What's new

Good DE results; but HELP! Curious issues:

xxvaleria didn't say that in this thread.

My prep is working very well. Now even better; as I'm working the ingrown hairs better. With all my careful face and brush scrubbing today, my neck redness is less; not more.

I may switch to a medium super badger known to not be floppy.

I've read that the harder soaps (and croaps) do better lather and mine have been really good.

I'm game for some of the best creams, as I did not like, or count the Real Shave Company Moisturizing shave cream. It sucked. It was so bad, that perhaps I got a bad batch. I also do not count brush less creams. I don't like them, and they require excessive product.

A shave soap/cream is a finely balance formula. Otherwise we'd use hand soap. It's the right tool for the job.

I've been considering Proraso, its Red, TOBS Almond, and maybe even Irich Moos cream (stick being better). I just didn't think a cream could be better than my shave soaps. I could use one for travel; but I have my Speick stick. A cream might go well with my Silver-tip though. However, hard soaps work fine with my slight floppy and big Silver-tip none the less.

Tips: [The best I can at this point and by doing.] Feel free to improve me. :)

I might try a band around the brush to increase ingrown hair lifting. Do spend more time on your first brushing. Not damaging; but more time and not skipping any of the neck sections. Holding your brush at the loft might help lift more ingrown hairs. Just don't cause bad redness before the shave even begins. It's a fine balance; when you have bumps/ingrown neck hairs. Perhaps you thought it was acne, or just dryness/flaking. Perhaps it's actually not cutting close enough last time; but without burn or nicks. Healing may be a factor so you can get closer; but ironically skipping days might foster ingrown hairs! Use gentle and yet thorough face scrub on days you don't shaving. Use much less pressure/friction on your neck. Dealing with shaving the curves better really matters.

Cream or soap, I do like face lathering for total speed, convenience, and exfoliating at the same time. It's a nice option. Especially with a good stick like Speick. Great for traveling too.

Also: I'm extremely thankful for the advice to consider only WTG on the neck, and that may be the only way to stop ingrown hairs. My problem is hair growing in all directions does not have a WTG. Perhaps I can still discover a predominate or least bad way. We'll see. It's not obvious.

Noted formula recommendations for passes thus far:

1. WTG, ATG, limited touchups (No official XTG; but did with touch-ups. Worked while being extremely light-touched on the neck)

2. WTG(all), XTG; but ATG on neck, then ATG(all). Hmmmm.

3. WTG

New:

#1 worked. I am still trying too much for closeness; but then I'll know. Every shave, is closer, and more even. I think I'm hovering right before some burn. Yet this is still slight burn (rather ingrown healing splotches) on the neck; where I'm not wanting to leave any stubble to become ingrown. I've benefited from taking time exfoliating, with select face cleanser, and the brush. Yet seeing how close I can get on the neck is not necessary.

A correction may need to be my beloved coconut oil. Another fine post says coconut oil is comogenic. I've not noticed an acne issue from it. Could this be because I'm using the processed, clear, no smell, coconut oil? Is it just because I'm shaving everyday?

My Cella has the recommended Almond oil. Maybe I should give Cella time on my face; while washing and prepping other things before the shave. Perhaps the Almond oil (in Cella, or Lanolin in MWF etc...) can work like the coconut oil has for me.

I'll need something better to use as a balm; because nothing has been better for me than the processed cocnut oil.

I have a theory. Perhaps the cocnut oil was keeping me from getting any closer, and that's why the feather does not seem to get more stubble smooth. I should go carefully.

At Thanksgiving I went for extreme closeness and received a even burn all morning, with the Pol-Silver iridium and Cella. I didn't use the coconut oil then. Hmmmm. I was in a hurry to be somewhere. The Pol-Silver smoothly burned me after I finished. All a bad situation. The coconut oil calmed it by afternoon though. Just like a sunburn relief treatment. ...just a wee bit over the line.

Next test: Is it closer, without pre-shave oil? Perhaps less passes and touch-ups will be needed.

