What's new

Good news bad news

So I think I'm finally getting super sharp good esges from my honing. I can only compare to the edges I've had other members prepare. I found when I shaved with their edges I got ingrown hairs. Nice smooth shaves. No burn no irritation. End of day ingrown hairs.i have stubbornly continued to shave with a scrape like angle. Coticle edge and Welsh allow this with no problem. The thuri edges I've been getting are super sharp . Smooth no irritation or burn. So the good news is I'm honing better. Bad news I gotta lower the spine when shaving. I did go about 6 months with no ingrown hairs but lately it's becoming a problem. Just reporting what's going on. Any of you find that your skin just likes certain edges?

From what I have read, ingrown hairs result from shaving too close so that went the hairs grows, especially with men with curling hair. This is one reason dermatologist suggest not shaving against the grain. Barbers who shave men have said not to shave against the grain, only WTG and XTG.

Excessive shave over the same facial area can lead to irritation.

From what I have read, a diamond edge will be different from a garnet edge. One may be less irritating because the shape of the serrations are different in size and shape.

It takes a lot of experience experimenting to determine what is individually best. Right now I think I like the coticule Thuringian progression better than a coticule. What I did to do is discipline myself to use one razor for a week while using various mediums to determine what works best on my face.

I remember same issue when I used lapping film. Last night I left out the against the grain pass. Got a good shave. I'm gonna try that for a few shaves.

I remember same issue when I used lapping film. Last night I left out the against the grain pass. Got a good shave. I'm gonna try that for a few shaves.

I believe that's a good plan. This AM is did a one pass and clean up. The edge was a Thuringian. Not complaints and a damn good looking shave (DGLS)….lol!! I'm breaking myself of touching my face endlessly during the day....utter nonsense.

Top Bottom