What's new

Good bye for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can have a honing forum without the enthusiastic type of contributors. You can have a show and tell but a true honing forum in my opinion benefits from the guys that are willing to go and repeat time after time the same stuff for the new guys. Getting out of their way to point things out and teach. Trying to push the envelope. We all benefit from it. Personally I wouldn't have any idea about heel correction if I hadn't read Marty's posts on the other forum years ago.

I also don't think it's that bad that when somebody who has been honing razors for decades sees a mistake and points it out.
I would try to learn from them and their experience.

So instead of jumping into blocking posters or leaving the forum, maybe keeping an open mind and trying to learn is the better approach. At least that's what I do.

Communication is hard; written communication even harder. I am tremendously encouraged by this thread; it is a model of civilized conflict resolution demonstrating mutual respect, reflection, and encouragement.

BTW I am quite jealous of you @smorgana -- I am one of those who acquired a few razor shaped objects and tried to learn to hone, and it does not come naturally to me at all. Sharpening is on the back burner for me for now.

I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that's how it felt at the time. Though re-reading the thread it was not harsh at all. I don't know what more to say so I'll say no more.
I can totally relate to what you mean and where your coming from. I do have a thick skin, but as of right now I just lurk here and post where I see fit. I do understand that everyone has an opinion but there is a HUGE disconnect when it comes to the board and the internet especially when it comes to how words come across. Like in everyday life the old sayings are "its not what you say, but how you say it" also "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" and from what you and I have experienced the board does fall victim of those sayings from time to time. I am not on here that often because of others attitudes or because what anybody tells me.....to be honest, I do what I do for my own self enjoyment and don't care what anybody else thinks especially when it comes to restoring or honing a razor. Granted I appreciate EVERYONES help and interest in things that I have and pictures that I'm willing to show here. I know my limitations when it comes to restoring and honing a razor, and I'm not letting anybody get me down. The good members here hate to see other good member go away, its not why this was all started, I know I hate to see other good members go away.

Larry

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think that it is also good to remember that some of these enthusiastic posts are intended to help, and took a lot of someone’s time and effort to compose in an attempt to help someone else. This effort to help shouldn’t be overlooked.

I also don't think it's that bad that when somebody who has been honing razors for decades sees a mistake and points it out.
I would try to learn from them and their experience.

So instead of jumping into blocking posters or leaving the forum, maybe keeping an open mind and trying to learn is the better approach. At least that's what I do.

I'll add that if the advice given drives away a new member because of the way it was presented, what good does that advice do really?

The OP posted. How many others felt the same and just left the site without posting?

Many of the experts here, are HERE because they have been driven away from OTHER sites for what THEY believe. You would think it would be them that are the most welcoming to others.

No matter what level of expertise someone has at something, driving off new members is unacceptable.

I'd rather lose an "expert" than the numerous new members the expert drives away.

Be careful what you wish for. Have you been to the other “Razor Forum” lately?

The last Honing post was 3 months ago to an 11-year-old post, and the one prior was almost 5 months ago to an 11-month-old post.

Recent Post are on Fencing, Sausage Making, Wordless Pictures, Birthdays, Real Estate and Fragrance of the day, on a Straight Razor Forum!

No one asks razor questions, because no one responds, they don’t even post participation numbers anymore.

So, the OP was hurt that he was told that his honing could use some work, but then he asked for help.

I was about to offer to hone one of his razors for him, so he could have a frame of reference, even had the offer typed, when he tapped out.

It’s a razor forum and there are no trophies for showing up. It’s not for everybody, honing is not easy, but it’s also not rocket science ether.

I learned long ago, no matter what you say on this and other forums, somebody will take it the wrong way, just like folks will take your post.

We can agree to disagree.

OP.

“I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that's how it felt at the time.”

“Though re-reading the thread it was not harsh at all. I don't know what more to say so I'll say no more.”

I'm a Shaving Prodigy

The last Honing post was 3 months ago to an 11-year-old post, and the one prior was almost 5 months ago to an 11-month-old post.

Recent Post are on Fencing, Sausage Making, Wordless Pictures, Birthdays, Real Estate and Fragrance of the day, on a Straight Razor Forum!

No one asks razor questions, because no one responds, they don’t even post participation numbers anymore.
So, the OP was hurt that he was told that his honing could use some work, but then he asked for help.
Not exactly. Hurt that no one seemed to understand me, Unsolicited critiques was given. All on me, I went into defense mode. You showed me my "edge" showed me a great edge and asked to see photos... it went on from there and I cut it off before it blew up. I came here and said goodby and yes, sorry I vented a bit. I sense, and forgive me if I'm wrong, that you have definite ideas about how things are done right, I am loose, the opposite of rigid.

Let's just call a do-over and be friends.
I was about to offer to hone one of his razors for him, so he could have a frame of reference, even had the offer typed, when he tapped out.
Thank you for almost offering
It’s a razor forum and there are no trophies for showing up. It’s not for everybody, honing is not easy, but it’s also not rocket science ether.

I learned long ago, no matter what you say on this and other forums, somebody will take it the wrong way, just like folks will take your post.

We can agree to disagree.

OP.

“I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that's how it felt at the time.”

“Though re-reading the thread it was not harsh at all. I don't know what more to say so I'll say no more.”

I'm a Shaving Prodigy

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Gee, I wonder why nobody posts there, and why no one wants to participate.
Could it be that they didn't reign in their caustic resident experts and those experts managed to kill the forum for them by driving off anyone who dares to think differently?

B&B has a long standing tradition of being very kind, understanding and welcoming to new members.
It's time the honing and straight razor area recognized that and got on board.
Blaming the member for being resentful for the way that you and others responded is exactly what we're talking about.

If you respond in a way that makes new members feel unwelcome, then no post at all is better than one that does.
There's no trophy for being a honemeister here. Making suggestions on honing isn't for everyone, if those suggestions are ignored because they are presented in a curt manner.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
ok. I've read this thread and thought a lot. I'm sorry I put the focus on me, I hope some good comes from it.
I'm returning and I'll avoid things like this in the future.
I'm glad you're going to stick around.
There's a lot of good here, not just in the posting interaction between members but in the small acts of kindness between members, and the large acts of kindness such as we are seeing in the Sue Moore Breast Cancer auction.
I do hope good comes of this exchange, in terms of new folks taking advice with a grain of salt from so called experts and old timers here remembering that at one point they were just starting out too.

What I've learned from the responses on this thread is there is an ignore feature.
Yes, there certainly is an ignore feature and it works. Used it myself for a while. Or you can just remember who the snarky ones are and pass over them on your own.
IMO, if you look at enough reply's, comments etc...often enough, you'll find that there are many, many more folks here that you'll want to interact with than not.
Nice that you've decided to stick around!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Happy to hear that the OP is sticking around.
Amen!

There is someone on Badger and Blade that just gets my goat a lot of the time. He's always right, and always gets the last werd. And no, I'm not talking about myself! But I WILL continue to return his attitude with kindness, even if it kills me, lol.

And the other day I let another blow hard hurt my feelings on here. As the OP referenced here upstream, it is/was ALL my fault, as I set myself up for it. WE ARE ALWAYS RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW WE RESPOND TO EVERYTHING! Remember: inciting to riot is NEVER an excuse to riot.

And here's a thought: how much y'all wanna bet I'm the MOST ignored person on Badger and Blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom