What's new

Good DE results; but HELP! Curious issues:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks for all the responses so far and those next.

I was wondering if I still need to try other blades. Thanks for the link; it's the best set I have seen. Given I've heard no one say anything is sharper than a feather, then isn't to many passes indication of needing a sharper blade?

I am doing 3 buffing passes starting only with the grain and ending against; but then doing a bunch (to much?) of touch-up, and stopping before it is perfect; so as not to irritate. Leaving that under jaw scruff (only) and some mild neck redness. I think this is due to multi directions on my neck hairs. It *SEEMS* like a starting directing on my neck doesn't matter; due to wild directions (below the apple). It's frustrating; because the very lower neck is not thick beard at all; but I can't skip it else it gets irritated from hair tickling. However, the middle neck where reddness/bumps occur (less now but not right) is getting toward my thick jaw stubble density. I suppose the only thing I can do is go EXTREAMLY low push over those (neck) areas about four times/directions until it's cut. Low pressure beats less passes right?

I don't think another razor will make a Feather sharper somehow will it? I know there's gap and bar differences. Only thing I can guess is a open comb MIGHT be closer and yet with less friction. ...and as I said if a certain razor requires me to go to a less sharp blade, then that's not good(I think).

I have watched those vids.

I know face topology, prep, beard thickness and more all make us different.

I tried going back to the Derby and while is was fine for the first use I very intently prefer the Feather. It's funny. I was almost scared of the Feather, LOL. I'm CHEAP, and I'm aware the Feather is slightly more costly. I wouldn't pick it if a less expensive blade worked better. Yet I don't care much about the difference between 8 cents and 25 cents.

As a preliminary judgment I can get at least 3 of these shaves from a Feather. I do think it's slightly sharper when new, but maybe it's perception.

I'm going with the not wiping, changing, oiling, or flipping the blades at this point. I just rinse and pat dry. I may just replace with new at 25 cents each. I'm debating a 200 pack of Feathers. The thing holding me back is the thought I may like another razor like a super speed, and it may be better with a different blade.

Then again it may be to early to introduce another razor at this point for me. Is my EJ that good(poll); from how I have describe my experience/beard/match?

I do think my technique is now really very good, but there's always room to improve.
Have you tried Personna Lab Blues? They are much cheaper than Feathers and I think they shave just a well. I usually toss the blade after three shaves or so. Anyway, I hate to give advice about how someone shaves but is it possible you are applying a bit too much pressure. I use a New LC or a DE89 most of the time and have no problem getting a very good shave in two passes with touch up. I use Williams soap. Nothing fancy in my kit. I'm 68 years old and my whiskers have gotten tougher but not denser. It doesn't make sense that your having to do so many passes. Just do a couple of passes for a while and let your face recover maybe. BBS isn't necessarily a good goal.

Have you tried Personna Lab Blues? They are much cheaper than Feathers and I think they shave just a well. I usually toss the blade after three shaves or so. Anyway, I hate to give advice about how someone shaves but is it possible you are applying a bit too much pressure. I use a New LC or a DE89 most of the time and have no problem getting a very good shave in two passes with touch up. I use Williams soap. Nothing fancy in my kit. I'm 68 years old and my whiskers have gotten tougher but not denser. It doesn't make sense that your having to do so many passes. Just do a couple of passes for a while and let your face recover maybe. BBS isn't necessarily a good goal.
Thank you so much.

I'm confused about Personna blades. Which blues ones and how to not get clones. I read folks ordered a box type and received another older box. The printing on the blades looked doubled and while some said they're genuine then how do you know? Where did you get yours? I do want to try them. That said; I don't think the blades is the problem because now I'm not getting any errors or irritations.

I've tried less pressure and more (to a point) and I'm not having a problem with blade pressure. It seems it has to be just enough.

I do swipe a little faster when stubble is felt and it's not cutting close enough.

Yeah, I passed the good enough DFS a long time ago. But I do like BBS. So far the MingShi 2000S tricked out and on high in the only thing that got me there. And again I'm not having errors, nicks or anything.

I did a test with a RazoRock 'Mentor' head with TWO shims and it was not close enough. Close to BBS; but not quite like the MingShi. I really did not want to like an adjustable (with smooth-ish handle) better; but I do. I also do not like it's bigger top under my nose; but it's manageable.

Actually, I think I might buy some Feathers for it.

Yep, I have Grey stubble. It's a *****. Dense on chin. Most down; but all directions and prone to razor bumps on the lower neck. The lower neck can not be shaved BBS and I don't. I only go WTG there. My Sharp Edge (Gillette Yellow box) in a tech clone (REIMEI) works good for that. Or like I said the MingSHi on low.

I'm not kidding though. While a do get 99% BBS with the MingShi 2000S I still have to stop myself. I'm also not saying the first extremely aggressive pass isn't a top notch DFS. Far better than carts. That I can do really fast.

So at this point it's not that I'm going to far into errors. I'm actually trying to feel zero stubble anywhere accept my lower neck. At least until lunch, right. LOL. I can skip days. Often do; but do some daily also. Day two is better than some cartridge shaves I've had! But you still gotta wash it right. If I don't use lotion it gets crusty. I hate those skin flakes between stubble. That's the beginning of face problems AKA acne and un-smooth future shaving. I face scrub (a non scratchy one) before a shave brush worked hard.

So my issue is needing the gap from hell; I guess. Nothing is close enough. What's closer than a MingShi 2000, almost out of it's rails; on high? My face has smoothed over time; where it would not take this at first. Shaving this close requires face acclimation and constant technique improvements.

I've surmised The Beast (Muhle R41) is NOT closer.

I was also thinking middle of the road closeness (per person) might be the way go(it's still safer); but now I'm liking the thing maxed out. I'm pretty sure I got the technique down; but always trying to improve daily.

I do not want to try a straight.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thank you so much.

I'm confused about Personna blades. Which blues ones and how to not get clones. I read folks ordered a box type and received another older box. The printing on the blades looked doubled and while some said they're genuine then how do you know? Where did you get yours? I do want to try them. That said; I don't think the blades is the problem because now I'm not getting any errors or irritations.

I've tried less pressure and more (to a point) and I'm not having a problem with blade pressure. It seems it has to be just enough.

I do swipe a little faster when stubble is felt and it's not cutting close enough.

Yeah, I passed the good enough DFS a long time ago. But I do like BBS. So far the MingShi 2000S tricked out and on high in the only thing that got me there. And again I'm not having errors, nicks or anything.

I did a test with a RazoRock 'Mentor' head with TWO shims and it was not close enough. Close to BBS; but not quite like the MingShi. I really did not want to like an adjustable (with smooth-ish handle) better; but I do. I also do not like it's bigger top under my nose; but it's manageable.

Actually, I think I might buy some Feathers for it.

Yep, I have Grey stubble. It's a *****. Dense on chin. Most down; but all directions and prone to razor bumps on the lower neck. The lower neck can not be shaved BBS and I don't. I only go WTG there. My Sharp Edge (Gillette Yellow box) in a tech clone (REIMEI) works good for that. Or like I said the MingSHi on low.

I'm not kidding though. While a do get 99% BBS with the MingShi 2000S I still have to stop myself. I'm also not saying the first extremely aggressive pass isn't a top notch DFS. Far better than carts. That I can do really fast.

So at this point it's not that I'm going to far into errors. I'm actually trying to feel zero stubble anywhere accept my lower neck. At least until lunch, right. LOL. I can skip days. Often do; but do some daily also. Day two is better than some cartridge shaves I've had! But you still gotta wash it right. If I don't use lotion it gets crusty. I hate those skin flakes between stubble. That's the beginning of face problems AKA acne and un-smooth future shaving. I face scrub (a non scratchy one) before a shave brush worked hard.

So my issue is needing the gap from hell; I guess. Nothing is close enough. What's closer than a MingShi 2000, almost out of it's rails; on high? My face has smoothed over time; where it would not take this at first. Shaving this close requires face acclimation and constant technique improvements.

I've surmised The Beast (Muhle R41) is NOT closer.

I was also thinking middle of the road closeness (per person) might be the way go(it's still safer); but now I'm liking the thing maxed out. I'm pretty sure I got the technique down; but always trying to improve daily.

I do not want to try a straight.
I got the Personna Lab Blue blades from Amazon. The printing on the blades is a bit funky but that is usual and not a sign of fakes. I think they were about twelve bucks. They are in the new box which is light blue but same as in their previous darker blue box. They are made in the USA in VA I believe. I just found them to be comfortable and they don't irritate my face. For twelve bucks, they certainly worth a try and for the price you can justify changing blades every three or four shaves. The individual blades are in plain white paper wrappers with no wax sticking them to the paper. As to shaving with no pressure, there has to be some pressure or you would drop your razor in the sink but you just don't push the blade against your face with force. You probably know that already anyway. The only thing I can suggest is to cut down on the number of passes for a while and keep shaving. It does fall into place if you don't think about it too much - just do it. Once in a while, I get into my shave a bit too much and start re-shaving areas where I feel a tiny bit of roughness and that is when I give myself razor burn. Keep it simple and it will come together. Most of us vintage people got little or no instruction in shaving and figured it out. Of course our whiskers didn't put up much of a fight at that age either.

Welcome aboard!

Some great suggestions above!

I would add that there are many moving parts here. To me the biggest is that your your technique is evolving, so your conclusions may well change with more experience. I suggest that you read through the Wiki which has a TON of useful advice and watch a few videos!

Keep at this and you will get the results you want!

Top Bottom