What's new

Good in 2021 and looking forward to in 2022?

Just thinking of recapping 2021 and lookingforward to in 2022. So, what's been good in 2021 for you and what do you look forward to in 2022?

What's been good about 2021? Did you find any white whales in the wild, new shave gear acquisitions that exceeded expectations, use up a soap,or did you hone aspects of your technique?

What are you looking forward to in 2022? Make any end of year orders that will arrive in 2022, on any waitlists that you expect to order from?

For me, I traded with some great B&B members in 2021 which has always been a pleasurable experience for me. I enjoy interacting with B&B'ers and getting to know members better, while acquiring new shave gear 😀. I also killed two tubs of soap, B&M Latha Oceana and B&M Reserve Cool. It was nice to actually use some items up (soaps actually last quite a few shaves).

For 2022, my goal is to not buy any new gear and just enjoy what I have. I am hoping to kill off two or three soaps, and a splash or two.

To reiterate the question, what's been good for you in 2021 and what do you look forward to in 2022?

Happy holidays B&B!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The good for me in shaving in 2021 was rationalising my SR collection down to about 25 to 30, discovering Cadman "Bengall" SR's, and getting my first Ralf Aust and Revisor SR's. I also keep developing my honing skills and SR shaving technique.

2022 should see me with my first custom SR (from A.K. Colling), completing my M7DS of Cadman "Bengall" SR's, finishing my second ARKO stick and maybe even finishing my first tallow Tabac stick. I am going to try really hard (honestly) to not buy too many more SR's during 2022.

My Rockwell 6S stands out, shaving-wise nothing new. I joined B&B to get a recommendation for an adjustable and/or stainless steel safety razor and I got several good ones, decided on the Rockwell in the end and I am pleased. I don't plan to purchase anything for shaving next year, except cream and aftershave . I do look forward to extend some sections of the wiki now that I have some time and recently recovered from a cold.

Merry Christmas to all B&B members!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The shaving high point for me in 2021 was being asked by @old_school to join him in exploring the possibility of having a group buy of the Simpsons Eagle G2 in two band or Manchurian. He asked if there was anyone else we should involve, and I had the good sense to suggest we invite @BigJ to participate. Simpsons didn't work out, so we did some research, finally settling on Shavemac, and the "Beagle" was born. I had so much fun working on this brush, but the best part was getting to know my "partners" and becoming friends in that special way that one does around here. If you want to take a trip down memory lane, here are the Beagle Sales and Marketing threads:

The good for me in shaving in 2021 was rationalising my SR collection down to about 25 to 30, discovering Cadman "Bengall" SR's, and getting my first Ralf Aust and Revisor SR's. I also keep developing my honing skills and SR shaving technique.

2022 should see me with my first custom SR (from A.K. Colling), completing my M7DS of Cadman "Bengall" SR's, finishing my second ARKO stick and maybe even finishing my first tallow Tabac stick. I am going to try really hard (honestly) to not buy too many more SR's during 2022.
Good luck with the honing and paring doen the razor collection.

My Rockwell 6S stands out, shaving-wise nothing new. I joined B&B to get a recommendation for an adjustable and/or stainless steel safety razor and I got several good ones, decided on the Rockwell in the end and I am pleased. I don't plan to purchase anything for shaving next year, except cream and aftershave . I do look forward to extend some sections of the wiki now that I have some time and recently recovered from a cold.

Merry Christmas to all B&B members!
Great to hear the 6S is a ... success for you.

The good is that we got effective COVID vaccines in 2021! I also had ‘traditional’ wet shaving to help get through another difficult year!

Looking forward to a better year for everyone in 2022!! :thumbup::thumbup:
Agreed, the ritual, relaxatiion, and sense of normalcy is a benefit of wet shaving during interesting times.

The shaving high point for me in 2021 was being asked by @old_school to join him in exploring the possibility of having a group buy of the Simpsons Eagle G2 in two band or Manchurian. He asked if there was anyone else we should involve, and I had the good sense to suggest we invite @BigJ to participate. Simpsons didn't work out, so we did some research, finally settling on Shavemac, and the "Beagle" was born. I had so much fun working on this brush, but the best part was getting to know my "partners" and becoming friends in that special way that one does around here. If you want to take a trip down memory lane, here are the Beagle Sales and Marketing threads:
Those are wonderful looking brushes, great you enjoyed the journey having them commissioned!

+1! Yes indeed! This was a real high point during 2021!! :a29::a29:

That was fun. And the brush turned out to be fantastic.

I rediscovered wet shaving in 2021 and became a member here. I've learned a lot about my new hobby, acquired a ton of gear, tried lots of things, and the dust is settling so to speak. I expect 2022 to be more focused with a better understanding of what I like and a focus on those things specifically. There's still much to learn, which is perhaps the most exciting part of all!

My big achievement in 2021 was discovering what a wonderful preshave Cornhuskers Lotion is.

Such a preshave, applied before the initial pass only, contributes to making my shaven face as smooth as a clean warm windowpane.

