What's new

good morning

Resolve some nasty litigation issues at work last night, having coffee and a bowl of EMP in my little meerschaum this am, listening to a nearby owl quietly hooting, and it is a comfortable 55degrees, dog at my feet.
life is OK today

So that makes me a bit jealous, as my morning pipe was during my drive to the office in 4 degree weather. lol

It was a great pipe drive though, didn't have any relights the whole drive, so a little silver lining to the situation. :thumbup:

So that makes me a bit jealous, as my morning pipe was during my drive to the office in 4 degree weather. lol

It was a great pipe drive though, didn't have any relights the whole drive, so a little silver lining to the situation. :thumbup:

One of the benefits of living in the South! It is a gorgeous day out today. Made for smoking pipes!

One of the benefits of living in the South! It is a gorgeous day out today. Made for smoking pipes!

I have some good friends living in SC, they keep trying to convince me to relocate. lol Mornings like this, it's a lot more tempting than other times of the year for sure. If for some reason I was prevented from smoking indoors, that would greatly increase the odds of me moving. heh

It was a great pipe drive though, didn't have any relights the whole drive, so a little silver lining to the situation. [emoji106]
I feel you on this one mate, today i will smoke inside. I don't want to brave the cold outside, -20 super windie!

I was planning on smoking on my drive in to work today but I was late leaving and had to rush out. Also it was 10F and it can take my car quite a while to warm up due to a topographical layout that puts my house and work both at high elevation so my commute is more downhill at the beginning (and more uphill at the end) both ways...the engine doesn't have to do much until I'm halfway there. When it's 10F, I take a long time to warm up after the car finally produces heat.

Oddly, I got off on the wrong exit. I was singing along to a song then I was like "hey this doesn't look like my usual exit". The freeway leg of my commute is kinda short and it was only one exit early so i just took that road instead of getting back on.

I was planning on smoking on my drive in to work today but I was late leaving and had to rush out. Also it was 10F and it can take my car quite a while to warm up due to a topographical layout that puts my house and work both at high elevation so my commute is more downhill at the beginning (and more uphill at the end) both ways...the engine doesn't have to do much until I'm halfway there. When it's 10F, I take a long time to warm up after the car finally produces heat.

Oddly, I got off on the wrong exit. I was singing along to a song then I was like "hey this doesn't look like my usual exit". The freeway leg of my commute is kinda short and it was only one exit early so i just took that road instead of getting back on.

I splurge on mornings like this, and let my car idle warming up for 15-20 minutes before I leave. Otherwise I won't get any real heat on my fairly short commute time.

I splurge on mornings like this, and let my car idle warming up for 15-20 minutes before I leave. Otherwise I won't get any real heat on my fairly short commute time.

I don't want to go out in the cold to start it while I'm still groggy and not dressed. Remote start is not an option (carburetor and manual transmission). I'd consider a block heater. I've been thinking of just ghetto-rigging it, run an extension cord to a space heater in the car and plug it in when I get out of bed.

I don't want to go out in the cold to start it while I'm still groggy and not dressed. Remote start is not an option (carburetor and manual transmission). I'd consider a block heater. I've been thinking of just ghetto-rigging it, run an extension cord to a space heater in the car and plug it in when I get out of bed.

That seems like a pretty bad idea, depending on the heater, I'd call it a fire hazard. lol

I'm ok with going out there 20 minutes before I'm going to leave for work and starting it up. I don't have a remote starter either, but there's no way that at 20 minutes to drive time I'm still groggy and not dressed. I've been up for almost 2 hours at that point in the morning. lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That seems like a pretty bad idea, depending on the heater, I'd call it a fire hazard. lol

I'm ok with going out there 20 minutes before I'm going to leave for work and starting it up. I don't have a remote starter either, but there's no way that at 20 minutes to drive time I'm still groggy and not dressed. I've been up for almost 2 hours at that point in the morning. lol
"Hey y'all, watch this" just popped in my head :001_smile

What are you driving? It sounds like something that's more fun in the summer.

1980 Buick Lesabre converted to 5 speed manual. The way some people have their grandfather's pipe or razor, I have my grandfather's car. He bought it new and 11 years ago I received it with 35,000 miles. In 2010, hobbies and financial needs came together to produce my antique daily driver. I turn 80 miles of that odometer every day and I mostly love it, though occasionally it starts to bug me...there's a flaky wire powering the HVAC controls so I've driven without heat a lot this cold winter. I think I finally sorted it out sufficiently well yesterday, though a proper repair is a summer project. Also a summer project: A more modern engine.

Here's the mess that I call a description and links about my ugly beast: https://sites.google.com/site/hackensteinberg

Update: I've tried the space heater idea a few times, mostly in combination with starting the engine too. Last night I remembered to set it up so I need only reach my arm out the back door and plug in the extension cord. I did that as soon as I got out of bed this morning. Despite the outside temp being 0F the inside of my car was decently warm, and I even got to smoke while driving in 0F since the car's heat didn't need to warm up the entire interior and re-warm me after it came up to temp. Not only that but a spot on my steering wheel was warm!

Nice. I go through gas twice as fast in the winter since almost every work day I let it idle and warm up for 20-25 mins before I drive to work. I've decided my comfort is worth the extra cost, especially when it's -2 outside like this morning was.

Nice. I go through gas twice as fast in the winter since almost every work day I let it idle and warm up for 20-25 mins before I drive to work. I've decided my comfort is worth the extra cost, especially when it's -2 outside like this morning was.
Why not wear a jacket?

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Why not wear a jacket?
I'm quite sure he is. It just gets cold enough that a jacket's not enough. It doesn't keep you warm; it just slows down the process of hypothermia. There have been days where it hurt to put my hands on the steering wheel. Gloves didn't help much. At certain temperatures, unless you're wearing arctic-rated gear, a jacket and gloves don't do much more than take the sting out of the cold.

Why not wear a jacket?

I'm quite sure he is. It just gets cold enough that a jacket's not enough. It doesn't keep you warm; it just slows down the process of hypothermia. There have been days where it hurt to put my hands on the steering wheel. Gloves didn't help much. At certain temperatures, unless you're wearing arctic-rated gear, a jacket and gloves don't do much more than take the sting out of the cold.

It's partially that, as were are hitting temps that you may not have ever really experienced outdoors in the winter, but also I have to be able to open my window once I get to work or I can't get into the parking area. My commute is only 8 miles, not enough time to thaw the window free unless I warm the car up well prior to the drive. Yeah, I know, #firstworldproblems and such. :lol:

Top Bottom