What's new

Gonna try the Jnat once more

Picked up an Ozuku Koppa stone and really have no hard fast ideas on how I’m going to use it.
I have been told a well worn 1200 DMT plate can be used for a slurry. What about a coticule slurry stone?
Or even Coe Arkansas?
I’m working on the idea that a Jnat goes through the paces like a coticule? I mostly want to use this as a finisher. Advice?

I dont recommend using your coticule slurry stone, as you will get garnet particles in your slurry. Might aswell use the coticule then. I have used the backside of my coticule slurry stone though which is black slate to work up a thin slurry.
You can also grab a random rock which is harder than your base stone and make it flat on your diamond plate. That has given me pretty decent results. Slurry from a diamond plate can work but the starting particles will be large aswell. That really didnt work out for me, guess it depends on the stone in how fast the particles break down?

Found a nagura from CKTG that didn’t break the bank. We’re going to be using that for the time

Ozuku generally are very hard. If you use nagura it may take a very long time to break down. The diamond plate is your friend especially with that ozuku IMO.

Got the notification from CKTG last night and picked one up too. I'll be trying it out with Atoma 1200 slurry. I'll let you know what I find.

Atoma 1200 can be used. A DMT 1200 will end up sticking to the stone or maybe even losing the diamonds on it. Even the atoma 1200 isn't recommended for lapping. You can use a DMT 325 though.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
An old worn out piece of Atoma 1200 is what I use when I want a DN slurry.

Dumb question. What is “DN”?
I have a King 8k natural stone that I was thinking about using just for slurry. Not sure how this stone will arrive from CKTG but if it needs lapping I’ll use SiC. Maybe at 600 grit

Last edited:
Dumb question. What is “DN”?
I have a King 8k natural stone that I was thinking about using just for slurry. Not sure how this stone will arrive from CKTG but if it needs lapping I’ll use SiC. Maybe at 600 grit
DN-diamond nagura

Picked up an Ozuku Koppa stone and really have no hard fast ideas on how I’m going to use it.
I have been told a well worn 1200 DMT plate can be used for a slurry. What about a coticule slurry stone?
Or even Coe Arkansas?
I’m working on the idea that a Jnat goes through the paces like a coticule? I mostly want to use this as a finisher. Advice?

I don’t use DMT plates for slurry on Jnats. For one, some use them compulsively every time they “fire up” their stone and given the rarity, cost and precious resources these stones can represent I think it’s a waste of valuable stone. And since it’s not needed or necessary it makes little sense. Yet, people do it.

But even if a DMT isn’t used every time, there are definitely other ways to achieve great slurry results.

DMTs are great for lapping and if you’ve got the right grit they really remove stone fast. With that idea in mind, it seems a harsh method of slurry building.

I’ve a collection of Jnats from just about every grit range and from many different strata and mines. I never use DMT plates for slurry. Literally never. But this is because I’ve accumulated relatively inexpensive tomos to compliment the investment of a Jnat. The other thing I prefer about tomos for slurry is that they themselves impart benefits to your edge in relation to the Jnat you are using that you may not get with a DMT plate. In particular, the tomos impart their own particles and many are very fine and cause a first class, keen and polished edge, while at the same time preserving your precious Jnat.

Last, I’d say it’s actually fun experimenting with different Jnat and tomo combinations. If your goal is merely pragmatic and you aren’t interested in the aesthetic of the honing process its self but just want an A to B experience then DMT plates for slurry are probably the way to go. I just don’t look at honing as a race to get to the finish as quickly as I can. DMT plates are a short cut that takes a lot of the fun out of honing. But again, they have their benefits.

Top Bottom