What's new

Good Pen for a new user?

I'm interested to see what you guys would recommend as a good value pen for a first time buyer. I have a co-worker who's dad designed for Parker so he's hardly impartial. Are these the best? I think I would be most interested in being able to use different bottled inks and prefer fine tip pens in general.

Depends on what you consider a good value. I just got my first fountain pen, a Lamy safari with a fine nib and a cartridge converter from Goulet pens. I couldn't be more happy with it

Depends on what you consider a good value. I just got my first fountain pen, a Lamy safari with a fine nib and a cartridge converter from Goulet pens. I couldn't be more happy with it

i have a Safari with Medium nib and converter on my way, glad you like yours. really looking forward to mine...YELLOW. :001_tt2:

if i like it, which i'm sure i will, i'll add some more nibs

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tell us how much (or how little) you want to spend and we'll find the best pen in your price range.

I'm looking in the less than $50 range for sure. I looked at the safari, but it is too modern looking for my taste. I do like roughly that size pen from looking at it.

i have only 2 pens, (so far). looking at them they seem industrial looking but i like them both with fine nibs. the main reason i bought them is lamy bases out of heidelberg, my home town

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm looking in the less than $50 range for sure. I looked at the safari, but it is too modern looking for my taste. I do like roughly that size pen from looking at it.

I thought so, too, but my Al-Star is growing on me. Kind of a fusion of old and new. Plus, it lets you swap out nibs for cheap to suit your tastes. I got the 1.5 mm itallic nib on mine- may order a 1.1 to see how that looks (1.5 can be a bit broad sometimes)

I usually recommend the Lamy Safari, but since you said it looks a bit modern for your tastes (which I can certainly understand) I'll suggest looking for a restored Esterbrook J-series pen. They have a lever-fill system, which means you'd be able to use bottled pen ink. They can be found for very reasonable prices on eBay and they even pop up on our own B/S/T from time to time. It's a bit smaller than the Safari but it certainly looks more "traditional." Let us know what you end up with!

strop

Now half as wise
Pens with what I would consider "classic" styling are not plentiful in the $50 range. Retro 51 has some offerings and I think there is one Shaeffer model in that range. Occasionally a Levenger pen will go on sale for that. This is one of the reasons that the Lamy pens are so popular. Although I personally don't care for the "modern" look they are a good value. When you go to the $75 -$100 range the options become more numerous.

I use a Pilot Plumix in class everyday. I find it to be inexpensive enough that if i lose it i am not heartbroken, and it writes pretty well for me. Replacement ink cartridges are pretty cheap too, something like 5$/12 off of amazon.com. But i am also new to this whole fountain pen thing, so YMMV.

Ok, just ordered my first pen. An Esterbrook J series in real nice condition. It should be here in a few days and I'll let you guys know how it goes. I love the look of it, so we'll see how it writes. Paid $16.50, not sure if this is considered a "good deal" but it seemed worth it to me.

well, my Yellow Lamy M point Safari with converter showed up today.

i inked it up (from a bottle ink) and there was no hesitation, it started flowing immediately. no scritch, nice and smooth.

i'm happy for $26 shipped (pen, 2 cartridges and 1 converter). the ink window on the barrel is nice, so you can quickly see if you have ink and what colour it is, without having to uncap it.

So got my Esterbrook filled up and writing the other day, luckily the bladder was still good. So far I have to say, I love it. I'll definitely be keeping an eye our for new pens.

strop

Now half as wise
Congrats. I know you will enjoy that Esterbrook. Be careful though. They tend to multiply!

Top Bottom