What's new

Gonna try to catch a game at AT&T Park in SF this weekend

Best candy hands down, Christopher Elbow.
Hadn't heard of this artisanal chocolate maker. Thought it was all about Ghirardelli here! We were in Ghirardelli Square earlier today before taking a dip at the Aquatic Center (Brrrrr!) and walking over the Golden Gate. Another great day!

Wow. Got a look at Tenderloin today, coming up Leavenworth from Market St. Gotta say, I haven't seen that in other major cities I've visited. We got a glimpse a few days ago coming down Mason and looking west up Eddy. Glad we didn't try to get to AT&T that way last Saturday. However, after the game we walked right up the Embarcadero where the recent random shooting on the pier next to the Ferry Building occured. Still enjoying the trip and feeling safe here!

ADD: Broadway is a pretty colorful place after dark!

Last edited:
Tenderloin is not a place for tourist. That is the only place to be cautious. Glad you are enjoying your time there. I once found a guy from the suburbs lost in the Tenderloin and I got him out safely. Talk about a guy scared out of his wits! Last time he walks down there.

Forgot to mention that we viewed that area from the relative safety of an Uber Sentra coming back to Nob Hill from SFO.

I read about the areas to avoid in SF in a thread here before leaving FL. Still couldn't have imagined what I saw on Golden Gate and Turk on either side of Leavenworth.

SF's "bad" area is pretty tame compared to what it used to be, and it's barely 10 square blocks.
Places like Philly and Baltimore have square miles of much worse.

I suppose you could add Miami and several other large metropolitan areas, too. Just odd to go so abruptly from the high end shopping, downtown financial district, to that.

I suppose you could add Miami and several other large metropolitan areas, too. Just odd to go so abruptly from the high end shopping, downtown financial district, to that.

My intro to the Tenderloin a few years back was pretty fun - came out of a cocktail reception pretty hammered, took a wrong turn, and stumbled up and down those streets in a full suit and tie at 7pm on a weekday. Got more than few interesting offers and comments :)

I used to travel to SF on business quite a bit. One time I had an arbitration hearing that was held at a meeting room of the Hilton at O'Farrell St. The hearing was to begin at 10:00 a.m. I had instructed my witnesses to meet me at 7:00. All my witnesses except for one , my "star witness," appeared on time. He arrived at 11:00 a.m. It turned out that he visited the Tenderloin in the early hours and solicited what he thought was a hooker but who turned out to be a police women. He was arrested, his rental car was impounded, and and he didn't get released until after 9:00 a.m. His vision of easy going SF was shattered as was his reputation.

So there is a police presence there, then! I read (online blog, so grain of salt taken) that two adjoining police precincts claim it is the responsibility of the other to patrol the worst of it, so it doesn't get done.

LOOOOOOOOL, I wish I read this sooner, I could give you a list of the BEST things to do in SJ and S.F,
The pier isn't one of them. Eh, kind of a local rule of thumb to never visit the pier as it's a waste of time and money.
You should have gone to hot cookie in castro and had a big black penis cookie with coconut sprinkle on the tip. I'm not even joking(sorry mods for this one, but there is no other way I could have tip-toed around the BBpC) , but the cookies are amazing.
Or gone to bi-rite in the castro and gotten some amazing ice cream and chilled at Dolores park.

You could have made a day/night trip up to Lick observatory in San Jose too and see ALL of the bay area and taken a tour. It's among one of the biggest telescopes around.

Or you could have seen the amateur Giants team play in Japan town in SJ, after having some really good sushi and a walk around the botanic garden that's right next to one of the first actual japan towns in this country.

Ugh, this is why I hate tourist spots, you waste all that time and don't get a chance to see the really cool stuff.

Sigh*

And not to mention the Local professional soccer team, San Jose Earthquakes are playing in their stadium as well...They suck, but it's a shiny new stadium with the biggest open bar in the country. :p

The Quakes played Portland when we were there. Shoulda headed down. And I will concede that the least exciting place was Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf. In-N-Out Burger included! Will not forget to ask in advance next time, though I did look at an existing couple of threads!

The Quakes played Portland when we were there. Shoulda headed down. And I will concede that the least exciting place was Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf. In-N-Out Burger included! Will not forget to ask in advance next time, though I did look at an existing couple of threads!
Hahaha, alright, as long as you ask next time :p

LOOOOOOOOL, I wish I read this sooner, I could give you a list of the BEST things to do in SJ and S.F,
The pier isn't one of them. Eh, kind of a local rule of thumb to never visit the pier as it's a waste of time and money.
You should have gone to hot cookie in castro and had a big black penis cookie with coconut sprinkle on the tip. I'm not even joking(sorry mods for this one, but there is no other way I could have tip-toed around the BBpC) , but the cookies are amazing.
Or gone to bi-rite in the castro and gotten some amazing ice cream and chilled at Dolores park.

You could have made a day/night trip up to Lick observatory in San Jose too and see ALL of the bay area and taken a tour. It's among one of the biggest telescopes around.

Or you could have seen the amateur Giants team play in Japan town in SJ, after having some really good sushi and a walk around the botanic garden that's right next to one of the first actual japan towns in this country.

Ugh, this is why I hate tourist spots, you waste all that time and don't get a chance to see the really cool stuff.

Sigh*

I think this was a family vacation type thing, no? You make good suggestions, but not ones that are really realistic with kids and family in tow in a short period of time. For a SECOND trip to the Bay Area, yes, absolutely!

I say kids, but both are 20+! They could have handled The Castro! Along those lines, we woke up that first Friday morning to helicopters above town hall covering the celebration for the Supreme Court decision. Lots of memories from a little over a week in the city! And plenty to check out next time!

I say kids, but both are 20+! They could have handled The Castro! Along those lines, we woke up that first Friday morning to helicopters above town hall covering the celebration for the Supreme Court decision. Lots of memories from a little over a week in the city! And plenty to check out next time!

:lol:

Top Bottom