What's new

Good Dirt Cheap Bourbon/Sour Mash?

I'm a bourbon guy, and I spent my younger years drinking Pappy Van Winkle's, Buffalo Trace, JD Monogram, etc. But those days of exquisitely priced spirits have come to an end. I'm a 40 year old now with a kid in daycare, a wife, a house, cars, a boat, etc. etc. My days of being able to eat Manwich for every meal and spend the rest of my $$ on bourbon is done. So I'm looking for a good, cheap whiskey. I don't care if it's in a plastic bottle, and I'm okay if it's a straight or a sour mash. Either one works fine for me. It needs to be cheaper than Jim Beam but with decent taste. I've heard that Evan Williams is good. I like Old Crow okay, and I recently purchased a bottle of Ezra Brooks. The Brooks is actually quite good for mixing sours, old fashioneds, etc. but it's kind of gnarly on its own. Can anyone recommend a good American whiskey that works for an aging penny pincher like me? Much appreciated.

Ancient Age.

Edited to add: Either of the regular bottles (80 or 90 proof versions) are good. The 10 year old is not as good, IMO.

I'm curious to read the answers here. My wife bought me a bottle of Maker's 46 from a recent business trip to Kentucky. It had a good, full, robust flavor but it was a bit strong for me. In response to that I bought more of a starter/training wheels bourbon and got some Jim Beam Black Extra Aged which was significantly cheaper. As a sipper straight on ice, the JBB couldn't even remotely compete in flavor with the Maker's 46. I truly dislike the JBB as a sipper straight but it is excellent as a mixer - Pepsi for me. I have a friend who is a bourbon drinker and the cheapest bourbon he could recommend was Bulleit which is a bit more expensive than the Jim Beam white label. Some of the sub-$30 range (750 ml) sipping bourbons he recommended were Knob Creek, Larceny, Woodford Reserve and Bulleit. If you are looking for just a mixer, then there are probably several decent choices for less than $20 for 750 ml. I'm exploring cheap-ish sippers right now. For mixers, I've never gone cheaper than Jim Beam but I'm sure there are some good options out there for a cheaper bourbon.

Last edited:
I'm curious to read the answers here. My wife bought me a bottle of Maker's 46 from a recent business trip to Kentucky. It had a good, full, robust flavor but it was a bit strong for me.

Knob Creek, Bulleit and Woodford Reserve are all fine Bourbons.

I have never been much of a Maker's fan. Not bad, just not my fave. I have just recently tried their "46" also, and was pretty impressed with it.

Here are some:
  • Benchmark No. 8
  • Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond
  • Evan Williams Black Label
  • Old Forrester
All are decent and cheap. Also, Wild Turkey (particularly their 81 proof) is good and reasonable.

How much is a 750ml bottle Of Jim Beam? $13.00? I'm having trouble coming up with something cheaper....

I've done a bottle each of Ezra Brooks and Evan Williams. While I could sip them neat or use them as mixers, I have not returned to them.

A little searching turned up this older article:
https://deadspin.com/cheap-bourbons-ranked-1468454287
I had Rebel Yell a week or two ago, and I don't agree with his assessment. Thought it pretty weak.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I don't think I have had any of these. I love Blanton's, Old Granddad, and Elijah Craig 12 year. I really haven't branched out from there. Very monogamous!!

Good luck with your search!!
Let us know

I'd echo the thought on Wild Turkey 81 ... it's an excellent bourbon, moderately priced, and mixes well, as well as goes down nicely straight or on the rocks.

Since my last post I tried some Evan Williams black label. It's surprisingly good for its price and I may like it even more than Jim Beam. Price-wise in my neck of the woods, a liter of the Jim Beam white label is $5 more than a liter of the Evan Williams black label.

Here are some:
  • Benchmark No. 8
  • Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond
  • Evan Williams Black Label
  • Old Forrester
All are decent and cheap. Also, Wild Turkey (particularly their 81 proof) is good and reasonable.
+1 to Benchmark. Used to be able to get a liter of it for $10 in college.

I've tried Benchmark, Heaven Hill, Cabin Still and a bunch of others. I actually kind of prefer the cheaper, less smooth bourbons.

Nothing wrong with a good ole bottle of Jack Daniels (I know its not technically bourbon) or Jim Beam. If you are spending up a little more I'm a fan of Woodford Reserve.

Evan Williams is one of my favorites, although it is a rare occasion that I sip bourbon. I find very little that can beat the price for decent quality.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Old forester if you like it a little sweeter.

Henry McKenna if you like a stronger oak flavor.

Old grand dad 114 for a in between balance.

Those are my picks for truly cheap bourbon.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Old forester if you like it a little sweeter.

Henry McKenna if you like a stronger oak flavor.

Old grand dad 114 for a in between balance.

Those are my picks for truly cheap bourbon.
Outstanding picks!!!

Nothing wrong with a good ole bottle of Jack Daniels (I know its not technically bourbon) or Jim Beam. If you are spending up a little more I'm a fan of Woodford Reserve.
Actually Jack Daniel's by BATF definition is bourbon. It is the distiller's choice to market it as Tennessee Whiskey. Same with George Dickel..which many of us Tennesseans prefer anyhow.
Fun fact...although for decades Early Times was a fixture in the world of bourbon, it can no longer be sold as such per those same BATF criteria.

Old Grand-Dad 114 gives you a lot of bang your money. A little hot but with a bit of water to mellow it out it is a great buy for $23.

Top Bottom