What's new

Good backpack that won't break the bank?

I have been doing a lot of hunting this year, and have basically destroyed a cheap backpack in the process.

I am looking for recommendations for a decently sturdy backpack, preferably some form of camo or olive drab in color, that will stand up to hunting conditions but won't cost a fortune. Has anyone had good results with a moderately priced backpack?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Give red oxx mfg a look
made in usa. Not that cheap but i think you get what you pay for

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SpecOps Gear dot com.

Rock hard gear, I have three of their packs and have to will them to a nephew someday.

AA

Lightweight or rugged, you will most likely have to choose between these two choices if you hope to keep it cheap. Alternatively, look at milsurp backpacks. The easiest place to look through these will be near an US Army Ft.
If you are not CONUS, as I might guess, you can try a number of online sites or look locally for an Army-Navy Type Shop.

My brother-in-law got one from Bass Pro Shops a few years ago. It looks similar to this one.
upload_2018-11-22_8-1-19.png

He is an avid hunter and when I visited him last week I saw it in his garage. It was well made and has easy access to various compartments.

Tactical Tailor or 5.11 Rush 24. I use both during deer season. Both are excellent. The TT is a tad less complicated to use but the 5.11 packs easier.

What sort of hunting? Woods, hills, climbing, or? What are you doing that is harder than backpacking, day hikes? Weight? What are you carrying? How big a pack do you need?

What sort of hunting? Woods, hills, climbing, or? What are you doing that is harder than backpacking, day hikes? Weight? What are you carrying? How big a pack do you need?

It needs to be big enough to pack a gallon of water, turkey calls, extra gloves, tree stand accessories, a few extra shells, a skinning knife, some protein bars, and assorted odds and ends. I've been using a 40 liter back pack and wouldn't want to go much smaller.

No overnights so far, strictly day stuff. Ranging from fairly steep wooded hills and valleys in the foothills of the Appalachians to fields and meadows with heavy briar patches. Needs to be stout enough to drag up rocky wooded hills and through thick cover while hauling probably 25 or 30 pounds max.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will take a hard look at all of these.
SpecOps runs regular, extreme sales ... never pay retail!

I got their copy of the ALICE pack very inexpensively when they were discontinued ... way better than the original IMHO.

AA

What type of hunting? That would help define the level of pack you need.
Having said that, I have used the Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack and frame
and for the price they are hard to beat.

What type of hunting? That would help define the level of pack you need.
Having said that, I have used the Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack and frame
and for the price they are hard to beat.
Turkey, deer, squirrel, black bear. Day trips through relatively heavy Appalachian cover and hills. I need around 40 liters of space.

Top Bottom