What's new

Good shaves with a best-seller

Some time ago, I found this very nice razor at a flea market. The price was so right that I didn't even think of making a counter offer. Most of the times, these sellers have no idea how much an item actually is worth. I'm sure this was just a vintage Gillette for him, an item that nobody uses these days.

When I' trying to close a deal with these guys, they always ask me what I want it for. My usual answer is that I'm looking to make a gift to a friend that is about to open his own barbershop and he searches for old items to decorate his shop. If you tell them that you are going to use this or you're a collector, the price goes up, you will not get a good deal out of it and probably leave the place with empty hands. This is an advice to people who like to visit such places and want to know how things work with the flea market and antique shop sellers.

Back to the razor now. Before asking for a price, I examined it closely. I noticed that the overall condition of the item was very good, it just needed a good cleaning. I took the wallet out of my pocket and immediately paid the excessive amount of 5 euros he was asking! You get almost nothing with 5 euros these days, except from fast food and coffees. So, it was totally worth it.

I went home and cleaned it thoroughly. I used a hard toothbrush and a concentrated detergent for dishes. We call it Fairy in Europe. I repeated the whole procedure 4-5 times with hot water. After that, it was time for the disinfection. I believe this is a crucial part of the cleaning procedure when you get a used/vintage item. You can never be sure about the health condition of the previous user even if it's a close friend, the storage conditions, where the seller found it etc. Most of the items you see in flea markets were found in garbages or old abandoned houses. So, I always disinfect such items with the Barbicide.

I've been using it lately and thought I'd write a few words about it. I'm sure most of you know this razor. The Tech model is one of the best-sellers ever and you probably have already tried a variation of it. You can easily find one in good condition even today. This particular model is from the 1950s and it's all brass made. The overall weight is very nice, the handle has such an excellent grip that is impossible to slip out of your hands, except if your fingers are full of lather. Then, yes, it's possible to see your razor causing a damage to your sink. It provides good shaves, very smooth. There is absolutely no blade feel. This is the most exciting part about it. I really like razors that shave you without feeling the blade. I tried it with the GSB and the Feather. In both occasions, I got great shaves, but I think I prefer the first one. I'm not a huge fan of Feather in general, but I have a few to use them with milder razors. This is definitely a very mild razor but it does the job good if you find the correct cutting angle, which is pretty easy if you ask me. I'm not looking to get BBS shaves anyway. I just do two passes, a WTG and a XTG. I don't like taking risks. My skin is semi-sensitive and my neck hates the ATG.

If you are one of the few that haven't tried an old Tech, I think it's time to get your hands on one. If we are sharing the same taste, you won't be disappointed...

And here are a few photos to compliment the thread.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have several and for some reason the "Fat Handled" ones seem the nicest. Maybe it's my imagination.
They all seem to have different characteristics and although there are lots of compatible blades some work better than others.
Great purchase.

Very nice razor! I don't know what it looked like when you found it, but you did a great job cleaning it up. And thanks for the tips on keeping the price down when shopping.

I love the ball end tech I am just coming back to it after some time. The Tech provides great shaves I would also recommend Kia blades in a Tech. Thanks for a great review and advice on buying and cleaning. That is a great looking Tech!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I love me a good Tech acquisition story. Great find and a great deal !!

I use Techs exclusively and while I only have a couple of them myself (yeah I'm a minimalist), I have gifted more than half a dozen of them to my son's, my brother and my nephews. I also love the shave and feel for the same reasons you do (OP) I have found why look any further when for me...the answer is always Gillette Tech.

I found that the less you show your enthusiasm on buying a Tech, the greater deal can be had. I got this no date Tech with a rare handle, in box with original blades....for $20 CAD
20200224_123436.jpg

I love me a good Tech acquisition story. Great find and a great deal !!

I use Techs exclusively and while I only have a couple of them myself (yeah I'm a minimalist), I have gifted more than half a dozen of them to my son's, my brother and my nephews. I also love the shave and feel for the same reasons you do (OP) I have found why look any further when for me...the answer is always Gillette Tech.

I found that the less you show your enthusiasm on buying a Tech, the greater deal can be had. I got this no date Tech with a rare handle, in box with original blades....for $20 CADView attachment 1069250
Your razor looks great too. Thanks for sharing!

You are the man - great find and great score! Based on your very clear photos, the razor is in excellent condition and (as others have already said) great job on the clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom