What's new

Good crock-pot recipes?

My mom, knowing I typically don't like having to cook dinner after a day at the office, got me a crock pot so I could slow-cook stuff while I'm at work. She also gave me a recipe that I'd evidently liked back in the day, but I'm a bit stuck for stuff to do with a crock pot (since I never really thought about slow cookers before). I'd been thinking of a rabbit stew, if the good butcher in town has a rabbit...

Any good recipes for slow cookers?

Here is a good simple one.

1 Beef roast
1-2 jats of pepperchinis

Put the roast in the crockpot and cover with the pepperchinis. Cook on low for 8 hours. Take the roast out and shred the meat with a fork and put back in the crockpot for another 20-30mins.

This is really good for sandwiches and makes a lot.

I picked up a crock pot cookbook from our local Sam's club, and it really surprised me what one can do with a crock pot. I didn't see anything with rabbit in it though.

The cookbook that I got is called "Best Loved Slow-Cooker recipes" published by Publications International, Ltd. It's got everything from appetizers to main dishes, and soups to breads and cakes.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Do a 'Google' search because the Net is full of recipes including ones for Rabbit or Wild Hare (as a Chef myself...German Hasenpfeffer or Braised Rabbit immediately comes to my mind),. :thumbup:

Christopher :chef:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Chili con carne is quite nice in there.

A spaghetti sauce could be awesome also...

The good thing about those is that you dump everything in and it will be awesome! I did an experience a few year back where I did a stew with pork and a few veggies. I added my ingredients in the crock pot and in the pot on the stove top at the exact same time. I let both of them on (I was home all day). I added the same quantity of spices, everything. For some reason, the crock pot was 10x better...

A quick and easy recipe is put a roast in it by itself on low all day. When you get home, shred it with forks or chop it up, then toss with barbecue sauce until it has a thin coat and put it in the oven on 300 for about 20 minutes. This is a quick recipe for a sort of pulled pork sandwich meat.

I use this recipe for chili, but use ground turkey and turkey sausage to make it healthier. If it is just you you're cooking for, I would suggest cutting it in half because I have a large crock pot and it is FULL when it's all in there. Also, I have made it without beer and I can't tell a difference.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boilermaker-Tailgate-Chili/Detail.aspx

Here is a good simple one.

1 Beef roast
1-2 jats of pepperchinis

Put the roast in the crockpot and cover with the pepperchinis. Cook on low for 8 hours. Take the roast out and shred the meat with a fork and put back in the crockpot for another 20-30mins.

This is really good for sandwiches and makes a lot.

And instead of pepperchinis, use salsa, and then serve on tortillas. Mexican style!

Pork is also good. We did a tenderloin last weekend.. little spice rub on the meat for an hour or so, then put it in the slow cooker with 2 cups of water. Cooked 8 hours, and had pulled pork sammiches. Mixed with your favorite BBQ sauce if you'd like.

Slow cooker lasagna is pretty good too.

Get a four to five pound Boston Butt. A pork shoulder will also do. Wipe it with Worchestershire sauce and then pack brown sugar all over the meat. Place it in the crock, add a cup of apple juice and cook for about twelve hours on low.

When done, allow to cool until you can comfortably handle it with our hands. Tear into it with our hands to shred it. Serve.

Any type of stew, soup chili can be done in a crock pot. Meat, broth, seasoning and veg (whichever of whatever you want) is great for soup. I love coming home after being out in the cold to have the house smell of food and be able to right away grab a bowl.

Any type of stew, soup chili can be done in a crock pot. Meat, broth, seasoning and veg (whichever of whatever you want) is great for soup. I love coming home after being out in the cold to have the house smell of food and be able to right away grab a bowl.

Great advice. A roast with potatoes, string beans, carrots, and a few onions with water and seasoning salt on low all day makes a great meal for a few days.

Also, I like to put beans in the crock pot with some ham on low all day and it's great. I soak them overnight, per the package instructions. I would do this on the weekend first to know how much water to put in for how long you expect to be gone. If you let them dry out and cook, your house will smell horrible for days, trust me on this one.

I recommend Not Your Mother's Slow-Cooker Cookbook.

A wide variety of recipes, along with good tips on tweaking your own recipes for a crock pot.

I'd stayed away from using a crock pot for years because so many of the recipes were of the "add dry mustard/cream of mushroom soup and cook all day" recipes.

That cookbook changed my opinion and I now use it pretty regularly. There's a little more work involved for some of the recipes, but the payoff is worth it.

I agree with the poster who said to use Google. CrockPots are ubiquitous; there are recipies for them all over the place. You'll get the idea, and then you'll figure out how to make your own stuff.

SWMBO and I love the crock pot. We buy the little cookbooks you find at the grocery mart check out. The "Taste of Home" brand ones are very good.
I think they have a website you can get the recipes from.

A 2 to 3 lb pork loin cut into three equal pieces.
1 carrot chopped into 1/4" thick rounds.
1 celery chopped 1/4" thick.
1 onion chopped.
2 to 3 medium potatoes roughly chopped.
30 to 36 ounce jar of sauerkraut.

Put all of the potatoes in first. season the pork loin with freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste (not too much salt, the sauerkraut adds a lot of salt already). Nestle the pork into the potatoes. put the carrots, celery and onion in next. then pour in the jar of sauerkraut last. Turn the crockpot on to low. allow about 8 to 10 hours before serving. Enjoy:thumbup:

-Jake

Here is the pork recipe I like for the slow cooker.

Kalua Pig in a Slow Cooker

Ingredients

* 1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
* 1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
* 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

Directions

1. Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
2. Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
3. Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kalua-Pig-in-a-Slow-Cooker/Detail.aspx

Top Bottom