What's new

Good, Cheap Earphones

I need a pair of earphones (ear buds) for my mp3 player. The set that came with it isn't secure. I'm only listening to audiobooks on the player, so sound quality isn't really an issue, I only need a pair that is very secure and very comfortable.

I would do something like the Skullcandy Smokin Buds. I have a pair and I absolutely love them. Sound quality is excellent and they come with three different earpice diameters to fit you properly.

I have sensitive ears and the regular ones hurt a lot. I have been buying these for a couple years now and they are extremely comfortable, cheap and the sound quality is pretty good.

I used them on my 4 hour train rides a few times a week and they held up pretty good for about 4 or 5 months after which I started abusing them by putting them in my jeans pocket and ripping them out and after a while the stuff that goes in the ears came off and I didn't like the blue and pink replacements they send you. So I usually order about 4 or 5 because my friends keep "borrowing" the new ones or I give them out as gifts.

I have an order in for a couple of them, let me know and I can mail it to you when I get them.

Not sure what type of headphones you currently have, but I bought a set of these, http://www.acoustibuds.com/ , and they have been working really well for me.

They make my original headphones stay in my ear much better, and they do sound better as well. Plus, when I wear them when I'm active, they don't come out at all.

It does take a few times putting them in to make sure they are secure, but you get 2 sizes when you order them.

Of course, they don't seem to work for everyone, if you read the reviews on Amazon.com, but they do work for me.

Just another option.

well personaly for cheap head PHONES ide go with coss porta pros the sound quality is exelent super comfortable (i sometimes forget im waring them) and theyre very cheap for actual head phone i think there around $30

I have Sennheiser CX 400 from Amazon for under $35.00. Also used primarily for Podcasts. I travel quite a bit and have found them to be pretty good on reducing background noise when traveling by air etc.

Sennheiser MX-500W

Cheap & sound great, like an upgraded version of the iPod stock earbuds, without any of the awful 2.5khz dissonance. White/chrome.

Skull candy in the world of sound = King of shaves in shaving, Usless and overpriced,
i would say, for cheap, Creative EP30, Sennhaiser CX300, Ultimate ears Metro.fi 200´s or Super.fi 3´s, Shure SE115 or SE102/SCL2/E2c (all 3 are the same earphone),

BTW, iphone earphones are the most vile and evil sound reproduction devices ever, if you like music and buy an ipod (i know, contradiciting ideas), first thing you should do is toss out the ibuds and get something decent,

Last edited:
You can order a pair at Costco online for $19.95 inc. shipping. (while our operators are standing by and only in the next 30 minutes!) They have three sets of soft rubber earpieces of different sizes. They stay in pretty good. For what you are using them for they would work great.

Koss KSC-75 "sport clip" 'phones are amazing - $20, clip on the ear (they are not earbuds), they are light, accurate... just all-around great 'phones. There are also a few easy mods that improve their already fine sound.

I recommend 'em highly.

see http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^sc^KSC75

I believe these use the same drivers as the Koss PortaPro that another B&B-er recommended.

I like these too. They have a great sound and the clips are quite secure. I wear them at the gym and they stay in even when I'm moving around a lot. Good price too.

I tried ear buds but preferred light over the ear headphones. Check out the Sennheiser PX 100's http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247093626&sr=8-1 at $36. I love my pair. (934 reviews at 4.5 stars+)

+1 on hating earbuds ... they just don't work for me. However, the Acoustibuds mentioned earlier might be just the right upgrade to make them comfortable and fit right, and provide a higher degree of isolation.

I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser PX-200 ... $43.98 from Amazon, they should be here early next week.

Although the 100 is slightly higher rated by users and has technically better sound, I wanted the closed design for acoustic isolation. That's why I put on my phones in the first place, to shut out what's going on around me.

I have Sennheiser CX 400 from Amazon for under $35.00. Also used primarily for Podcasts. I travel quite a bit and have found them to be pretty good on reducing background noise when traveling by air etc.

+1 on the CX-400

-OR-

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247100324&sr=8-1

CX-300 are $25.68 with free shipping on Amazon.

Both of these models fit nicely in the ear canal, block ambient noise pretty well, and are very comfy. They'll more than suffice for audio books and if you decide to listen to some tunes they'll get the job done pretty well.

Top Bottom