What's new

Good reasons to pass up a great deal on a new nespresso vertuoline?

Just wondering if someone can convince me to NOT buy a nespresso. I have a friend that can get me any machine for 50% of retail and I've had the coffee and I enjoyed the one or two samples I had. I currently have a dehlongi ec155 and no grinder. I get small quantities ground from a local place. I also have a 3 week old son so the convenience of the nespresso is appealing but I don't want to waste money either! Also if anyone has experience, which nespresso is better for an espresso drinker, vertuoline or pixie? Vertuoline has versatility but only 4 espresso capsules while the pixie has several options. Any input on either question is much appreciated! (Disclaimer, I know some are VERY anti capsule machine so please hold judgement a great deal is a great deal I just don't want to regret it)

Just wondering if someone can convince me to NOT buy a nespresso.
That's your call to make. I don't care for what they produce but coffee's always about what the individual prefers in the cup. If you're good with Nespresso and convenience is a priority for you then go with it.

I currently have a dehlongi ec155 and no grinder. I get small quantities ground from a local place.
And that's why you're not enjoying espresso. Preground is stale. You always have to grind just before pulling espresso. I guess I have to amend my answer above: try espresso with a good grinder first.

Last edited:
If I had a 3 week old and did not drink a lot of coffee, I would certainly consider using a pod machine. The convenience factor would justify it. And that is considering the razor blade sales model that these pod machines follow.

I am not sure of the differences in models, but I would investigate the earlier style machine, since some of the Nespresso patents have expired allowing other manufactures to compete when making pods. The Vertuoline may make better coffee (I have no idea), but I suspect the exclusively in pods will cost you more over the next couple of years. Where the older style machine would provide more variety and lower long term costs.

Problem is, you'll not only have a crying cranky baby, you'll be cranky as well from crappy coffee.

On the other hand, if you don't know any better...... :blush:

It all comes down to time and money.

If you do not have the time to brew coffee and can afford the added expense of one cup machines that is what you should do.

I enjoy coffee made with nespresso and keurig machines. BUT... I enjoy making coffee myself so I stick with the "brew yourself" method.

If things were different I would not hesitate to own either single serve type machine

Does he get you 50% off the pods too? They run about $0.60 and are only 7 grams or so, which yields a single 1oz espresso shot. Anything more and it s becomes weak in both strength and flavor.

I considered one for the office but ultimately decided on a French press for my daytime coffee

Just wondering if someone can convince me to NOT buy a nespresso.:LMS I have a friend that can get me any machine for 50% of retail and I've had the coffee and I enjoyed the one or two samples I had. I currently have a dehlongi ec155 and no grinder. I get small quantities ground from a local place. I also have a 3 week old son so the convenience of the nespresso is appealing but I don't want to waste money either! Also if anyone has experience, which nespresso is better for an espresso drinker, vertuoline or pixie? Vertuoline has versatility but only 4 espresso capsules while the pixie has several options. Any input on either question is much appreciated! (Disclaimer, I know some are VERY anti capsule machine so please hold judgement a great deal is a great deal I just don't want to regret it)

Just wondering if someone can convince me to NOT buy a nespresso. I have a friend that can get me any machine for 50% of retail and I've had the coffee and I enjoyed the one or two samples I had. I currently have a dehlongi ec155 and no grinder. I get small quantities ground from a local place. I also have a 3 week old son so the convenience of the nespresso is appealing but I don't want to waste money either! Also if anyone has experience, which nespresso is better for an espresso drinker, vertuoline or pixie? Vertuoline has versatility but only 4 espresso capsules while the pixie has several options. Any input on either question is much appreciated! (Disclaimer, I know some are VERY anti capsule machine so please hold judgement a great deal is a great deal I just don't want to regret it)

You can use ESE pods in your 155 and it will provide you great flexibility which brands to use, as well as switch to loose ground coffee any time you feel like it.

I can get ANY pod machine for free if I sign subscription to get my pods from that dealer. 50% off doesn't seem that great of a deal. Think of razors and blades, it's a blade (pod) game. Gillette gives away their razors to teens in the mail.

Last edited:
Definitely more expensive to go with pods and less flexibility as far as brands and varieties are concerned. My wife is the coffee expert in our house and she can't stand the pod-based coffees. The strength just doesn't come out right to suit her. I'm a latte mocha drinker and the Breville Oracle has been the best machine I've ever had...and my two favorite coffees are LaVazza and Black Cat Espresso, but if you've tried the pod machines and are happy with the results, that's all that should matter to you.

Have you tried an Aeropress?

In my experience a well-made brew from one can be comparable in strength to an espresso from a pod machine, and far tastier, because it opens up the entire world of speciality coffees. It's not a lot of hassle to use, especially if you're using pre-ground beans.

Obviously (reasonably) fresh-roasted and freshly-ground coffee is best, but your OP clearly outlines the need for convenience.

Over other brew methods the Aeropress has the advantage of being quick and minimal fuss. Dose coffee, pour not-quite-boiling water, steep for whatever time and press. Far less environmental impact than pods & much cheaper, both short and long-term. This potentially frees up a lot of money for a good grinder.

No it's not 'espresso'; however the Aeropress can produce much, much better coffee than the espresso from pods or even chain cafes. It's not exaggerating to say that in combination with good beans, a cheap scale, and a half-decent grinder you can make coffee that's truly world class. A pod machine will never hit anywhere near that level.

I'm not an expert with it, but with mine (I use it at work every day) I can make really good coffee in just a few minutes each morning. You can go as far down the rabbit hole as you want in terms of learning to use one, there's tons of great info out there.

Luke

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Since OP's son, who was 3 months old at the time of the post, now is 5 years old, perhaps he could tell us what his Daddy ended up doing.

Have a Bonavita 1900 for brewing coffee in the morning, but just got a Nespresso Vertuoline and very happy with everything I have tried through it. Perfect when I want a single cup of coffee and having fun experiencing expressos for the first time.

Top Bottom