What's new

Good problem to have, help me decide.

What would you do?

• Auction on ebay starting at $1,000

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Keep it forever

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
I think I've decided against popular opinion I'm going to keep it, not use it, and enjoy knowing I've got one of the best examples remaining in my possession.
There are collectors out there, I can't imagine that the example that was just bought for $500 was bought on a whim to be used.
Again, the reason I don't use it is it's brand new 9.5/10 and I've got an 8/10 in my cabinet that gets frequent use...
@gwsmallwood , lots of physical memorabilia appreciates, and I'm already heavily invested in stocks, bonds and mutual funds.
It's all timing. 50s cars peaked when 60s and 70s kids hit their 30s, 40s and 50s. Now the collectors already have them and if you look at values they've been steadily dropping like a rock the last few years (I collect and flip the occasional classic car as well). This is because the next generation of car enthusiasts are spiking values of 70s and 80s cars and have no interest in a 57 Chevy, the gold standard, any longer.
The neat thing with razors is Gillette is back in manufacturing new DE razors that lol no different than those of 50 years ago. In an article I read recently, when they were asked why now, the response was marketing recognizes a resurgence in the DE market with regards to NEW SHAVERS and long time shavers switching to DE razors.
That tells me that unlike a 50s car that the next generation isn't interested in, there are current Gillette collectors born in the 50's, up to today, and counting. Simple supply and demand, how many 58 Executive Fatboys are there?
I'm willing to bet we haven't seen anything yet, and at 46yo I'm going to sit back and wait.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Just fyi, though, if you put it on the by with a really high starting bid or buy it now and it doesn't sell, you will be paying a pretty hefty fee. If you relist it, you pay the fee again.

Really? eBay gives me a large allotment of free or zero insertion fee listings per month and there is no relisting fee if it doesn't sell. That is, if you don't do subtitles or list across different categories. There will still be the final value fee when it sells.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/l... insertion fee listings&intent=insertion fees

Really? eBay gives me a large allotment of free or zero insertion fee listings per month and there is no relisting fee if it doesn't sell. That is, if you don't do subtitles or list across different categories. There will still be the final value fee when it sells.

I don't know what their policy says. All I know is that it cost me a bunch to try to sell one of my rare mechanical pencils from Italy in a gorgeous LE celluloid. Maybe it was because I added a Buy It Now option? That must be it.

Just know going in that not every trick in their book is without cost. If/when it sells, they will get their pound of flesh, but they also have other ways of taking money from your pocket.

I don't know what their policy says. All I know is that it cost me a bunch to try to sell one of my rare mechanical pencils from Italy in a gorgeous LE celluloid. Maybe it was because I added a Buy It Now option? That must be it.

Just know going in that not every trick in their book is without cost. If/when it sells, they will get their pound of flesh, but they also have other ways of taking money from your pocket.
They have a fee calculator. 10% to the house, 2.9% to PayPal. F them, I'm keeping it anyway :)

I'm with kingfisher. Use it or get rid of it.
Use it or lose it? As far as using them, I have used every one I bought at least once. Admittedly I haven't used many of them for a while but it is my harem and they all wait patiently for their turn. :) My rotation lineup is longer than my memory. Sell one? NEVER! Give one away? Sure.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I could care less about the money, but like the idea of looking at my entire collection thinking it cost me nothing :) ... if that makes sense.
Makes sense to me. If I can use something and I scored majorly on it, I tend to keep it. If I can't use it and my family needs something, I sell it. I have almost that same set. It's missing just the price tag and the blades are sealed. I have just a touch more into it, but it's definitely a keeper.

Makes sense to me. If I can use something and I scored majorly on it, I tend to keep it. If I can't use it and my family needs something, I sell it. I have almost that same set. It's missing just the price tag and the blades are sealed. I have just a touch more into it, but it's definitely a keeper.
Nice! Sealed blade pack, think it's literally never been used? I'd like to find the $5 price tag for my set one day.
Does yours have the little blade card under the silo doors that says "always use Gillette blades" or something like that?

KeenDogg

Nice! Sealed blade pack, think it's literally never been used? I'd like to find the $5 price tag for my set one day.
Does yours have the little blade card under the silo doors that says "always use Gillette blades" or something like that?
It does not.

KeenDogg

Here's mine.
20201117_205147.jpg
20201117_205047.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I could care less about the money, but like the idea of looking at my entire collection thinking it cost me nothing :) ... if that makes sense.
I do not enjoy a possession more because I paid less for it, in fact there reaches a point where I enjoy it less. We all like a bargain but I like to pay a fair price, tales of 'I paid $5 for a double ring' do not sit well with me and the buyer goes down in my estimation but that is a matter for each man and their own moral compass. I would sell the razor simply because I dislike TTO razors and adjustable razors, for me the Fatboy does not shave well and I would never use it. If you like it and will use it then keep it, it looks like a nice example 👍

I do not enjoy a possession more because I paid less for it, in fact there reaches a point where I enjoy it less. We all like a bargain but I like to pay a fair price, tales of 'I paid $5 for a double ring' do not sit well with me and the buyer goes down in my estimation but that is a matter for each man and their own moral compass. I would sell the razor simply because I dislike TTO razors and adjustable razors, for me the Fatboy does not shave well and I would never use it. If you like it and will use it then keep it, it looks like a nice example 👍
I do love my Fatboys, and they get a lot of use.
I'm not a daily full shaver. I'll carve out a beard or a goatee time to time, mainly using my 3 pieces... but when I'm ready to lose the beard I love a new Feather blade and a Fatboy opened up to 9.
I like to live dangerously lol.

KeenDogg

Mine does, I just don't know if it's actually supposed to be there...

That's a beautiful set! The warranty card is a nice touch. I think you should start it at $1k on ebay and lmk how it goes :)
Is it a D3 or 4?
Thanks very much. I don't know if the adjustable had a paper insert. That may be a Tech thing. Not an expert on that one. Lol. I believe a D3. Dont have it handy at the moment.

Mint condition items are for collecting, not using.
Why would you keep a NOS razor of such high value as a spare?
Are you expecting your current one to break or fail in the near future?
And if it does, the economic decision would be to replace it with a slightly used example in good working order, rather than break out the NOS mint-condition razor and squander its especial value by using it.
The only reason its has such a high value is because (in its present state) it is highly collectable, meaning someone will pay a high price to put it into their collection...not to use it. Once it's used, its value drops precipitously.
If it is part of a collection, then keep it.
If you're preserving it for speculation and re-sale, then keep it.
But if you're planning on using it, I should say that's a poor economic decision, and you should sell it instead.
ps. You can't shave with the case, the box, or the warranty card anyway.

Top Bottom