What's new

good soap brush?

Hey, since I began wetshaving, I've used soft shaving creams. I have this brush, which works very well with them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UB3BF8/ref=oss_product

But I've read that that brush is made more for creams than for soaps, and recently I ordered a bowl of wool fat shaving soap. The brush is extremely soft, so I am a bit worried that it isn't up to the job of a hard soap cream. Does anyone think it will be an issue, and if so, can you recommend a better soap brush?

Also, I do have this cheap Tweezerman brush;

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-28...ef=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1297558301&sr=1-6

It's bristles are much stiffer than the Parker's, do you think it would be better or worse for the soaps?

Thanks everyone!

The tweezerman does a fair job on MWF. It should certainly do better than the big floppy parker. The secret to MWF is to load what seems like it would be LOTS of soap. You need to load the brush a bit longer than other soaps or creams. Also, you might like to lather on your face with MWF. It works better for me, but YMMV. Check out mantic59's video on lathering MWF. Lots of good tips there.

If you are looking for an excuse to pick up another brush, then MWF is a great reason to get one! I would say head over to vintagescent.com and get a semogue boar. They work wonders on da Fat. I like the 620 or 830...both run $20 to $30. The 1470 will work well, too, but it has a wooden handle and is only $14. You might be able to snatch one in the BST, as well.

Thanks. I'll give the Tweezerman a shot when the soap gets here before I buy another brush though; not that I wouldn't mind getting more of them, but I'm trying to stem the huge tide of money flowing out of my wallet :lol:

But if I end up looking for a new brush I'll definitely consider those semogues. Thanks again.

+1 on Semogue ... I have a 1305 and it does a great job.

Be prepared for a few weeks to get fully broken in.

Good advice from Fluffman. Also consider an Omega if you don't want to spend a lot of cash. They are great, cheap brushes that work well on hard soaps.

Of course, if you want to go upscale, you could talk to Rudy Vey about getting a soap brush.

OR- grab a Simpson Chubby, which is expensive, but it's a great brush and a master of all soaps. I love my Chubby 1 in Best. I once got lather out of a block of concrete with it.

Thanks for recommending Rudy Vey, those are some nice looking brushes he sells. So much for saving money :tongue_sm

By the way, is a boar or a badger better for soaps, or does it not make a difference?

Pick up an Omega for under $15 and see how you like it. At this stage you might want to hold off on a custom as you haven't found exactly what you want yet. Just my 2¢.

Thanks for recommending Rudy Vey, those are some nice looking brushes he sells. So much for saving money :tongue_sm

By the way, is a boar or a badger better for soaps, or does it not make a difference?

A $10-$30 boar, if you face lather, is going to give you the best bang for you buck when it comes to soaps. That is personally what I prefer and use. That said, there are some *VERY* dense and stiff badgers in the $100+ range that will work just as well as the boar. :thumbup:

Top Bottom