowed to dry for several days. They were formulated to be used daily and still provide a good value by lasting long. If you want a good lather out of Williams, it should be used as intended and that is not part of a "line-up" of soaps.

Your comments make a lot of sense. I have a friend who loves MWF. It is the only soap he uses, so I purchased a puck to try . I have hard water, so it took me three days to figure out how to get a decent lather. Once I figured out how to use it, the lather was wonderful with excellent slickness, cushion and post shave. Other than the difficulty of lathering, performance ranked right up there with the best soaps in my den. However, because I have so many soaps in rotation, I knew that I would not be able to achieve the same results the next time I used it. Thus, I sent the puck to my friend for his use. I can understand how someone who uses MWF every day might love it. But soaps like Williams and Mitchell's do not work well as part of a rotation as they do not lather using the same methods as most artisan soaps.

I don't often bring up an old thread but found this one interesting.

I received a sample of Smokeberry Soap made by Lakewood Soap Company from a swag bag for a meetup that never happened because of COVID 19. I did a search and found very few comments about Lakewood Soaps and was surprised.

I am coming to the conclusion that at times fewer ingredients can make for superior soap performance. As an example the Smokeberry Soap. The listed ingredients are Tallow, Water, Shea Butter, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, and Fragrance.

I have used this soap nine times so far. From the first time I used it the performance of this soap has been excellent. It is one of the easiest soaps to lather. In addition, it is a very slick soap. It retains enough water to make for an excellent shave. I am not one who is concerned about scent. However, the soap has a pleasant scent so much so that my wife comments about how nice it smells.

Mystic Waters doesn't appear to get mentioned much these days. I picked up a puck of her Coconut Sandalwood recently and have been blown away. I've tried many many soaps and creams and the performance and scent are absolutely top notch.

Feel like I used to read much more about MW back 4 or 5 years ago. Michelle is doing something special and I'm surprised MW isn't discussed much these days.

Mystic Waters doesn't appear to get mentioned much these days. I picked up a puck of her Coconut Sandalwood recently and have been blown away. I've tried many many soaps and creams and the performance and scent are absolutely top notch.

Feel like I used to read much more about MW back 4 or 5 years ago. Michelle is doing something special and I'm surprised MW isn't discussed much these days.

The most recent video review I could find of Mystic Water Soap is one done by Ruds Shaves last September. He gave it a Shave Score of 91 which is an excellent score, especially for the price at which the soap refills are sold. It seems Mystic Water is competing head to head with Stirling Soap which offers similar performance and a similar price. Both offer a large number of scent options. Unlike Stirling, Mystic Water soaps seem to be offered only on the artisans web site which reduces the exposure of the soaps in the marketplace. Cold Water Soap Works has a similar marketing strategy; I do not see much mention of CRSW either, although their Glide soaps are quite good.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I rather like the Extro Cosmesi Pirata cream I have. Don't hear much about Extro Cosmesi.

extro-cosmesi-shaving-cream-pirata.jpg

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suspect that for many people excellent soaps are not considered a burden to the wallet. I know (because I've used them) that there are an abundance of very good soaps available for $10 less than I'm playing, but I'd rather have the top shelf soap than the $10.

I really enjoyed the process of trying nearly everything available on the market, but I've reached a point where I no longer wish to have a den full of "not my favorite" soaps.

I don't often bring up an old thread but found this one interesting.

I received a sample of Smokeberry Soap made by Lakewood Soap Company from a swag bag for a meetup that never happened because of COVID 19. I did a search and found very few comments about Lakewood Soaps and was surprised.

I am coming to the conclusion that at times fewer ingredients can make for superior soap performance. As an example the Smokeberry Soap. The listed ingredients are Tallow, Water, Shea Butter, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, and Fragrance.

I have used this soap nine times so far. From the first time I used it the performance of this soap has been excellent. It is one of the easiest soaps to lather. In addition, it is a very slick soap. It retains enough water to make for an excellent shave. I am not one who is concerned about scent. However, the soap has a pleasant scent so much so that my wife comments about how nice it smells.
I did a review of Lakewood a while back. I have three of their soaps: Coguette, Smoky Mountain Rain, and Prairie Song. I use Coquette every Monday morning in honor of Denise, but all of them are exactly as you described. I always get nice shaves with them.

Don't know if Maggards soaps have been mentioned , I understand that they are made by
"Through the Fire Fine Craft", odd name but I'm sure there's a reason for it. Anyway when
it's Maggards soap turn in the rotation I'm always impressed with them.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have samples of their Bay Rum and Egyptian Oudh to try. Will need to give Pirata a try as well.

Oh wow! They have a Bay Rum?!!! Oh boy...

To me, Pirata is what's termed an Aquatic scent with a very mild hint of some kind of berry...strawberry maybe...hard to tell. It's pleasant. Not overpowering, but nice and clean.

Oh wow! They have a Bay Rum?!!! Oh boy...

To me, Pirata is what's termed an Aquatic scent with a very mild hint of some kind of berry...strawberry maybe...hard to tell. It's pleasant. Not overpowering, but nice and clean.

Yes, haven't tried it yet, but it smells nice in the sample tub!

Screenshot_20200603-201058_Chrome.jpg

Pirata sounds like a nice summer scent, will add it to my to try list!

Top Bottom