"By the sounds of all this, you might begin to think that the lather you normally create for shaving could possibly serve as a pretty good pre-shave prep and in thinking this, you would be absolutely correct."

Last edited:
Just a progress report:

Results still vary; but are trending better on most shaves. Too many passes, and aggressively working out every felt stubble ATG will cause splotches and bumps, and that then cause a needed rest period. ...and...

1. Prep required: Hydration and a bit of time (shower anyway) softens the cut. I've improved with less time, by hitting my neck with very warm water first. Then gently rub (Better the night before, thoroughly) a cleanser/exfoliate finer grit, containing salicylic and coconates (so a balanced formula not comogenic). That can be left as a base and technically is a pre-shave oil all in one.

Note: I plan to test the generic orange salicylic washes(no grit) more. They lack the pre-oil like cocnates. When I use both, then I get less irritation. It calms the red micro-infection reactions. Neck issue guys take note.

BTW: I use Kirks soap bar(slightly base, so mildly stingy antibacterial fights) for body; but not for neck, face or hair. It lathers quickly. Plus, a non-SLS shampoo and conditioner. An all-in-one is not optimized for body, face and hair. It must be nice if that really works for you.

2. The fastest ready time can be my wet sliver-tip, with a pump of Kiss-My-Face (trying unscented), nicely lathering, many passes, shave soap, and quick face lathering. However, I report not finding a huge (end result) difference in my top soaps. I love MWF, Speick(also quick), and my Cella. They are different. Any does better, with a few minutes time after applying, so their formula can be like a pre-oil. I do currently not apply a specific "pre-oil", due to time and results. Post is a different matter.

3. What makes the most difference is fewer strokes, painstakingly starting with pulled flat(neck in a certain manner) through, less pressure swipes(with practice) and only a good-knock down cut (remove in layers), WTG first passes direction-critical. Each stroke might be a buff and a buff; but not more in that lathered pass!

Mainly, my neck, and maybe some areas around my mouth and chin need LIGHTER pressure, LESS angle, and that non-perfection attitude. Conversely, my chin and jaw line is very able to take baby smoothing work. Any can be overdone; but I getting stelar close, and long lasting, no redness on those resilient arras. Not the neck.

With the neck, STAYING WTG, which changes below my Adams apple even if I do more touch-up passes (needed), on flatter neck sections gets almost as close (do not try to get as close) and hits the main goal of little to zero neck irritation. Do not ever go against the grain on the neck. If you must do more, make sure you re-lather the neck, and do somewhat XTG (that changes) at a maximum. However again, the neck stubble should not be the same, completely gone, and that rest of your face, if given the typical neck splotches, and bumps.

4. Do the warm rinse to get all soap off. Then the cold water boogie. POW! If any weepers then [and if I did it right then I don't], I use Witch hazel in the palm as a splash rub, and follow with a good balm. I often need more balm a few minutes later, and it the coldest winter and dry this week. A bean sized amount of "Extra light" olive oil after warm water splash and rubbed into my whole face works, very well.

Blades: Note: In one way there is a sharpness difference in blades; that you want to find. However, I can slightly vary my technique, with any blade (and my Silver-Tone cheapie razor angle; but I loves my EJ tamer), and do just as well. Some blades are not as close. The closest I need to go (before lasting irritation) is a very small difference. I'm also rinsing (no rubbing) the blade in the razor, with Isopropyl, to prevent rust; as my only thing. Blades are cheap. A new blade helps; but so does the Isopropyl, for however many shaves you will get out of a blade; before it's bad news. Usually 4 shaves max for me; but the Iridiums/Pols are supposed to go up to 7. Feather do require more discipline; but oh how they cut. That closeness is up to you, it's the less pressure needed, that's benefit. You only need to stay away from Feathers if you are ham-fisted, and can't stop using cartridge pressures; depending on your face (somewhat less). Feathers are nothing to fear! Use what you like; just know issues might not be the blade. See #3

Last edited:
So many passes still.
Either your blade angle is wrong or you need a more aggressive razor or change of blade or combination of all 3.
If you need more than 3 passes then something is wrong. Sorry - someone has to say it.
Have a look at some GeoFatboy youtube videos & try to start from scratch would be my advice. Don't overcomplicate things.

