What's new

Good Quality Mild Blade

Blades are very personal. I do not like Astra SP. I think they are overrated and not very smooth. I mostly shave with vintage blades these days but if I were to go with a nice mild blade and a good price, I would pick Wilkinson Sword from India

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Blades are very personal. I do not like Astra SP. I think they are overrated and not very smooth. I mostly shave with vintage blades these days but if I were to go with a nice mild blade and a good price, I would pick Wilkinson Sword from India
I'm not a fan of Astra SP blades either, and have tried many times over the years. However, I do love the Astra SS blades, especially in my open comb razors. Just wanted to mention this if you've never tried the SS version (blue tucks) of Astra blades.

Many people with sensitive skin think that shaving one pass only will produce the least irritation, but that is not necessarily the case. If your beard is normal, I suspect you are shaving with pressure to get a close shave in one pass. That is not good. I have very sensitive skin, so much so that I have difficulty with brush burn if I face lather. I find that I get the least amount of irritation if I do a four-pass shave with minimal shave pressure. It is impossible to shave with zero pressure, but you should use only the minimal amount of pressure necessary to maintain the razor in contact with your skin.

While you do need a smooth blade, you do not necessarily need a less-sharp one. Since you are using a relatively mild Weishi razor, you might be able to use super sharp blades as long as you apply minimal pressure during your shave. The problem with less sharp blades (Derby Extra, Shark Super Chrome, Astra SP, etc. ) is that there is a tendency to add pressure to your shave stroke in order to make the razor more efficient.

Since you are still young, you might have oily skin so common among teenagers. However, if your skin is on the drier side, there are some wonderful artisan shaving soaps that are designed to protect, moisturize and condition your skin.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think the notion of irritation from shaving most often relates to a combination of the wrong sort of lather and too much pressure. I have always used a lather that is very wet, just not so wet it drips, and three gentle, low pressure passes. I like heavy razors and let their weight be the pressure, the only pressure, as much as possible. I like lots of blades but currently use and happy with Personna Lab Blues.

I'd third that and add Gillette Platinum/King C. Gillette blades. I've heard the Platinums and King C. blades are the same, just different labels and pricing. King C's are way more expensive.

Amazon has the Gillette Platinum's on sale for $9.99.

proxy.php

At this price, it is hard to beat a true quality blade like this.

I think the GSB's are a touch smoother but are also 50% more expensive. About the same goes for the U.S. made Personna Lab Blue's.

The Voskhod's are a very smooth shave and are around the $11 price point.

The King C. Gillette's are fine. But, they started out a $6 for two tucks of five blades each. They then went up to $6.50 and are now at $6.99 on Amazon.

proxy.php

This now makes them a 70-cent blade against the Platinum's for 10-cents.

The King's are not any better of a blade, they just are priced higher. Just another example of how a typical consumer gets screwed by shopping at drug stores, where they are typically sold.

For the price that you would pay for one hundred King C. Gillette DE blades, you can have a decade worth of shaves from the Gillette Platinum's. Your choice...

I am not a fan of Vokshod's. For me, they are sharp, but they just don't feel like they are honed to a smooth edge. Rough on my face. I have to "cork" them to use this blade. I use Wilkinson Sword from Germany. Sharp, smooth, and never any irritation. Perhaps slightly pricier than other blades, but are very comfortable on my face. I get on average 6-8 DFS out of this blade, and on occasion, have gotten as many 10 DFS, with some clean ups. I tend to flip the blade after 2 initial shaves when new, and the blade feels great, close and smooth! I usually just shave WTG, as I shave everyday, and for occasions, will do a 2-pass, adding an ATG pass. I have rarely come across a Wilkie that was not quite up to par, but it has happened. Got about 3 shaves in on a blade, and had to bin it! It felt rough on my face, like the edge was just not there. The rest of the tuck was great. Have had a few blades after 4-5 shaves that just did not feel sharp, and was leaving a lot of stubble. I guess this happens when you are mass producing 1,000's of blades a day! I can get a tuck for $1.20 at a local grocery chain here. YMMV...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I find milder blades feel the best to me, some blades tear me up and leave me very irritated. I was looking for recommendations for good quality, milder blades to give a try.
I've obviously never seen you shave, so I'm only guessing here. But if "tear me up" means blood that's probably more of a technique problem than a blade problem. Virtually the only way to achieve this irritation is either incorrect blade/razor angle or too much pressure, and it's often both.

There is no question that the best way to have the most comfortable shaves is to find a razor/blade combination that is a good fit for your face/beard. But my suggestion is to experiment with using less pressure. Try just enough pressure that you're not dropping the razor in the sink.

If you really want to try some mild blades there are lists of blades in descending order of sharpness (there was one here a while back, but I can't seem to find it) you might want to consider. Some pretty darn sharp blades have been suggested here so far as mild.

In your situation, I'd probably suggest giving Israeli Personna Reds a go.

You probably want to avoid using anything too mild in a razor like the Weishi, as @RayClem was saying.

Ultimately, you'll be best served by some blade samples as others have mentioned. This whole wet-shaving thing is massively subjective and that goes double for blades.

The only thing I'll add is try not to change too many things at once as that makes it quite hard to evaluate your choices on their own merits.

Good luck!

I was also impressed with the Parker blades I received with my razor. They don't have a fancy name, come in understated black and white packaging but they were enjoyable.
I enjoy Parker Platinum blades. They are my alternate blade, if German Wilkies are not available from my source. They are more audible than the Wilkies, but give me a DFS!

I think the notion of irritation from shaving most often relates to a combination of the wrong sort of lather and too much pressure. I have always used a lather that is very wet, just not so wet it drips, and three gentle, low pressure passes. I like heavy razors and let their weight be the pressure, the only pressure, as much as possible. I like lots of blades but currently use and happy with Personna Lab Blues.

Exactly what I’ve discovered in my case. I thought the source of my irritation was some reaction to soaps, but I think it’s a poor lather and pressure. Basically I was doing multiple passes without protection and slickness

Top Bottom