What's new

Good deal? Bad deal?

I have an employee named Bob who found out that I was interested in de razors this year. He loves antique shops so every time he went in he picked up a few razors for me. These are some of the scores, not but not all. These are the bargain ones that he found. $1 each for the super slims 109, $2 for the super speed silver tip, $2 for the slim adjustable silver and $4 for the brass Gillette three piece that I need to date. So all told $10 for this haul. They all work, they all cut hairs, and they are all in fairly decent condition. I am assuming I will not be able to recreate these buys again.

Should I buy more?
20211119_070456.jpg
20211119_070535.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What should my expectations be for pricing if I buy a similar models again? What are they worth? Should I buy more?
The rules don't allow valuations so I can't help on that. Try past sales on ebay for valuations.
The New common bar handle looks nice. They are all great deals and enjoy shaving with them.
I think you should look for a 195 and an early Superspeed. Collecting can be an expensive rabbit hole but golf clubs can be expensive too!

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Guess you already purchased these razors. For the future, if it helps, once I got to ~300 razors, went down to ~20 and now have ~60 from which I use maybe 4 regularly.
Question is if buying more makes you happy and you can afford it, why not?

You got a very nice haul for a very good price. If you want them that's up to you. They all look to be in pretty good shape. I'm down to 6 razors (the final one has yet to be determined) from, at one point, 250. So your employee, who may not know your personal preferences for Des, did you a very nice gesture.

Can't tell from the pictures whether the New is a short comb or a long comb version. If it is the short comb, I'll give you $5 for it (giving you a profit of one dollar!) and pay the shipping, too!

Fantastic score, obviously. Anytime you can get an entire DE razor for less than one Gillette Fusion refill cartridge, you have done pretty well.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Give him $25 for the haul and you are still WAAAAY ahead of the game.

If he refuses, give him his $10 and buy him lunch. He did you a solid.

** if you sell them for profit, split it with him, it's only fair **
Big +1. You have an agent! I want one!!! Actually, this was a kind gesture of a coworker and friend. I'm sure he tremendously enjoys the hunt. If appropriate, please pass along my sentiment.

As for acquiring this booty at such a low price point, may I be so bold as to offer a suggestion: consider gifting razors that don't make your rotation. I'm surrounded by men who never had a father figure to give guidance on the finer aspects of manhood. Shaving is one of those aspects. I'm just humbled by the joy and discussion that follows the gifting a razor.

Back to your picture, although forum rules may prohibit offering valuations... you guys scored big time. Watch out for that brass 3-piece. I have an Otto Roth variation now nicknamed "Otto Ruthless." Otto and I do not get along.

Big +1. You have an agent! I want one!!! Actually, this was a kind gesture of a coworker and friend. I'm sure he tremendously enjoys the hunt. If appropriate, please pass along my sentiment.

As for acquiring this booty at such a low price point, may I be so bold as to offer a suggestion: consider gifting razors that don't make your rotation. I'm surrounded by men who never had a father figure to give guidance on the finer aspects of manhood. Shaving is one of those aspects. I'm just humbled by the joy and discussion that follows the gifting a razor.

Back to your picture, although forum rules may prohibit offering valuations... you guys scored big time. Watch out for that brass 3-piece. I have an Otto Roth variation now nicknamed "Otto Ruthless." Otto and I do not get along.
1 of the black handled super slim adjustables will be a PIF in the next couple of months, I don't need 2. The superspeed will be sold or gifted. As far as the first point, I know he enjoys the hunt for new treasure, he was buying about 1 week for almost 2 months until I had to tell him to stop. He also picked up a gold plated milord and a probak. I reimbursed him for every item he bought, of course.

The 2nd point, I one of my first posts was how I also didn't have a father figure for some of those finer points and vowed to help anyone that needed help in that aspect. Something that I felt slighted out of during some crucial teenage years and glad I stumbled upon this website.

I don't know if that 3 piece is a short comb or long. I will have to do some research on that, it shaved very well. @kingfisher for the time being I'm keeping it.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
1 of the black handled super slim adjustables will be a PIF in the next couple of months, I don't need 2. The superspeed will be sold or gifted. As far as the first point, I know he enjoys the hunt for new treasure, he was buying about 1 week for almost 2 months until I had to tell him to stop. He also picked up a gold plated milord and a probak. I reimbursed him for every item he bought, of course.

The 2nd point, I one of my first posts was how I also didn't have a father figure for some of those finer points and vowed to help anyone that needed help in that aspect. Something that I felt slighted out of during some crucial teenage years and glad I stumbled upon this website.

I don't know if that 3 piece is a short comb or long. I will have to do some research on that, it shaved very well. @kingfisher for the time being I'm keeping it.
@Berwick12, I'm misty-eyed reading your comments. Your desire to help others is not only cool, it is inspirational.

Also, I'm glad you've found success with that open comb. I'm pretty certain my scary OC experiences are a result of my limited shaving technique and not of razor design!

• Love
Reactions: Anu
Top Bottom