What's new

Good Shaving Stick

I did a comparison of La Toja and Arko, and for me, La Toja was the clear winner. I have some Speick on the way and will compare that to the La Toja when it arrives.

I shave with straights and keep pucks and sticks of the following for the house and on the road:

Speick (sticks grated into a puck)
Haslinger’s Aloe (their only scent I like, performance is great on all of them)
MWF
Mike’s

The harder soaps can be sliced up/grated and wetted into the stick container. If they’re hard in the container, run them under some hot sink water a bit so they load on the face a bit easier.

I’ve used others listed above but don’t like them as either being drying or have an offputting scent for me.

Another vote for the RazoRock sticks. I have all four color/scents. I also made twist-up sticks out of What the Puck Lime and Orange. High quality Italian triple milled soaps, what is not to like?

My opinion:
Arko far outperforms Derby.
La Toja outperforms Lea.

I finally got some Speick. Using a straight razor, I got a good shave. It doesn't have as good of residual slickness as La Toja. It does smell good, kind of pine/forest/clean. The scent is not very strong, too. It isn't bad, but La Toja has it beat in performance for a straight razor, at least in my initial observation. I wish the stick came with a cap like the La Toja. Instead, once the foli is removed, the soap is in the open air.

I finally got some Speick. Using a straight razor, I got a good shave. It doesn't have as good of residual slickness as La Toja. It does smell good, kind of pine/forest/clean. The scent is not very strong, too. It isn't bad, but La Toja has it beat in performance for a straight razor, at least in my initial observation. I wish the stick came with a cap like the La Toja. Instead, once the foli is removed, the soap is in the open air.
Repurpose a spent La Toja tube ?

Of the ones mentioned in your OP I’ve only tried La Toja (not sure what formula) and Speick tallow. Performance wise I rate them the same. For scent I prefer Speick But both are great

I just used La Toja today. I got a great shave. Good stuff and I really like the smell. I have some Speick, but I don't like it as much when using a straight razor. For a DE safety razor it would be great. I don't care for Arko because, though it makes a good lather, it leaves my face feeling dry and without any moisture.

One thing about La Toja is that it can be smashed into a puck along with another soap that smells stronger and have the best of both, but then, it wouldn't be a stick. What we need is a stick mold. If we had that, we could make our own sticks out of just about anything.

Top Bottom