It also contributes to the increased effectiveness of some of my formerly too mild Schick Injector razors, types I and onward, and to extending the life of Schick injector blades that already were long lasting.

It was a good year. 2021

+1! Yes indeed! This was a real high point during 2021!! :a29::a29:
Indeed that was a blast. I think my Beagle is over worked. It only gets to rest long enough to dry out! Merry Christmas!

2021 was the start of non-cartridge wet shaving journey. My best discoveries are the Blackland Vector, Tabac, Lucky Tiger, and now the Tatara Masamune. Looking forward to what 2022 may bring.
Sounds like you are off to a great start 2021, enjoy the journey in 2022.

I rediscovered wet shaving in 2021 and became a member here. I've learned a lot about my new hobby, acquired a ton of gear, tried lots of things, and the dust is settling so to speak. I expect 2022 to be more focused with a better understanding of what I like and a focus on those things specifically. There's still much to learn, which is perhaps the most exciting part of all!
Way to jump right in! Nice to enjoy what you have if you started off with a bang.

My big achievement in 2021 was discovering what a wonderful preshave Cornhuskers Lotion is.

Such a preshave, applied before the initial pass only, contributes to making my shaven face as smooth as a clean warm windowpane.

It also contributes to the increased effectiveness of some of my formerly too mild Schick Injector razors, types I and onward, and to extending the life of Schick injector blades that already were long lasting.

It was a good year. 2021
Very nice! Sounds like a staple for 2022 and beyond.

It was, all in all, a superb year for shaving. I even started a brush rotation I like, BK4 on even days and BKB4 on odd days. Merry Christmas!
Congrats! Perhaps a soap and razor rotarion are in order for 2022.

Good in 2021: Discovered DE shaving, joined B&B.

Looking forward to in 2022: Learning to use a shaving brush, settling on a favorite blade or 2, refining my technique to significantly reduce nicks and weepers.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Sounds like you are off to a great start 2021, enjoy the journey in 2022.

Way to jump right in! Nice to enjoy what you have if you started off with a bang.

Very nice! Sounds like a staple for 2022 and beyond.

Congrats! Perhaps a soap and razor rotarion are in order for 2022.
I do rotate between Martin de Candre Agrumes and Fougere but am trying to use up the Agrumes and go all in on the Fougere. As for razors, I rotate between plates on an About the Tie Windsor, mild and regular. I use the mild much more. I use chiefly Gillette Silver Blues but occasionally, like today, use an Israeli Personna or a Crystal. I toy with getter an S1 slant, mainly because I have never experienced a slant. That is plenty of rotation for me. Cheers and happy shaving!

Good in 2021: Discovered DE shaving, joined B&B.

Looking forward to in 2022: Learning to use a shaving brush, settling on a favorite blade or 2, refining my technique to significantly reduce nicks and weepers.
Definitely get onto the brush train, it adds a nice luxurious component to the shave.

Shaved everyday so far in 2021 and learned a Metric tonne about soaps brushes and blades. The combo possibilities are endless. I think my highlight for '22 may be receiving a copper WR3.
Can't wait for you to get the copper WR3. Congrats on nearing 365/365, I have been lurking on that thread, lots of good shaves.

... what's been good for you in 2021 and what do you look forward to in 2022?
My ultimate shaving pleasure has been the discovery of the magical (made only in England) Gillette Flat Bottom Tech.

I saw pictures of one and thought "I must have that!" Eventually I found one (user grade) on eBay UK (I'm in the UK):
1940s-FBT_2021-10-07_eBay-pic.jpg

I loved it instantly and went looking for a NOS version straight away.

To my surprise, one turned up on eBay UK a week later and I purchased it instantly:
1947-FBT-1_2021-10-12.jpg

The shave was equally as brilliant as with the "user grade" model (which I subsequently PIFd). Unfortunately it had been stored poorly (somewhere damp) and well shaken about, so the plating (although good) wasn't so great as one would expect from a NOS item.

Always in the search of perfection (an expensive malady), I found another NOS one a month later:
S1.1_2021-12-06.jpg

This one shaves exactly like the others, and the plating is near perfect. So the previous one got PIFd as I'm not a collector.

Being an LHF (Lightweight Handle Fanboy), its head now sits on the magical GT Handle made by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp):
SOTD-1947-GT-Y_2021-12-07.jpg

Shaving nirvana! :cornut:
And of course, I'm looking forward to more of the same in 2022.

I do still shave with some other old favorites (e.g. Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, RazoRock Lupo 95, early Mk2 Fatip OC, etc) occasionally, just to remind me how great the Flat Bottom Tech is. :biggrin:

Please accept my apologies for TMI... but as we say at the BOSC, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." :letterk1:

To reiterate the question, what's been good for you in 2021 and what do you look forward to in 2022?

Happy holidays B&B!
My new Pearl Blaze CNC machined brass razor.

I had some niggling difficulties with it in the beginning, getting used to the weight. At 105 grams it's heavy for me.

But as I've grown used to it, I've found that a milder blade than I'm used to works better, & the weight is slowly becoming ingrained in muscle memory.

Top Bottom