Yeah, I break stuff down hard; but that's how I learn. Thinking about a shim, instead of a parker. :)

Love Feathers; but admitting they might be slightly too sharp new out the wrapper. Seeing now, sharp is not close. I just disliked less sharp. BUT; after a while of NOT changing blade (ever), it's like they it will not die, ever. Meaning, I did what they say can't be done. ...Found that line of no stubble and no irritaion, burn, nick, cut, or any thing negative. That's 3 pass, advanced J techs, strechin', swooping' etc., (NEVER a falling down on the prep and post.) That's a little more work that it's supposed to be and I know that; but I likes theses results!

What I'm finding most important now, is popping in a new feather is a major reset, in much less **ANGLE** (hope that saves someone a nick), not just the lighter pressure, and much less aggressive "moves". I read this is supposed to be far less work; but how am I supposed to know what actual results 2 long stroke, quick passes actually get, when I try a shim and less sharp blade, without trying it? But what blade??? I'm concerned; that if I do not have a blade that is still a little too sharp the first, out the package, it will not still work for as long (months!). Yet, I don't want to pre-dull (cork?) a new blade either. So what is that? Bic? Gillette? Shark? Dorco?

EJ shim anyone? I hear you scissor off the cutting sides of an old blade, placed "under" it to enlarge the gap (or over when it upside down and you have the whole blade in). The "adjustable" DE89!

Last edited:
STUFF I'M USING NOW:

I keeping my prep the same for scientific control and this is what it's been. FYI.

That white face wash stuff above, that also buffs beard and has coconates, so like preshave in one.

Speick: Right to my face, then big silvertip brush ...and unbreakable plastic cup for shower (easy rinse).

Note the buff + brush + smoothing over time from shaving aclimation + skin type is required to hit that line of BBS with no burn.

Kiss My Face uncented Shave cream, half amount also pumped in brush before face lather (see uber lather).

Note: My beard is tough. My prep is tougher. :) Make blades last longer.

EJ89 and Feather so far. To be amended.

Very Warm complete rinses between passes and final.

COLD rinse.

Witchhazel splash within 2 minutes (out the shower).

A good Lotion/balm.

Isopropal rinse on Razor and blade adding to sanitation and mainly blade longevity(air dries so no rust).

BTW: No more Kirk's soap for body. Good ole' Irish Spring and currently w/aloe.

It's summer and I'm also not bothering with cocnout or olive oil as a lotion/balm addition now, until perhaps dry winter weather.

Last edited:
What a post! I think you are using too many passes to get the job done. Feather? Never really liked it much. Try a Voshkod with lighter pressure but work on angle.

Thank you. Voshkod in consideration.

For the record I'm basically doing 3 passes, and have been for a while now. Sometimes the ATG pass is technically optional, if a really fine shave (almost BBS) is enough. (DFS). But I do tend to buff shave (pull, pull, pull and move along to next area) I just work the chin somewhat extra (flatten seams) to touch up stubble and the shims may be helping. ...Will advise on shim #2. I am also using a cream/Speick stick with my 50/50 uber-lather. But may try TOBS.

You know what would take some real blade experience? Another blade that's just like a used Feather.

Q. Who knows that?

I'm now understanding, a new Feather requires me to back off the angle(and pressure), to avoid any burn, and that angle with my DE89's (closeness or aggression) range is less close and leaves stubble. Therefore, unless I dull out my Feather (just a little now), then I get to choose burn or stubble (usually both). I'm admitting maybe a Feather is to sharp (can nick when new) in this EJ89, for me. [I think I got to accustomed to an old blade, or third pas lather got weak with the new blade, or something.]

I put a shim in with a Derby (to start) and it was way to dull and still needed to be much closer, leaving much longer stubble.

I was trying to be sane; but SWITCHED to the Shim and that newly opened Feather and it actually worked well!

