What's new

Good audiophile headphones for mobile use

I'm looking for suggestions regarding headphones and or earbuds that would be good for travelling. I want good sound. I have read that Beats are a little bass heavy. Coming from my car audio background I want SQ not just SPL.

I like the Grado iGrado headphones. It's a well-established audio company specializing in 'phones and phono cartridges.

Thank you for the suggestions. Hopefully something will make it under the Christmas tree.

I'd say Grado or Denon. Grados are very neutral. Creative makes a pair that is well reviewed.

Get a headphone amp too. They make a world of difference.

This place is really great for all kinds of information!

I think this is due to the fact that this forum is full of people who don't mind looking a little further than mass marketed stuff and appreciate the better things in life. How else would one get into traditional shaving these days.

You may not get as much responses on your audio related questions as you would on a forum like headfi.org but I value the opinions over here more.

I have a pair of Grado SR125i's that I absolutely love. Coming from car audio myself, its about more than big bass. Clarity is excellent, and I love the unsealed design of them. Maybe not the best for traveling, but I have used them on planes (multiple times) and out in public with no complaints about noise leakage.

Very diverse opinions but... you mentioned "good for travelling"... what kind of travel? Air, land, sea, train, car, bus... I went down this road a few years back because I wanted some quality headphones for frequent air travel (20+ weeks per year... Last week Norfolk, VA; this week San Diego and later this month Fairbanks, AK) and ended full circle back with a pair of Bose QC15's.... not because they were the best sounding or the best price, but because Bose pretty much has the noise canceling technology down pat. I know any and every audiophile loves to rip into the sound quality of Bose products (not just the headphones) but for frequent travel via airplane there is nothing better that I have come accross. Than being said I probably will never go spend $2000+ on a set of Stax Electrostatics (I bet they sound amazing) but sometimes sitting in my living room I wish I had better sounding headphones in my arsenal.

For 25-30$ Sound magic earbuds compete with the big boys!
They outshined my Sures thats for 'sure' lol!
Ordering from mainland China is a pain though.

Very diverse opinions but... you mentioned "good for travelling"... what kind of travel? Air, land, sea, train, car, bus... I went down this road a few years back because I wanted some quality headphones for frequent air travel (20+ weeks per year... Last week Norfolk, VA; this week San Diego and later this month Fairbanks, AK) and ended full circle back with a pair of Bose QC15's.... not because they were the best sounding or the best price, but because Bose pretty much has the noise canceling technology down pat. I know any and every audiophile loves to rip into the sound quality of Bose products (not just the headphones) but for frequent travel via airplane there is nothing better that I have come accross. Than being said I probably will never go spend $2000+ on a set of Stax Electrostatics (I bet they sound amazing) but sometimes sitting in my living room I wish I had better sounding headphones in my arsenal.

That is a very good point sir. I don't do much air travel, but when I do, the Grados are ok. More for home and light mobile use I suppose. I actually owned a pair of those noise cancelling Triports for a day before I returned them and got my Grados. Not quite where I wanted them for sound quality for home use, but I can see how they would be most excellent for frequent air (and different types of) travel.

GREAT THREAD! I'm an audiophile and I didn't even know some of these brands made mobile headphones. Thanks!

For earbuds I love the Bose MIE2i's. Super comfortable vs Apple ones - you could wear them all day. I haven't even touched the new earphones I got with my iPhone 5. The Bose buds provide great sound for $100. The Beats were too bassy for me.

Beats are too bassE for me too. I found the Bose to be okay, but not worth the money. For the money, $59.99, I found the Ultimate Ears to be of great quality and sound but nowhere near what a real audiophile would qualify as worthy. They are a great compromise though...hey, I just had a kid doesn't that give me a pass? The Focal's in the house speak for themselves.

Sounds like Bose may be the way to go for travelling and my regular cheap buds will work for running, etc. Although with so many choices I may have to go on a field trip to test some of these options out.

Top Bottom