What's new

Good butane pipe lighter

In July, 2019, I ordered an Old Boy knock off lighter from Aliexpress.com, thinking that for $13.80 + free s/h I couldn't lose much if it was a bust. I'm still using it today. I bought 2 more for the same price but the shipping was $5.70 (remember the trade war with China?). It turns out they are pretty decent lighters. My wife, a couple of years later, bought me a genuine I.M. Corona Old Boy. I must admit, not surprisingly, the genuine article is a better lighter; tighter fit and finish, better machining, smoother operation. But the price difference, $120 VS 13.80, doesn't match up to the lighter quality. I use both the knock-offs and the genuine Old Boy and I expect the Old Boy to outlast the cheap versions, but the knock-offs are going strong at three years.
Here is a link if you're so inclined, it's a bit different than my version but it's the same concept. Note that the knock-offs use IM Corona flints.

In July, 2019, I ordered an Old Boy knock off lighter from Aliexpress.com, thinking that for $13.80 + free s/h I couldn't lose much if it was a bust. I'm still using it today. I bought 2 more for the same price but the shipping was $5.70 (remember the trade war with China?). It turns out they are pretty decent lighters. My wife, a couple of years later, bought me a genuine I.M. Corona Old Boy. I must admit, not surprisingly, the genuine article is a better lighter; tighter fit and finish, better machining, smoother operation. But the price difference, $120 VS 13.80, doesn't match up to the lighter quality. I use both the knock-offs and the genuine Old Boy and I expect the Old Boy to outlast the cheap versions, but the knock-offs are going strong at three years.
Here is a link if you're so inclined, it's a bit different than my version but it's the same concept. Note that the knock-offs use IM Corona flints.
I bought three to save on shipping. They did not hold up daily pocket carrying. The thumb screw that hold the flint worked it self free and on all three and I couldn't get any of them to hold until the darn things fell off and I lost pieces. On all three. It was a risk worth taking.

I had a Xicar Resource 2. Smallish fuel capacity but a large can of butane at home and a small can in the work bag, I was never in a tough spot so to say. The tamper on the lighter helped too. Sadly, I misplaced it somewhere or it I couldn't find after my car was totalled a few years back.

I have a Zippo insert that does the job but it has an even smaller fuel supply than the Xicar. It does the job and takes up little space. Plus I get the Zippo sound and the flair of whatever Zippo body I put it in.

Potentially controversial alternative: super cool holder for Bic lighters. Probably not as many of them as there used to be, but my grandparents and their friends all had them in the 80’s. Still see them around from time to time. Personally I’m a big fan of Clipper lighters for my pipe lighting needs. I can usually keep one in service for a year or so refilling and reflinting before they just don’t do it any more. I feel less bad about the disposability aspect as I get about 10x the life of a bic.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
While I have almost ran 2 random cans recently of cheapo butane through the old boy without issue, this has been flowing for probably 4 years. A 6 pack lasts a long time and no issues. I wonder if it really matters for a good lighter? We always hear it doe$. View attachment 1515492
I’ve seen good butane lighters seriously impaired by poor fuel, to the point of failure. The Old Boy has a built in carbon filter, so it can tolerate lower quality fuel for a time … until that filter reaches capacity. Then, you’re rolling the dice.

Not many lighters have on board fuel filters like an Old Boy. I don’t think the Pipemaster has one, and I doubt any lighter under $100 is going to have one.

The difference between the cheap stuff and the premium butanes is only a couple dollars. Smart insurance for a $100 to $200+ lighter. The same reason to use only genuine Corona flints in an Old Boy; harder Zippo and generic flints will prematurely wear down the flint wheel.

I used Vector for a number of years in my Pipemaster. It was good fuel, no problems.

I’ve seen good butane lighters seriously impaired by poor fuel, to the point of failure. The Old Boy has a built in carbon filter, so it can tolerate lower quality fuel for a time … until that filter reaches capacity. Then, you’re rolling the dice.

Not many lighters have on board fuel filters like an Old Boy. I don’t think the Pipemaster has one, and I doubt any lighter under $100 is going to have one.

The difference between the cheap stuff and the premium butanes is only a couple dollars. Smart insurance for a $100 to $200+ lighter. The same reason to use only genuine Corona flints in an Old Boy; harder Zippo and generic flints will prematurely wear down the flint wheel.

I used Vector for a number of years in my Pipemaster. It was good fuel, no problems.
Good info, thank you. Vector is my usual, will continue with it. 323A9D5B-3349-43EB-B99C-CCE82C929093.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I am a huge zippo fan. Sure, they need refills more frequently and a bit more maintenance but they are the lighter for me. A very satisfying and familiar "click" and on even a very windy day I can successfully light and enjoy my pipe. Then when I'm done, that lovely "click" and back into the pocket. I have a knock off butane and like it but even the slightest breeze makes it unusable for lighting outside...a deal breaker for me.

Plus, what's cooler then a Zippo? American made beauty and simplicity.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I am a huge zippo fan. Sure, they need refills more frequently and a bit more maintenance but they are the lighter for me. A very satisfying and familiar "click" and on even a very windy day I can successfully light and enjoy my pipe. Then when I'm done, that lovely "click" and back into the pocket. I have a knock off butane and like it but even the slightest breeze makes it unusable for lighting outside...a deal breaker for me.

Plus, what's cooler then a Zippo? American made beauty and simplicity.

Zippos are an institution. I still treasure mine; that's why I carry a 'disposable' Lotus in the woods.

And they're tasteless if you are patient with them.

But I can appreciate the constant fueling issue.

Reactions: ctr
I have a butane lighter I got on Amazon for $15.99 and I have had good luck with it.

Torch Lighter, Fuel Refillable Butane Lighter, Adjustable Jet Flame Lighter

It's a Torch LcFun brand. I've had it for about 18 months now and it still works great.

Like Columbo said it his post #27, you have to use good fuel. I use a supreme quality butane called Lucienne. It

has zero impurities.​

Torch.jpg

I looked at my can of butane this weekend and it is colibri. I think that's one of the better ones?

@luvmysuper said that you can get affordable, reliable, and refillable and pick 2, but my Zippo is all three of those things, it just needs to be refilled quite a bit, but that's still less messing around then my cheap headache butanes.

I appreciate the suggestions of the old boy and pipemaster, but I guess at this point I would rather invest that money in another nicer pipe than a lighter. Maybe down the road I will upgrade to the corona old boy, as the general consensus seems to be that is the one to get.

Reactions: ctr

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I looked at my can of butane this weekend and it is colibri. I think that's one of the better ones?

@luvmysuper said that you can get affordable, reliable, and refillable and pick 2, but my Zippo is all three of those things, it just needs to be refilled quite a bit, but that's still less messing around then my cheap headache butanes.

I appreciate the suggestions of the old boy and pipemaster, but I guess at this point I would rather invest that money in another nicer pipe than a lighter. Maybe down the road I will upgrade to the corona old boy, as the general consensus seems to be that is the one to get.
Well, I meant as far as a butane lighters go.
There are some lighters available at the various online shops that are about 15 bucks, but I had to buy two to get one that worked properly. The other one I had to constantly fight the flame adjustment screw.
The one that works, I've had for a couple of months and it seems to be holding up so far, but it's really early in the life-cycle yet.

Top Bottom