What's new

Good in 2021 and looking forward to in 2022?

My ultimate shaving pleasure has been the discovery of the magical (made only in England) Gillette Flat Bottom Tech.

I saw pictures of one and thought "I must have that!" Eventually I found one (user grade) on eBay UK (I'm in the UK):
View attachment 1383543
I loved it instantly and went looking for a NOS version straight away.

To my surprise, one turned up on eBay UK a week later and I purchased it instantly:
View attachment 1383546
The shave was equally as brilliant as with the "user grade" model (which I subsequently PIFd). Unfortunately it had been stored poorly (somewhere damp) and well shaken about, so the plating (although good) wasn't so great as one would expect from a NOS item.

Always in the search of perfection (an expensive malady), I found another NOS one a month later:
View attachment 1383549
This one shaves exactly like the others, and the plating is near perfect. So the previous one got PIFd as I'm not a collector.

Being an LHF (Lightweight Handle Fanboy), its head now sits on the magical GT Handle made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp):
View attachment 1383551
Shaving nirvana! :cornut:
And of course, I'm looking forward to more of the same in 2022.

I do still shave with some other old favorites (e.g. Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, RazoRock Lupo 95, early Mk2 Fatip OC, etc) occasionally, just to remind me how great the Flat Bottom Tech is. :biggrin:

Please accept my apologies for TMI... but as we say at the BOSC, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." :letterk1:
Those flat bottom Techs look great, and from the sounds of it, shave great. I can dispose of those lesser razors for you 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
2021 was a good year for discovering good razors. I got my hand on some ATT, Timeless, and Stirling SS razors... Some of my favorite shavers. Software-wise, it mostly stayed the same with couple additions.

Looking forward in 2022, I'm planning on slowing down the purchases. I have a solid set of razors but I might acquire a couple more. I'm good on brushes. Couple software additions but more for the scents and new bases.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
what's been good for you in 2021 and what do you look forward to in 2022?
Selling my condo and buying a house stands out as the high point, but a very close second would be getting this Gillette Flat Bottom Tech PIFd to me by my good friend Cal (@Cal )
S1.1_2021-12-06.jpg

I'm looking forward to shaving next year with this great razor!
20211219_164829[1].jpg

2021 was a good year for discovering good razors. I got my hand on some ATT, Timeless, and Stirling SS razors... Some of my favorite shavers. Software-wise, it mostly stayed the same with couple additions.

Looking forward in 2022, I'm planning on slowing down the purchases. I have a solid set of razors but I might acquire a couple more. I'm good on brushes. Couple software additions but more for the scents and new bases.
Great that you explored and found some favourite shavers. Probably should acquire a few more... you know for science 😏

Selling my condo and buying a house stands out as the high point, but a very close second would be getting this Gillette Flat Bottom Tech PIFd to me by my good friend Cal (@Cal )
View attachment 1383604
I'm looking forward to shaving next year with this great razor!
View attachment 1383605
Congrats on the house! That handle on the Tech looks really nice.

2021 was my most expensive year of wetshaving as I went crazy with brushes, soaps, aftershaves and blades. In 2022 I will mainly enjoy what I currently own and have no purchases planned beyond a few moderately priced EDT/colognes.

I am very happy that I bit the bullet and finally bought a Wolfman razor in 2021. Wolfman killed my desire to buy other razors. I will still be on the lookout for those <$20 flea market and antique store vintage finds, but that is about it.

I am also glad that I finally tried Southern Witchcrafts shaving soap and AS splashes. Not only do the make excellent vegan soaps, they make excellent soaps, period. I have few different SW soaps now and they are all outstanding. Don’t let the lack of tallow dissuade you from trying SW.

I have found brush nirvana in my Simpsons, Spiffos, Elites, Zeniths, Thaters, Shavemacs and Semogue SOCs. I am a sucker for a good deal/sale, but I am currently happy with the brushes I own. That Black Friday Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian in Ruby is calling my name, but I just don’t NEED it. 😜

Blades? I have a lifetime supply of my favourites and can’t see buying many more in the foreseeable future.

I hope 2022 is a great year for all of my friends on B&B!

My shaving achievement in 2021 was finding a perfect blade for my R41, the GSB. It's my favourite razor and I've tried about 20 different blades on it. The GSB has been my ideal blade and while I still try other blades and razors, I now know what I reach out for whenever I can't be bothered to choose.

In 2022, I hope to try quality soaps after shaving almost exclusively with an Arko for over 6 months. I've started with a Noble Otter and a B&M. Also ordered a homelikeshaving Colibri OC, trying to scratch that itch for a razor which delivers as well as an R41, maybe I'll find one this year.

2021 may have been my last big purchase year. As of today, I am very content and may not need to make any purchases other than soap in 2022.

A Blackland Blackbird SB purchased just before Thanksgiving has surpassed all expectations. For me it is efficient and comfortable. I’ve used it every day since it arrived.

I tried a 130 g size of MdC and proceeded to not only finish it but to also replace it with a 200 g Brain Bowl. I’m content using it daily.

The Beagle purchase could not be passed up. I’m very happy with it and added a Rudy Vey Persian Jar with the same knot. This now makes three brushes with a Shavemac 2 band silvertip. Unfortunately, I have also added a Rudy Vey Rubberset type Manchurian from the 2019 group buy that I purchased as a gift for my then 92 year old father. I had hoped to not inherit it so soon.

I am content with what I have, but I’m also capable of succumbing to the enabling done on this forum. Time will tell.

2021 may have been my last big purchase year. As of today, I am very content and may not need to make any purchases other than soap in 2022.

A Blackland Blackbird SB purchased just before Thanksgiving has surpassed all expectations. For me it is efficient and comfortable. I’ve used it every day since it arrived.

I tried a 130 g size of MdC and proceeded to not only finish it but to also replace it with a 200 g Brain Bowl. I’m content using it daily.

The Beagle purchase could not be passed up. I’m very happy with it and added a Rudy Vey Persian Jar with the same knot. This now makes three brushes with a Shavemac 2 band silvertip. Unfortunately, I have also added a Rudy Vey Rubberset type Manchurian from the 2019 group buy that I purchased as a gift for my then 92 year old father. I had hoped to not inherit it so soon.

I am content with what I have, but I’m also capable of succumbing to the enabling done on this forum. Time will tell.
A finished tub of MdC is a very rare sighting, congrats!!

Congratulations on the grandchild! I bought a clock of Cella to prepare for year-long restraint and have really come to enjoy it. May be enough left to get through this year if I pay attention. I also tried face lathering in 2021 and have really enjoyed it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
From a shaving perspective, in 2021, my den grew and also solidified into a rotation that provides a good shave with every outing. I have razors that I prefer to use with two or more days of growth and razors that I can use every day. The combination of those two types makes the rotation very workable. I used up several products and I've narrowed down what products I'll concentrate on to get to the end of.

2022...who knows. One thing is certain...whatever I use up in the soap and cream department I won't be replacing as the unused/unopened portion of my collection is just as large as the product that's been opened and used. I have a Karve Brass OC C plate coming and I intend to add that to the rotation. At one point I really enjoyed using the Karve Brass OC B plate, but found over time that it was not quite as efficient as I wanted. Hoping the OC C will turn that corner. The OC B plate was a smooth shaver for sure.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Top Bottom