I was real careful. I suppose that less pressure was needed to get closer and that eased-up on the need for an angle that would scrape. It made the new Feather feel (successful) like the worn-out (still working I think it was just getting harder) one was, with similar, approaching perfect, and balanced (close and irritation free) results.

I did that. Not a cut, nick, weeper, or burn. I did leave it micro-slightly less BBS gone; but if you knew the level I was talking about, you would laugh. I had achieved the unachievable on that last blade, by not replacing that Feather blade. I suppose I was pushing with that old blade, as it was going away in very minuscule amounts. Good prep, angle, and alcohol rinse made it last. Perhaps that's why a new blade caused a tiny nick. Now I know to reset into paranoia mode, on new blades. That's (mostly) a joke, if you're new to this. It's not difficult. Only the best kind of paranoia. :) -----> Squirrel!

I'll try 2 shims total, next time. I think it's working. Maybe a Feather isn't to sharp for me (after all) and I guess I just eased into to much pressure (and really fast shaving with daily perfection) with the old Samari (Feather). I may have even stropped the new one a bit, when cleaning it off, concerned about factory blemishes. Not good.

Beware the new Feather boogie. :) Bonsai! Good to know.

Q: Why the heck did the Derby with the shim still not cut closer than it did with out (it seemed). I thought it was some razor limit? The Derby is less (of course) sharp and also does not cut close. Why does the Feather cut closer, with it's sharpness???? I thought they were not the same thing and that was the gap of the razor.

Q: Why do I need a more aggressive razor(closer or a shim) if closer can be the blade and not really the razor?

2 shims (cut used Dorcos) installed, increasing the DE89 gap for the new Feather blade. Now, If I only had some real stubble left.... Grow babies grow! ;) Give me a minute. See THAT'S why you should wet shave. It's highly customized for ease and results. It's no longer a chore. It's fun! We've just about kicked it's tale now. Aye!?

I'm guessing the (now shimmed) greater/closer/aggressive gap let's me glide to the careful and practiced point, where my hair closer meets the skin (balance) *and* does that (now) requiring less pressure and angle (and passes). Therefore I'm still enjoying the less resistance of the sharpest blade (with the less clogging razor and especially with grown-out hair), and it is less likely to burn (my particular) skin, due to less pressure and especially no harsh angle; that I probably (extremely incrementally) adopted with the very slowly dulling Feather blade.

Lesson: If you play around with blade longevity (They're so expensive. NOT! LOL) then beware the SLOW (like months) development of bad habits, as it dulls.

I've been shaving all my life.

I acclimated (good technique) to my new DE shaver in abut a week or two, just like any new handle in the past.

Over the months my technique (and DE) achieved results everyone says is impossible! I'm always improving and still stoked that I can make my sandpaper face look (and feel to my wife) like a boy again. My only regret is not doing DE shaving years ago! I wonder how many guys try DE shaving and give up, not knowing how to setup, give it 2 weeks (learn razor, skin smoothing), and tweak it(razor and/or blade). So sad!

It's nice to know a DE89 will get you there and that part is set, like forever at about $25. Then if it's not close enough you can shim. That's cool, you have to admit. It's the adjustable, non-adjustable. So with those, a brush ($12), some Kiss My Face, which is extremely inexpensive (REAL recommended starter) shave cream then all you need to alter are your blades, and their sharpness. The razors come with starter blades, like Derby; which are good for starting, as your face acclimates to closer shaves. By two weeks you can be in a sharper blade; but not to sharp so your skin will not get burned and your done. Within a month of working on your prep and technique and while working toward keeping it exactly the same, you can achieve baby smooth shaves with zero burns or bumps.

Shave to the point of (no)burn, not all stubble gone; because if burn comes first, then you don't want the zero stubble yet! Just adjust next time. Sometime very light burn only shows up after you are done, so leave a margin in the beginning. Don't fail to take two healing days off, for any nicks/bumps (gentle/throughly buff the dead skin everyday shave or not, and to lift those in-grown hairs) that you yourself cause. Do not get discouraged about it, in the beginning. It's worth it. There is a reason for every shaving problem. No matter what YOUR tolerance for these things, there is a solution them all. You just have to find it. Don't believe otherwise. Plus, this is just shaving and it's easy! If fear is a factor or a reasoning in your decision about "SAFTEY" razors, LOL then you're just reading to much. Also, you are most likely not the shave "type" you think you are (by the studies). So forget about that. Just do it. Never do any part of it MORE/HARDER, at first. Do it all less and then progress to more and slowly, with no pressure. Like a GENTLEman. You CAN have speed LATER; if you want to target and balance that out. ...Your choice. It's strength under control guys. This too requires patience. The true strength.

Last edited:
Godly wisdom in shaving?

Final thoughts and errors above.

OK I'm 50 now and not even concerned about my glory so be warned, LOL. Something personal is we have been though multiple categories of suffering over these last years, especially. I'm sure you've had yours. If I told you but one category there would surely be long lists of "sorry dude" posts here, by well meaning folks of fine character. I'm talking about really bad and also combined stuff; that makes you know it just can't be happenstance. There is no such thing as happenstance. Besides the fact that these are ALL for the better, over time, regardless of what we think in our very limited manner, at different times or our feelings and especially our choices at any given time. That's not my point. A man of very good character told me, just one single thing. He lost His wife and may die soon himself. At the moment; He has more to bare, than me. I will not insult you with the evil point; that there's always worse. I assume you have heard that common lesson before. My point is yes, there's typically worse; but how does that make your specific suffering any less significant. It doesn't. Suffering is real evil, not God, and there's nothing good about it. We need to understand the absolute pureness of evil vs. the absolute pureness of good and that is partly beyond our thinking. That's the whole "ball game" brothers. Part of that static evil, ironically, is great the pretense or counterfeit of good. Likewise evils (many incongruent) subtle, cowardly, hiding, manner of secretly inferring that there's some sliver of evil in God's huge greatness and the things God does like Justice and wrath, including His entire plan over all the ages. There ARE many things we can yet understand about that. All character is fixed, no manner how limited our vision; but us. Yet only for this time.

Enough of that heavy stuff. What does that have to do with shaving? Well as it turns out, I have the old Grey beard from "hell", and lower neck hairiness; that does require cutting and grows is varying crazy directions. So far I've stopped the bumps (success) by leaving very minor stubble there(and daily gentle buffing). Plus, I trim (fine hairs) on the back of my neck with a trimmer(careful not to cause skin redness; from what I learned by DE shaving), to avoid those bumps that then look visually great, because those are not the beard area stubble from hell. The point is, while I may have been mistaken about my skin being "sensitive" (no ingredient problem so far; but still testing and using the best products) and I'm doing well with a Feather, now that I've learned my razor was way to mild, MY SKIN (on the other hand) is not the most leathery. Kinda the worst situation.

1. What that means is I may be one of the "toughest" cases; when it comes to shaving. Steel wool in one area, difficult neck in another and then also not the most resilient skin with it. Prep is a must! This is the first reason I had so much trouble. Therefore, "Mistakes and all", are included above. Now, some folks are probably more difficult; but as we've discussed, so what? It was still a valid pain, on the very high side of difficulty. Apparently I can't edit the thread, so let show all my stubbornness, mistakes and comedy of errors in my difficult case. Let it go to show some poor soul after me. You will make it. It's just a week of fun experimenting and constant (correct) improvement.

2. Please remember: I did spend time reading about how to do it. The problem there, is it's not all the same instruction. One has to go and actually do it. Then varying to ones unique hair/skin. A lot of that drives you in a wrong direction and you don't know if it's a matter of preference (those varying directions, or varying types) or if you're just failing to change correctly; because you already, "know how to shave" (for years; but DE is a NEW minor subset and that alone is confusing), and we (the sad populous) are not used to things that take a week to learn. Failure can be a good thing; to a point. Failure is a fast teacher. Dare to be perfect or never attain excellence. Walk before run, etc... Some think that means speed without errors, can never happen. It's a typical fear of change and negativity. Guys do not like to change their shaving habits. Habits are hard to change. That's the current reality that holds back the masses. They can't be bothered.

I hope my comedy of errors holds some value for you. If not some humor. Mine is a tough combo. I hope exposing my early mistakes, figurings, stubbornness, and personal beard difficulties will help you with yours and translate across more types.

Note: Shim for tough beards? Just getting an "aggressive" razor gets off more stubble; but can't be reversed, can it? What about speed shaving for work just sometimes. Meaning, you just might sometimes decide you want less close; because you want to shave and not think to much about any careful technique (for still far less cash)? What if you don't want the bigger size, complexity or cost of an adjustable DE razor? What if you want only one DE razor; because isn't technique nearly everything? Isn't a simple shim better for learning? Shimming changes fewer things (Controlled tests), while learning. Wouldn't denser bearded folks stay with DE shaving more and better use the correct, no-irritation pressures with shims? How many got the wrong idea and are "sure" about their DE tests, not working for them with a popular razor? I tested the ($2) REMEI from its very mild to wild with 3 shims! (2 is plenty). Just to see it worked and that's with no irritation; but not quite as well as the DE89 shimmed. Which being thicker is supreme. 3 is extreme! That's... use the right prep, pressure and angle or regret it.... mode. Training wheels up! Got it? ...Worked for me. 2 shims does fine. The target (on my VERY difficult beard) and by no irritation from no friction is the 3rd-pass is not strictly required and therefore that's good for either quick baby smooth shaves, by a well prepped (not slow), easy ATG, or fine enough as is (we're already done), for work... speed shaves (2 minutes after shower, including skin care). FYI.

DE wet shaving is a wonderful new gift. It's amazingly become a comfort. Thank you for your help with it.

Last edited:
I think its pressure and way too many passes. Learning direction of beard growth below the jaw line is a challenge. I use DTG and a J-Stroke there and it works great.

Boy! If it's not a brand new blade and 3 shims it's just not close under the jaw! Still some left to; but hardly. The jaw is tough though (no irritation), so that's good.

If only my neck was easy. I've seen the pictures where neck skin can poke up in shark tooth like skin peaks as high as the stubble.

Tried doing more (careful passes) on the (mid and low) neck as the minor amount of stubble just contrasts the near zero point stubble otherwise now; but some redness returned in daily shaves. Went back to easy WTG only, with one pass there and it's clearing.

I'm working really hard now, to not double (or more) chop ANY line now in a pass (like I normally do), so it's long contouring strokes, letting the first pass get what it gets and staying on the white cushion ONLY (basically always do that). The First pass looks FINE; but does not feel fine. Ear to chin goes smoothly to help. Again, if somethings missed (not much to miss at that point), my third passes are hardly needed (but I can feel 'em) and they're extremely light and I use very non-aggressive cutting angle. Just as little blade to skin time as possible, so less scraped as possible.

Today's shave was closer and even more comfortable. I used 2 shims. Except some minor under jaw misses stubble and I'm playing with a Pol-Silver and Marco's method with Cella.

I don't know if it's in my head; but it feels like it could eat my face off with a pol-silver, faster than a Feather. Yet we're good.

Which is sharper Astra (which Astra?) or Med prep?

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe 2 would not be over kill for me; but no. Even though it requires attention, 3 shims is working best for me in my DE89 and across a few different blade brands. I ordered new Feathers.

No razor bumps: Anything below a finger width at the crease under my jawline and my Adams apple now gets only one, smooth, yet good contact, with the grain pass; that uses a very light angle to leave extremely slight (no bumps) stubble. Taking very careful note there, back to WTG on neck; because it quickly starts turning outward, from down and then to sideways, each going out both ways from the center, around toward back of my neck. Stopping DE at the side of neck.

Above there is durable and the density from hell, that requires 3 shims and still helped at touch up!

