What's new

Good Bye - Electrical Tape

Sounds like YMMV and tape thickness can sometimes be an aid to achieving a proper angle. I'll be finding out soon enough... the hard way!

Ajax, I've often wondered about some of the thinner tapes as well, but the problem is that a lot of thin tapes that would be resistant to abrasion have adhesives that would be a lot more difficult to remove than electrical tape.
But, now, why do you have to find out "the hard way"? There are easy enough ways to measure your blade angle if you have a digital caliper (I got a great one at harbor freight for $25 that I love, but they have another one for $8 that I owned in the past that would work just as well), and a good quality electric tape should give you the thickness of the tape on the package. Only takes a minute to measure things up and see if taping would be helpful or harmful before you even touch it to the stones

Have a look here if you don't want to do the math part yourself: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...on-a-bevel-angle-calculator-looking-for-input

Last edited:
Daryl, I'll be learning the hard way because it's going to my first time honing and I'll probably wind up dulling my razor. LOL! I bought a not too expensive Fromm from Wid to practice on. Once I get good at honing the Fromm, I'll try my skills on my Dovo Bismarck.
I just took a quick look at your link and I'll have to give it my full attention later this evening. It looks like it's going to be a BIG help. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
LOL oh, I thought you meant because you'd just be guessing and hoping you guessed right
hope it helps, pm me if you run into any problems with that tool

Just over a year ago I purchased two new Dovo razors. As they gold trim I decided to use electrical tape rather than prematurely wearing it off. I guess that I am coming to the end of my third year of honing. I've decided now that my skills are up to doing away with the tape except for cases where it may be needed . . . such as a smiling razor.

The conversion didn't take much. 20 strokes on a 1K followed by my normal pyramid on a Norton 4K / 8K combo followed by some polishing on a Japanese stone that is also supposed to by 8K by which I find finer than the Norton. Some stropping on some Chromium Oxide film. The razor is now popping the hairs on my arm and after some extra stropping I had a great shave.

Would I use tape again? Yes. I feel that the tape actually did protect the spine from extra hone ware while I was developing my skills. Also I openly admit that I am still developing my skills and that my blades are all quite flat and not really what anybody would call a challenge (except for the smiley).

Mike

How are your skills better that you are using less strokes on a 1k?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What I can't believe is that there is a thread on using tape while honing that is on its third page without a post from Slash.

Why? I have already stated my case factually, logically, and eloquently. Those who use tape simply didn't listen and won't listen now. I want EVERYONE to use tape. That way, I will be the only one who knows how to do it right.

Even wedges? Even for the finish? Wow that's hardcore, Doc. My hat is off.
Yep. Call me a convert. I used to tape them all.

Check out the bevel on this one.
proxy.php

That took some DMT time.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yep. Call me a convert. I used to tape them all.

Check out the bevel on this one.
proxy.php

That took some DMT time.
cool Doc. I honed up a near wedge a few weeks ago, also with no tape. The bevel is just like that.
now I know why the old timers jumped all over the hollows when they started to be made.

I'm so cornfused :confused1

So I just took a look at all my razors and regardless if they have a wash or not they all have a bare bevel guide - so what's with the tape method? I can understand wanting to protect the spine proper from errors but proper technique while honing shouldn't wear the wash nor fancy file work other than very minutely? Re: the above razor it looks like it was made wrong to begin with or the owner wanted a very specific angle.

If worried about gold loss just buy a krugerrand and fondle it whenever you want!

Why? I have already stated my case factually, logically, and eloquently. Those who use tape simply didn't listen and won't listen now. I want EVERYONE to use tape. That way, I will be the only one who knows how to do it right.

Well I have only been honing for a few months but have not used tape. Partially that is due to your arguements which as a fact based person myself I cannot refute.

I'm so cornfused :confused1

So I just took a look at all my razors and regardless if they have a wash or not they all have a bare bevel guide - so what's with the tape method? I can understand wanting to protect the spine proper from errors but proper technique while honing shouldn't wear the wash nor fancy file work other than very minutely? Re: the above razor it looks like it was made wrong to begin with or the owner wanted a very specific angle.

If worried about gold loss just buy a krugerrand and fondle it whenever you want!

Notice how the spine has a smile? The fattest shiny part was the widest point of the spine when new. By looking at the spine I would say this razor should have a nice smile to the bevel which poor honing has long since removed.

Yup. Lots of rock-rubbing on that wedge. Have you figured out the bevel angle on it?
Will do that tomorrow.
Notice how the spine has a smile? The fattest shiny part was the widest point of the spine when new. By looking at the spine I would say this razor should have a nice smile to the bevel which poor honing has long since removed.
I actually got it it was pretty flat, maybe even the slightest frown. When I placed it on a straight edge there was a hint of light shining through.

Top Bottom