What's new

Good News for Tabac users

Dear fellow shavers. In the past months, I have not only become a devoted DE-user but lately I have also come to understand the Tallowate craze. With so much talk about reformulation in the air, I decided to contact "Maurer und Wirtz" and ask them if they are pursuing the disastrous "getting rid of tallowate drive" that has stricken so many reputable companies. The following is what I found out straight from the horses mouth:

"vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage und Ihr Interesse an unseren Produkten.

Es hat immer wieder Bestrebungen gegeben, Stoffe tierischer Herkunft wie z.B. Seifen auf Rindertalgbasis zu eliminieren. Der Einsatz alternativer Fette bei der Rasierseife ergab bis heute keine vergleichbare Qualität der fertigen Rasierseifen. Die gewünschten Eigenschaften der Seife bezüglich Schaumkonsistenz und Schäumungsvermögen konnten nicht erreicht werden.

Zur Zeit stehen keine Aktivitätem an, um die sehr gute Qualität unserer Rasierseifen Tabac Original und Sir Irisch Moos zu verändern.

Wir hoffen, dass Ihnen diese Antwort weiterhilft."

The gist of the above is that Maurer und Wirtz have tried to reformulate their shaving soaps but that they were not satisfied with the quality or the properties in that they could not reproduce the latherability and the lather consistency of the original tallowate soap. Therefore, for the time being, there are no efforts being made to change the quality of Tabac and Irisch Moos.

I found this very relieving and also very interesting because in stark contrast to other producers who have reformulated and try to convince us that the new formulations are just as good or even better than the tallowate soap, Maurer und Wirtz admit that they have tried but that they have given up in the best interest of the quality of the product and ultimately their customers.

From reading the reformulation threads on this forum and the opinions of our seasoned veterans who have had the opportunity of using both tallowate and corresponding reformulations, it is quite clear that tallowate seems to confer properties to the soap which are still unparalleled in the shave soap business.

Consequently, I am going to stay well away from reformulations especially when they are endorsed as being better than the tallowate counterpart, contact tallowate soap producers as above to check the "refomulation temperature" and reward the companies that see to their customers best interest with my hard-earned.

The good people at Maurer und Wirtz refuses to ruin their product. Best news I have heard all day!:biggrin1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
All I got to say is;

Here's the response I finally received from their customer service department:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Aqua Velva. We welcome all comments about our products.

We previously looked into converting Aqua Velva from glass to plastic but decided that we would hold off on any further development until further testing takes place with consumers. Given the current economic climate, we felt it was best to stay the course with our current glass product.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Sophia Stone

Sophia Stone
Senior Consultant, Consumer Resources

Case #345886

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81698

Just 'cuz they say it at this precise moment, doesn't mean it ain't gonna happen tomorrow.

I agree with you Phil, I do however feel that it is heartening, at least for now, that they say that they have tried and failed. Other companies have tried and failed although they will not admit it, instead they put it on the market claiming it is the new and improved version and suckers like myself buy it at an exorbitant price and end up with a long face when you start shaving with it.

As someone who has just discovered the wonderful world of Tabac I am glad to hear that I will be able to get great shaves with Tabac for at least the near future.

though worrying that they even thought of changing the formula
A good company is always considering alternatives. Were I head of M&W, I most certainly would authorise one or several employees to experiment on company time.

That said, these threads pop up every three or four months or so. Bottom line: you cannot, ever, trust a company to keep on delivering a product you like; the only defenses are making it yourself or hoarding.

A good company is always considering alternatives. Were I head of M&W, I most certainly would authorise one or several employees to experiment on company time.

That said, these threads pop up every three or four months or so. Bottom line: you cannot, ever, trust a company to keep on delivering a product you like; the only defenses are making it yourself or hoarding.

And hoard we shall!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
As much as I love Tabac, if it ever is changed, I will happily continue use of MWF or Trumper Rose (Rose has already gone veggie with no real ill effects IMO)

Last edited:
I can't imagine a world without tallowy tabac.

As someone who has just discovered the wonderful world of Tabac I am glad to hear that I will be able to get great shaves with Tabac for at least the near future.

Alas we're already in a world without tallowy Trumpers, Penhaligan's, Floris...even the cheapo Erasmic stick was better than most of the current soaps. :sad:

To me the whole thing is strange. All of these shaving companies have been making products for years with hardly a touch to their formulas and then all of a sudden over the past five years they all change and most for the worse. The fact that M&W leave it open for discussion is enough to know they'll change it whenever they want. Hoard now while you still can...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To me the whole thing is strange. All of these shaving companies have been making products for years with hardly a touch to their formulas and then all of a sudden over the past five years they all change and most for the worse. The fact that M&W leave it open for discussion is enough to know they'll change it whenever they want. Hoard now while you still can...

That was my thought - I think as soon as they are able to develop a formula that is just to the right of crap, it'll be on the market faster than you can say Tabac.

The use of loose terms in the statement leaves more than enough wiggle room.

Well, rightly so. I mean, it's bad enough we kill poor animals for food and leather, so it's much more humane to dispose of any extra byproducts that could otherwise be used. :confused1

Top Bottom