On back of my neck, using an electric trimmer, not foil, leaves an invisible above skin clean look on the fine hair; being very careful to hold the (not extremely close shave) trimmer flat, going slow ATG (not close comparative with the foil, that I only use on ears), and not scratch-up any redness. Otherwise if it was to close (DE or lesser foil is fast; but NO!) you can get ingrown acne-like bumps there too.

Last edited:
Update: I've moved on (EJ's BREAK!) to a Weshi like TTO for it's milder gap and bar. This is the opposite of shimming and requires buffing within passes(for me). But I can hear it better and it does the finishing/2nd and optional 3rd pass with less errors. It's a great daily stubble shaver and good learner unless you expect the maximum (to much??) closeness. Once I found the closest for me (shimming no buffing), I was able to back off SLIGHTLY (Mild razor buffing) for speed and comfort (no errors).

Technically, one can loosen it (the gap more aggressive) a bit; while still being tight enough; but that's dangerous waters because it varies gap sizes as its not locked to one gap. I might do that with a weeks growth, only on the first pass. The right way to do that is a different razor (Maybe a Lord head for the 1st pass), however. Then back to the mild.

Last edited:
I am defining smoothness with lotion afterward and no felt stubble accept for rubbing very hard against the grain on my toughest and most durable under chin area. Also my LOWER neck I go extremely mild by less angle and pressure by the farthest and purposelessly leave some felt stubble; but not noticeable by eye. That mild stubble is lower neck only. It is difficult not to go farther and cause razor bumps when compared to the smoothness of the rest of my face. All with no errors. It is better to use a rounder and closer (way less than razor blade) trimmer instead on any razor bump areas (low neck and behind neck). Even foil gives me razor bumps there; but not the trimmer.

I'm defining no errors as following your warm rinse, then COLD rinse and the Witch Hazel not stinging hardly at all. Let Witch Hazel or other after-shave be the judge. Bad stinging means you did it wrong. It's your technique. I buff 8 strokes by lighter angle and pressure now; per area and pass. I let the strokes do the work. I'm somewhat more aggressive only at my sandpaper-like jawline.

My TTO clone can go slight enough and hard enough via buffing. Both are guarded past that point and from where I never need be. I use a Feather or Gillette Yellow blade. My sensitive (neck) areas could go good and slightly; but up to full error without a good enough technique. This reigns me in and prevents my errors; when I'm "digging" at my tough and durable areas. So it's nearly perfect :) I control it from mild to wild depending on the area and this works extremely well. That's the point of a DE shave. It's best in every face area and I decide. This requires getting accustomed and using a tiny bit of self-control; but it's so guarded... it's hardly more difficult than crappy(friction bad) cartridges. It's not even difficult. Just slightly different.

Last edited:
Try wetting your face first ,then applying a thin coat of Noxema ceram, then some el cheap-o (dollar store) hair conditioner, then shaving cream and take a shower.
When you get out wet your face, put on hair conditioner,shave cream and shave.
You can also add a few drops of oil and /or aloe to your lather and whip it in then shave. This works for me.

I got the RazoRock "mission" head from IB to replace the broken EJ head. So the EJ handle. I'm getting really close shaves, along with my now very practiced technique. I grade the mission head as a mid-aggressive gap. This works well for me if I work it; until I try a little more aggressive gap next.

I'm also trying their Amici soap and a Pillsoft "Bruce" brush. My fav blade is Gillette yellows. I'm getting both sharp and with some smoothness shaves.

Hey! It's been 3 years!

Merry Christmas!

I'd like to thank each and everyone of you who commented. I considered and tried all your suggestions.

I'm getting a 100% baby smooth shave and that was rubbing hard ATG to test it. No errors.

I think this whole thing for me was needing an aggressive holder and almost the sharpest blade (not knowing) and that also requires perfect prep and PRACTICE. But which can come first? So I had to work it out. I STILL need a bit more aggressive gap I think. It depends on the razor I guess; but I think I can stop at Gillette yellow sharpness. Maybe as I go even more aggressive gap, I may need to dial back to the next notch down from the yellows. Or not.

What head is a step up from the RazoRock Mission? I like three piece.

