What's new

Good bye for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have mysteriously appeared on a stone ball that rotates around a burning gas ball, in the middle of nowhere. And sooner than we know it, we will all be dead. In three generations nobody will even remember that we ever existed, which is about less than 0.03% of the time humans have existed. Worthwhile reminder sometimes.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I woke up this morning only to find an orangutan sitting on my living room sofa. It wasn't much of a mystery though, clearly it got there through the front door and the hallway ;-)

OR:

43896341-2853-45C0-9A2F-8F3BC483562F.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This place is very similar to my workplace. There are so many GREAT people and several flat out jerks that just like to start crap with people for no other reason other than to just be an instigator and right about everything all the time.

There’s an ignore feature, use it.
This is one HUGE reason I'm glad I'm not werkin' anymore.

Come to think of it...... there are probably a LOT of introverts I werked with that are glad I'm gone!

Hmmm. I have mixed feelings on this thread. When I started as a newbie 14 months ago with a cheap rubbish razor from eBay I really didn’t know where to start. Everyone who has interacted with me has been extremely helpful. Yes I’ve had the odd criticism and a ‘polite word in my ear’ from one of the administrators but that has never distracted me from continuing my membership on here.

It took me a good 14 months to build up this level of respect since I was a newbie. I found getting to know the other members, asking for advice and posting content about my shaves enabled me to be a good member. But it is like any other club or forum. You start to make friends with those you seem to get along well with and you tend to interact with them more than those who have just started out. Yes I do have a lot of fans who enjoy my posts and shaving reviews. I would LOVE to be on this forum more and get to know more people but I do have work to go to, plus I like to spend time with my wife and my family when I am not on here. I do try to answer any questions that newbies may post. I would never discredit any newbie at all.

Well I hope this post has been of some help. Please feel free to message me if you have any other concerns.

Anyway glad you are sticking around and enjoy your SR shaves! As mentioned elsewhere my wife will never let me own a SR razor! Happy shaves!

Jason

Last edited:
The Greeks utilize a gesture called a moutsa they use to tell someone off, which is accompanied by a forceful NAH, which basically means eat this, if the ignore feature is not sufficient

1666457463177.gif

No. No hostility, no malice. Just if I can gently say-- completely ignoring and disbelieving what I said.
At the same time there were plenty of positive comments on the thread. Thanks.

"Hi I'm a newbie and I'm getting the best shaves of my life with razors I honed myself!"
"No you are not -- you're doing it completely wrong, that razor can't shave-- your razors are not hone-able, you dont even know how to flatten a stone."

This is all my fault.

a wise chap I met here early on had a subtle way of saying there will always be more learning.

the gentle encouragement of "just wait it gets better."

camo

I am not one for social media and public discussions. I have seen too many people go down a rabbit hole that became all-consuming and occupies a lot of valuable time that they could have spent in real life with real people that matter. The images of perfect lives and perfect people are just fake, real life does not look like that.

I have commented and contributed to discussions on this forum more that anything in the past.

I think people like me that have limited exposure to the online culture are shocked by the type of comments that is common to such places. If you are rude to someone in real life, there may be consequences a keyboard warrior doesn't have to worry about.

I have been on this forum for about 4 years, and yes sometimes I have inadvertently stepped on some toes and got a few negative comments aimed my way, but overall it has been a positive experience and I have learned a lot.

The Straight Razor community is small, we should look after and encourage each other. Something else that plays a role is the fact that we have members from all over the world from different cultures. My first language is not English, but I understand it very well. I am always conscious that what I would consider friendly banter, may offend someone.

We have mysteriously appeared on a stone ball that rotates around a burning gas ball, in the middle of nowhere. And sooner than we know it, we will all be dead. In three generations nobody will even remember that we ever existed, which is about less than 0.03% of the time humans have existed. Worthwhile reminder sometimes.
We are so insignificant. Our universe is just a spec of dust under a giants toenail.

This place is very similar to my workplace. There are so many GREAT people and several flat out jerks that just like to start crap with people for no other reason other than to just be an instigator and right about everything all the time.

There’s an ignore feature, use it.
I've only been a member since February, and have been very appreciative of the gentlemanly demeanor of nearly all of the members. There being only one exception that I have found. In some of this individual's posts he will refer to some previous post by asking a seemingly innocuous question such as, "why do you do.....? Then proceed to state why he thinks his whatever is best. I could be wrong, but to me that is just a very subtle put down.
I've been shaving for a long time, and am fairly satisfied with my shaving method, however I have learned a lot from many members that have far more experience when it comes to various razors, soaps, aftershaves, etc., and have shared their preferences, in a truly helpful manner.
As I have stated in a previous post, I think this is a great forum, and I feel privileged to be part of it! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom