What's new

Good (budget) first brush - recommendations?

I've been using my father-in-law's rubberset brush as a loaner, since he got me into DE shaving about a month ago now. I am now looking at getting my own brush, and am looking for what people might recommend for a good first brush, especially for someone on a budget. I am using AoS shave cream (not soap), so I am not quite sure if I should go with a stiffer bristle or not.. Any help/thoughts/ideas would be great!

Thank you!

How much would you like to spend? Do you prefer badger or boar, or does it make a difference? If you like boars, I'd recommend the Semogue 1305. You can pick one up for about $25. I bought one about two years ago and used it as my everyday brush before I upgraded to a Semogue Owners Club boar a few months ago. The 1305 is now my travel brush, and I still enjoy using it. I don't think you can get a better brush at that price.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A quality Semogue boar would be nice to start with. If you want a quality badger I suggest a Simpson in Best.

I'm looking for under $30 to start for a brush. I've seen some real budget ones (under $10) at the local drug start (one was a Wilkinson Sword).. but I figure you get what you pay for in terms of quality, reliability and how long it will last...

How much would you like to spend? Do you prefer badger or boar, or does it make a difference? If you like boars, I'd recommend the Semogue 1305. You can pick one up for about $25. I bought one about two years ago and used it as my everyday brush before I upgraded to a Semogue Owners Club boar a few months ago. The 1305 is now my travel brush, and I still enjoy using it. I don't think you can get a better brush at that price.

Setting a price is important! If you want to stay in the under $30 range, I would HIGHLY recommend you order a Semogue Owners Club boar from vintagescent.com for $28 (assume you are in the US).

I've always had excellent results with the Vulfix 2234 in best. It was one of my first brushes, and I still reach for it often. :thumbup1:

Vulfix 223x is a great brush...very soft, luxurious and lathers very well. You will spend more, but it's a very good value for what you are getting.

A quality Semogue boar would be nice to start with. If you want a quality badger I suggest a Simpson in Best.

Listen to just about anything ^this guy^ says! From my experience he will not steer you wrong.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Some excellent brushes are the Semogue 1800, 1250 and 1305. All within your budget.

Good brush for not too much money = boar. Try a Semogue or Omega. I just bought an Omega for about $10 from West Coast Shaving that I'm very pleased with. It whips up a great mountain of lather and is plenty soft enough for face lathering. The knot is small but I like that because it doesn't splay.

I wholeheartedly agree with Marco about Semogue brushes. Another brush to consider, in addition to the brushes Marco pointed out, is the 620; it's just fantastic.

I recommend a Rooney 3/1 in Super from Vintage Blades if you are considering a badger brush.

+1 ... and the EJ Best Medium if you can bump your budget up to about $40.

I'm looking for under $30 to start for a brush. I've seen some real budget ones (under $10) at the local drug start (one was a Wilkinson Sword).. but I figure you get what you pay for in terms of quality, reliability and how long it will last...
If you have a CVS drugstore near you, the VdH DELUXE brush with a white handle is a good choice, under $9 with tax. Don't buy the cheaper VdH Natural with a green or blue handle, the DELUXE is much higher quality for only a few dollars more. As far as I know, CVS has an exlusive on the white handle VdH, I've never seen them anywhere else. When you go to the store to get one, if they have several on the shelf, open each one and examine the knots and the handles to make sure you get the best one there.

Or ... maybe your dad has some other brushes he can loan you. That will give you a chance to try out different sizes and different knots and see what works best for you before you plunk down the money.

I think the WhippedDog brushes are great deals. I think Silvertip might be hard with some soaps for a newbie, but the black badger for $16 was a great deal. Good beginner too IMO because you will likely not be face lathering and the scritch isn't bad at all when bowl lathering, I use mine a ton.

If you have a CVS drugstore near you, the VdH DELUXE brush with a white handle is a good choice, under $9 with tax. Don't buy the cheaper VdH Natural with a green or blue handle, the DELUXE is much higher quality for only a few dollars more. As far as I know, CVS has an exlusive on the white handle VdH, I've never seen them anywhere else. When you go to the store to get one, if they have several on the shelf, open each one and examine the knots and the handles to make sure you get the best one there.
Thanks for posting this. I didn't know and will check out my nearest CVS tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know and will check out my nearest CVS tomorrow.
I forgot to mention that the VdH DELUXE is a boar bristle brush. It will require the normal break-in treatment like any other boar. Be patient, don't rush it, but a month or so from when you buy it it will be ready to shave, and it just keeps getting better and better the more you use it.

I think the WhippedDog brushes are great deals. I think Silvertip might be hard with some soaps for a newbie, but the black badger for $16 was a great deal. Good beginner too IMO because you will likely not be face lathering and the scritch isn't bad at all when bowl lathering, I use mine a ton.

+1

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/find/brushes-knots/page:1

I use a 24mm fine badger from these guys, high quality brush for the money and you can pick what knot you like and pick the handle you like and they will put it together and ship it to you

Top Bottom