What's new

Good soaps that get no attention

I have a couple of soaps that I think are excellent, but get very little attention here: Lather Bros. Life’s a Beach (tropical fruit scent) and Oz Shaving Tik-Tok (coffee/tobacco scent). They both have wonderful scents and scent strength IMHO, and performance is excellent, just a hair below what I consider my elite soaps- Declaration, B&M Reserve, Grooming Dept, Eufros, A&E and SV. Their prices are right, too. Oz I understand because it’s not sold by the big retailers, WCS and Maggard’s, but I’m not sure why Lather Bros gets no attention here. Anyone else have soaps they love, but get little attention here?

I believe the issue these days is the ubiquitous nature of shaving soaps. Too many to mention with any frequency, even with the size of this niche membership. LaToja stick gets crickets around here, but it makes a resurgence from time to time.

I had the Calle Ocho soap/AS and PIFed it. Found out my issue was the brush not the soap. I’ll have to try it again.

Stubble buster soaps are amazing at any price, plus I like that they imitate popular fragrances from the last 30 years that aren’t creed/Guerlain/Hermes.

I think they are closed now but Reef Point soaps in my opinion did not get as much attention. They are very good soaps and the Submariner scent I have from them is excellent. It reminds me of Pre de Provence 63.

IMO the most underrated soap is glycerine soap, at least for me. Glycerin is a humectant, which means it attracts moisture and draws it deep into your skin and whiskers to keep it hydrated. I wash and then hand scrub my face before covering with hot towel for 2min. Then the standard routine with pre shave oil, lather of choice and shave.

La Savonnière du Moulin, amazing.

Good to hear! I have an unused puck I picked up from Bullgoose a few months back. Look forward to trying it one day.

I’m surprised Mikes isn’t mentioned more. Been around awhile and the marketing is basic as all get out, but a very fine soap.

Elvado has a small line of wonderfully scented shaving cream / soaps . Great scent and performance. I also like the fact that it's made here in Canada!

Tabac and Mitchell's Wool Fat were really popular just a few years ago here. We don't talk about them as much anymore sadly. Both are great.

MWF is a great soap, if you can get it to lather in your water. I have hard water. I had more difficulty lathering MWF than any other soap I have tried and I have tried a lot of soaps.

Tabac has a scent that is polarizing. Some people love it; some hate it. When I first unwrapped the puck, I nearly gagged. There was no way I was going to shave with something that smelled like that. However, after airing out the puck for a few weeks, the scent is now decent. It will never be a favorite scent, but at least is is no longer repulsive. Tabac is much easier to lather than MWF and the slickness and cushion are excellent. Tabac has little in the way of ingredients designed to moisturize and condition the skin. With most of the soaps in my den, the only aftershave product I use is witch hazel. If I shave with Tabac, I have to follow up with an aftershave balm. If you have a skin type that does not require moisturizing and if you can tolerate the scent, Tabac would be an excellent choice.

Top Bottom