I guess I should have started with an adjustable; but which? Maybe all Grey beards should.

I could shim my RR "mission". LOL. While shimming can work it gets dangerous and a tried aggressive design is likely better.

Last edited:
Edwin Jagger is an AWESOME company and gave me two new model premium Razors due to the old heads/thread breaking (2) I had bought. FIRST CLASS company and product; now that it's supported. Plus, the broken piece had stuck down in the old handle. That includes two new shorter EJ handles; I requested and love. The EJ heads are great too(now one has 'EJ' emblems in it); but I am enjoying the IB mission head on non slip shorter EJ handle. Great weight. Great shaves. Form and function! Custom fit. Still doing Gillette Yellows. Still yet to try a more aggressive razor head than the RR Mission.

Also, shaving at the sink (only change) is noticeably worse than end of shower for me. That's how much it matters and gets me in the Gillette Yellow blade with mission head; closest zone. I'm also just doing the Nivea men's lotion only right after. For it's scent and thicker, lasting hydration effects. Also, Amice (IB) soap is surprisingly great.

Last edited:
Edwin Jagger is an AWESOME company and gave me two new model premium Razors due to the old heads/thread breaking (2) I had bought. FIRST CLASS company and product; now that it's supported. Plus, the broken piece had stuck down in the old handle. That includes two new shorter EJ handles; I requested and love. The EJ heads are great too(now one has 'EJ' emblems in it); but I am enjoying the IB mission head on non slip shorter EJ handle. Great weight. Great shaves. Form and function! Custom fit. Still doing Gillette Yellows. Still yet to try a more aggressive razor head than the RR Mission.

Also, shaving at the sink (only change) is noticeably worse than end of shower for me. That's how much it matters and gets me in the Gillette Yellow blade with mission head; closest zone. I'm also just doing the Nivea men's lotion only right after. For it's scent and thicker, lasting hydration effects. Also, Amice (IB) soap is surprisingly great.

I meant the Mentor not Mission from RazoRock. Maggard has a version of the Mentor by another name.

Last edited:
Now at the end of a shower I load Amici croap on a Big Bruce synth brush and grabbing around those bristle really work under all face stubble.

Though I've now tried the German 37 slant head (far to mild for me) and made it work better with two blade shims; now I'm playing with a MingShi 2000S adjustable. I spring shimmed it for rock solid stability(my other posts on these here at B&B) and so the 0.5 setting now starts at where 2.5 would be as measured from bottoming out. I use Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellow Box) and they work well for me.

Point is I dial it to 6 ! So that's about equivalent to what could be deemed a 9.5 or nearly out the top of it trench. This is crazy aggressive and I am not kidding. Using good technique with angle control; I get the best shaves this way. What's more is I still need 3 passes! I'm not trying to be funny. Even the ATG pass on high. However; I do absolutely have to turn it down for my LOWER neck. I've been turning it all the way down mild (2.5 eqiv) there. That way I can shave pretty flat and it still leaves enough to stop all razor bumps there. Looks clean; but it can be felt. Everywhere else is glass; with my jawline the hardest to smooth. J-stroking too.

Thing is: My skin is not all that tough or anything. If anything it's sensitive. Feathers are fine; but can be slightly bite-y on the very first shave.

That's that my beard from hell shave and ABSOLUTELY zero errors or any kind of pain feelings. Now, I would not dare skip cold (very cold) water rinse (after warm) and then a good balm. Currently Nivea Sensitive (no alcohol). Though I have used alcohol based stuff to feel any errors and it felt very mild. I might only get just a weeper once every 10 shaves or so. Usually when trying something new.

So it's been a blog and a record; but what I'm doing now might speak to what was going on then.

Anybody else shave similarly?

P.S. The first pass alone is far, far better than the best cartridge shaving I used to do. This set up works as well on inches of beard or daily shaves. But I can skip a day it's so close. (As long as thoroughly washed and balm is used every day.) If were late for something I could do the one pass very quickly. I don't go slow. I'm not into slow shaving. I don't usually speed shave though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom