What's new

Good decaf?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I like bold, dark coffee. Is there a decaf that delivers? I need to back of my full caffeinated consumption.

Thanks

F5245B20-3F9D-4A6C-9E92-65079DCBF744.jpeg

If a local roaster makes a decaf, even if it isn't greasy dark it maybe worth a try. I prefer Africans but a recent re-examination into American decafs has been a surprise with a bean from Peru holding up really well to a full city + roast and even a Guatemalan proving entertaining.

Next place to look is online. There is too much to pick from and prices are all over the place but Peet's was a staple when I purchased roasted beans and it's quality and consistency never failed to deliver. Others will no doubt have favorites to tell you about.

Lastly I have to make a pitch for home roasting. One of our local roasters does decaf on a regular basis and the care and quality is every bit their regular beans. But the variety is lacking as it should be (I think) as we are a TINY market and in this game freshness matters. If you are inclined Sweet Maria's is everything green bean. From why and how to everything you need. Once you ride this pony it's game over.

I don't have any specific recommendation on decaf. But when you are drinking regular caffeinated be aware that different coffees have different amounts of caffeine (especially if you are buying in a coffee shop where you don't know the coffee-to-water ratio). When brewing at home you want to stay away from Robusta and just pay attention to your body to gauge how much caffeine you are consuming as you try to find a coffee blend/origin that "feels" less caffeinated...assuming you are still interested in some caffeine.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks for the info. Yes, I do still need the caffeine, just need to dial it down!

I would like to do my first cup or two as 'standard' and then switch to decaf for the third (or more) cup each morning.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Bean, or ground? Decaf beans can be hard to find. Here at Maison Slash, we have two superautomatic DeLonghi machines. We keep one filled with 8 O'Clock Columbian beans for our morning cappuccino, and the other filled with 8 O'Clock decaf beans, for evening coffee or coffee based cocktails or deserts. Espresso made from the Columbian is a fantastically smooth coffee but has a nice presence once you get tthe machine settings dialed in. Honestly there is no better value. We don't like super dark roast coffees, but prefer instead a medium or slightly darker roast. We don't like burnt tasting coffee. The decaf isn't as good as the Columbian, of course, but for decaf it is very flavorful. The roast is just a hair darker than the Columbian. Slightly less aromatic. Overall, not bad, when you just gotta have a shot but don't want caffeine keeping you awake half the night.

Be aware though, that decaf does not mean zero caffeine. It does have some caffeine, just not very much.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Bean, or ground? Decaf beans can be hard to find. Here at Maison Slash, we have two superautomatic DeLonghi machines. We keep one filled with 8 O'Clock Columbian beans for our morning cappuccino, and the other filled with 8 O'Clock decaf beans, for evening coffee or coffee based cocktails or deserts. Espresso made from the Columbian is a fantastically smooth coffee but has a nice presence once you get tthe machine settings dialed in. Honestly there is no better value. We don't like super dark roast coffees, but prefer instead a medium or slightly darker roast. We don't like burnt tasting coffee. The decaf isn't as good as the Columbian, of course, but for decaf it is very flavorful. The roast is just a hair darker than the Columbian. Slightly less aromatic. Overall, not bad, when you just gotta have a shot but don't want caffeine keeping you awake half the night.

Be aware though, that decaf does not mean zero caffeine. It does have some caffeine, just not very much.
Wasn't 8 o'clock an A&P brand back in the day? Is there any more A&P stores anymore? I've got to buy some. Was my Unkle's favorite. He made it so a spoon would stand up in it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wasn't 8 o'clock an A&P brand back in the day? Is there any more A&P stores anymore? I've got to buy some. Was my Unkle's favorite. He made it so a spoon would stand up in it.

Indeed it was. We had one of the last A&P stores left, on Royal Street, which was bought by Rousse's, a local chain, a few years after Katrina. I don't believe there are any more A&P stores left anywhere. 8 O'Clock survives as a brand. You can find it at Walmart and I believe Sams and some other grocery chains, and also on Amazon. It is probably the best grocery store coffee I have drank, and it is pretty cheap, too.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks. I grind and 8 o'clock is a decent coffee. May try their decaf beans.

May also look at the Starbucks. Their coffee always tastes burned to me. Peets is a favorite. Palomar Roasters is also very good.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Tarmucks does taste burnt. Horrible stuff.

Peets is good and has a loyal following, but 8 O'Clock Columbian to me tastes better and is cheaper. The Original is almost as good as the Columbian. The Columbian is a very smooth coffee and the Original is much more robust which would be great for pourover, drip, or perk, but not so much for espresso IMHO.

Thanks. I grind and 8 o'clock is a decent coffee. May try their decaf beans.

May also look at the Starbucks. Their coffee always tastes burned to me. Peets is a favorite. Palomar Roasters is also very good.
I agree dark roasted beans do have a tendancy to taste burnt. Definitely an acquired taste. They do also sell light and medium roasted beans. I just like the decaf dark because it doesn't taste decaf.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Found some Peet's House Blend (which I like) decaf Keurigs at the store that I plan to try this morning at work.

Slow-roasting tastes much better. There's also a brand out there I see sometimes that is slow-roasted South American style, called Puroast.

Top Bottom